• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Inside Linebacker Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kenny Young UCLA, ILB:

I've been scouring through linebackers game film, searching for a little sung prospect to get excited about. I'm excited about Kenny Young. He isn't just fast, he reads the action extremely well, both in reading run and vs. a passing game.

Very smart and adept at dropping in coverage, reading flairs to running backs in the flat and covering them or stopping the receiver for a loss.
This guy tackles....let me say that again....he tackles!!! I hate watching linebackers that drag guys down or don't meet ball carriers head on.

Young, perhaps more than any ILB I've scouted in this draft will trust what he sees, shoot the gap and make a play in the backfield...he does this a lot because he studies and understands offensive sets.
Really, these traits show up for him in each game. I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself but I love this prospect. The highlight link is indicative of how he plays all game.....they really are. The instincts, the tackling and the versatility.

ASU is undoubtedly his worst game.....ASU does a nice job of getting up on him and he seems hesitant in this game. There are some extenuating circumstances if you dig a little ( aka excuses), but don't start with this game....work your way into it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Kenny Young UCLA, ILB:

I've been scouring through linebackers game film, searching for a little sung prospect to get excited about. I'm excited about Kenny Young. He isn't just fast, he reads the action extremely well, both in reading run and vs. a passing game.

Very smart and adept at dropping in coverage, reading flairs to running backs in the flat and covering them or stopping the receiver for a loss.
This guy tackles....let me say that again....he tackles!!! I hate watching linebackers that drag guys down or don't meet ball carriers head on.

Young, perhaps more than any ILB I've scouted in this draft will trust what he sees, shoot the gap and make a play in the backfield...he does this a lot because he studies and understands offensive sets.
Really, these traits show up for him in each game. I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself but I love this prospect. The highlight link is indicative of how he plays all game.....they really are. The instincts, the tackling and the versatility.

ASU is undoubtedly his worst game.....ASU does a nice job of getting up on him and he seems hesitant in this game. There are some extenuating circumstances if you dig a little ( aka excuses), but don't start with this game....work your way into it.

Holy shit I'm loving his highlights. First glance I like him more than Darius leonad

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Holy shit I'm loving his highlights. First glance I like him more than Darius leonad
Watch him!!!! I'm hooked man...even the ASU tape that I poo pooed, I'm starting to love.
This guy trusts his gut and shoots gaps and stops guys...with Brandon and Pierce in front of him this guy is magic.

He's really really a smart football player.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Leighton Vander Esch has had a private visit with the Ravens per Walter Football.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Genard Avery...Memphis

plays a lot of OLB with Memphis and watching him at ILB is a little harder to find but this is where he will play for us.
this guy is a stud athlete...outstanding speed sideline to sideline. I watched him awhile ago and am now revisiting....
so far as his edge play: do you know how Rashaan Evans is lauded for his abilities as a pass rusher? But it almost as an aside...you know, he's good...for an inside linebacker.

Forget about that. he can't touch Avery in that regard. What a burst he has off the edge! He also has the ability to bend and turn the corner and finish. Pretty good hand fighter with some power to knock guys off balance. His primary role will be inside next to CJ in our defense but make no mistake: he is a weapon off the edge and a real presence that will need accounting

His UCLA tape and his WESTERN KENTUCKY tape offer good chances to see him inside....This guy just jumps off the film. I can't believe this guy isn't getting more buzz. Great instincts vs. the run with an ability to split double teams and chase down the ball carrier. I have no idea where he gets drafted but I think this guy is a star. I'm shocked how little I hear about both he and Kenny Young. I love both prospects.

And I should mention: Ravens have brought him in for a private workout.

Simba

Staff Member
anyone got any thoughts on fred warner?

i really like him, especially as a fit here as a coverage first linebacker type guy who's physical enough to set the edge and deal with the run inside

Um me yeah.... he’s good. Modern day nfl linebacker and would fit perfectly next to Mosley.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
anyone got any thoughts on fred warner?

i really like him, especially as a fit here as a coverage first linebacker type guy who's physical enough to set the edge and deal with the run inside
I just can't get behind taking another athletic OLB and putting him at ILB hoping his instincts developp. It just doesn't seem to work. Give me a true ILB and let's not talk about it anymore.