• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Battling, The Injuries and More Injuries

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
not only that but i think that was justin tucker's first ever successful career onside kick

but since they changed the kickoff rules the onside kick has been even tougher to achieve than it was before - it's bizarre that there were 2 successful ones today (giants also got one)
Also was kind of a "lucky" onside kick. I don't think you draw it up for the ball to hit a defender who's not paying attention, which is what happened. But onside kicks require a level of randomness anyway.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m tired of hearing about how we’re lucky to have 8 wins, we’ve been pretty unlucky the last few weeks and we’ve definitely been unlucky with injuries

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also was kind of a "lucky" onside kick. I don't think you draw it up for the ball to hit a defender who's not paying attention, which is what happened. But onside kicks require a level of randomness anyway.

they're an awful play for what they're designed to do
the likelihood of success was already low before they changed the kickoff rules

if they want these types of endings to happen more frequently they'll have to do something to fix it either by changing the onside kick rules or by adding in a different option to try and retain possession (one idea i saw was a 4th and 15 play at the same spot as the kickoff would normally be)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m tired of hearing about how we’re lucky to have 8 wins, we’ve been pretty unlucky the last few weeks and we’ve definitely been unlucky with injuries
True, but its regression to the mean. Pretty much no team can expect to win like 8-9 one possession games every year. Those games are coin flips most of the time.
The fact that we won damn near every close, tight game, earlier in the season, only fortified the position that eventually you'll still losing late ones.
Hence, Pittsburgh or Cleveland.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
True, but its regression to the mean. Pretty much no team can expect to win like 8-9 one possession games every year. Those games are coin flips most of the time.
The fact that we won damn near every close, tight game, earlier in the season, only fortified the position that eventually you'll still losing late ones.
Hence, Pittsburgh or Cleveland.
And we're not even the only purple team to be in each close game minus a couple of them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

yet kevin harlan and trent green were riding baker's dick the whole game

especially that absurd commentary about a great throw that @Edgar called out straight away in the game thread too - it was some floaty comeback where the receiver was wide open and it still took a while to get there

idk what was going on but was really frustrating watching them praise baker constantly while his offence sputtered in both phases and scored 0 points in the 2nd half and totalled less than 200 yds passing against a defensive backfield missing 3 of it's 4 starting DBs as well as a 3rd backup corner too

like the cognitive dissonance of their praise vs what was actually happening on the field was wild

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
lol - even in his own subreddit he's getting talked down by browns fans
but why would you bring this infuriating nonsense here lol

this isnt reddit for a reason haha
It triggered me I needed to share with you guys. That poster also acted like the Browns are a more accomplished franchise too

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

yet kevin harlan and trent green were riding baker's dick the whole game

especially that absurd commentary about a great throw that @Edgar called out straight away in the game thread too - it was some floaty comeback where the receiver was wide open and it still took a while to get there

idk what was going on but was really frustrating watching them praise baker constantly while his offence sputtered in both phases and scored 0 points in the 2nd half and totalled less than 200 yds passing against a defensive backfield missing 3 of it's 4 starting DBs as well as a 3rd backup corner too

like the cognitive dissonance of their praise vs what was actually happening on the field was wild

Well he wasn't terrible in the first half. Actually was better than I expected him to be.
But yes, he was terrible in the second half, as was the whole Browns offense. They just got ignored because they had like a 21 point lead and the only thing anybody cared about was whether Lamar was going to come back.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If anyone wants to get real pissed

It doesn't piss me off. He's not really that wrong either. Browns are pretty banged up too. Not as badly as the Ravens, but that's also kind of irrelevant at this point, because its getting old talking about the guys who aren't here, especially when they're not coming back either.

Every Browns fan on the planet realizes that they're going nowhere. It's just a question if they want to admit it or not. They've got an outside chance of making the playoffs (likely as a division winner), but they'll be an underdog against every playoff team they would play and almost certainly will lose.

They're easily the most disappointing team of the season, and its not close.

They beat us yesterday because they outplayed us. He's right about that. And quite frankly, the minimum acceptable outcome is a close win. They had three weeks to prepare for the Ravens and only the Ravens, and two weeks to prepare for a rematch. I would expect almost any team playing at home in those circumstances to win.

Why do Browns fans think nobody on Earth came out of that game thinking the Browns are legit?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It doesn't piss me off. He's not really that wrong either. Browns are pretty banged up too. Not as badly as the Ravens, but that's also kind of irrelevant at this point, because its getting old talking about the guys who aren't here, especially when they're not coming back either.

Every Browns fan on the planet realizes that they're going nowhere. It's just a question if they want to admit it or not. They've got an outside chance of making the playoffs (likely as a division winner), but they'll be an underdog against every playoff team they would play and almost certainly will lose.

They beat us yesterday because they outplayed us. He's right about that. And quite frankly, the minimum acceptable outcome is a close win. They had three weeks to prepare for the Ravens and only the Ravens, and two weeks to prepare for a rematch. I would expect almost any team playing at home in those circumstances to win.

Why do Browns fans think nobody on Earth came out of that game thinking the Browns are legit?

I think partly the denial they’ve got right now is that they’ve got the best qb they’ve had in well over a decade and maybe decades...

and he’s fine but probably not good enough to take them to the summit

and they’ve got a decision to make either this year or the one after

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor

Just because we’re tired of talking about our injuries doesn’t mean it’s largely irrelevant, we lost Lamar after one quarter for crying out loud. And they’ve lost their guys for a handful of games, not the whole season like us.

They just outplayed us, but only just. You could see Huntley’s fumbles coming from a mile away, it really changed the game

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Just because we’re tired of talking about our injuries doesn’t mean it’s largely irrelevant, we lost Lamar after one quarter for crying out loud. And they’ve lost their guys for a handful of games, not the whole season like us.

They just outplayed us, but only just. You could see Huntley’s fumbles coming from a mile away, it really changed the game

I'm know people are going to like this, but the offense wasn't doing shit until Huntley stepped in the game. Ultimately the fumbles did us in but there at least seemed to be a rhythm. Lamar taking some games off might hopefully reset him mentally.