• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Battling, The Injuries and More Injuries

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Simms and boomer never coached and played in an era that is entirely foreign to what football is now, cowhers credentials are no better than harbaughs and he coached in an era where you didn’t need an elite qb to win a super bowl.

I could give a fuck what they say lol, they are there to talk, not because of their wisdom.
Agree. They have name recognition and that's about it. Also, the Giants, Steelers and Bengals can go fuck themself. Although Boomer did play at Maryland, so there is that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Except time after time after time after time we have seen the effect momentum has on games. We have seen the effect especially on young inexperience players. You are right that Huntley looked okay (after a mess in between) after, but this is one of those times I think you want to take the win on a drive and delay the point of no return as long as possible.

people do not recognize momentum until after it already has happened - it's an "after-the-facts" explanation for the a few successful plays in a row (or series of plays or series of series)... when a team is said to have momentum it is because they've had several good plays one right after the other or in a short space

and it's regarded as precious and important until a bad play happens and then it's assumed that it's just not there anymore

but if it's that fleeting and fragile then it's meaningless to preserve it by not optimising your situations - taking a PAT to conserve momentum suggests inherently that momentum's not real because if it was then surely that's the perfect time to try a 2 pt conversion because you've got the momentum helping you

but also not that significant anyway (the 2 pt conversion to momentum) because it didnt really change anything in the gameflow - we had one poor drive but after that was straight back into the game seemingly with that same momentum

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What a shame we couldn’t score on that last drive, would have been storybook stuff. I knew the percentage of successful on side kicks was low, but didn’t realize it was less than 5% last year.
https://thegamehaus.com/nfl/inside-the-numbers-behind-why-the-onside-kick-needs-to-go/2021/02/19/

Huntley while making a couple of mistakes really showed up in a more than tough situation.

not only that but i think that was justin tucker's first ever successful career onside kick

but since they changed the kickoff rules the onside kick has been even tougher to achieve than it was before - it's bizarre that there were 2 successful ones today (giants also got one)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Same play design as our 4th & 6, slant to the receiver that is caught then the YAC come into play for the first. Fields had the time in the pocket to make the play happen. I think if we solve our offensive line issues it will fix a lot of what is wrong with our offense.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

sounds like browns fans were jeering and heckling lamar as he was being carted off too...

stay classy cleveland

I sincerely hate that team and fanbase.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Same play design as our 4th & 6, slant to the receiver that is caught then the YAC come into play for the first. Fields had the time in the pocket to make the play happen. I think if we solve our offensive line issues it will fix a lot of what is wrong with our offense.

Difference here is GB rushed only 4, but yeah fixing O line would go a lot of good in a lot of different ways.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

not the same at all - this was just a slant in a normal progression

ours was vs a zero blitz where there’s a free rusher because the browns sent 1 more guy than we can block so the ball has to come out quick to the hot read

only similarity is that we threw to the slant and even that’s not quite the same because they had the slant come from the motion man

I’m not disputing the general thesis that the OL being better would fix a ton of issues - just that this play’s not really the same at all

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

We had a rb do that option?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

sounds like browns fans were jeering and heckling lamar as he was being carted off too...

stay classy cleveland

this will keep them from ever winning the super bowl and if they do, the WTF will have to win first and that will never happen again.

marklar

Pro Bowler
I didn't watch the 2nd half, I didn't like what I was seeing so I did my laundry instead. At least the 2nd half seems to have been more enjoyable.

W.r.t. going for it early or late, I've always wondered why that "conventional wisdom" has been preached by every talking head and many coaches have adhered to it. Do they belive that you have a larger chance of conversion because it is 10 second left than you have with 5 minutes left? Common sense says any such difference is marginal, so in terms of success, it should be the equal.
And as others have said, the one advantage of doing it early is that on failure, you KNOW that you are in desperation++ mode and need two scores and can play with complete abandon in playcalling and hurrying; nothing to lose! If you do not have that information early, it is harder to go all-out and you are much more likely to end of with less time for an onside and a final drive.

I suspect the TV talking heads get freaked out by the word "analytics" since it seems to imply a magical box that spits out the answers that they have spent a lifetime trying to acquire. And then they get a "DEY TUK AAAR JAAABS" kind of reaction. In this case, it isn't much magic or even math, so I don't get that fear. It is quite simple: The more input you have early in a decision process, the more you can adapt to that reality.

Amdrews lined up in slot and was targeted 10x, caught all 10.. sheesh. New schemes coming soon?
There were a couple of nice designs where Huntley hit Andrews up the seam completely wide open for about 10 yards a piece. I guess Cleveland were playing softer coverage at that point but it was good to see.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There were a couple of nice designs where Huntley hit Andrews up the seam completely wide open for about 10 yards a piece. I guess Cleveland were playing softer coverage at that point but it was good to see.

the one on the 4th down where we went quick I think the browns just weren’t set up for - will be interesting to see how he got so open on some of those plays so easily

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not much to say for me. Defense played really well I thought, especially given the injuries.
Offense sucked per usual, Lamar injury is tough to overcome.
Team fought back and stayed in it. A lot of teams roll over and die there. We didn't. Shows you players work hard for each other and the coaches prepare our players to battle through adversity.

Now whether we win another game or not this year remains the biggest ?

What's unfortunate is that, unlike 2015, these injuries are occurring late in the year, and an 9-8 or 8-9 record isn't going to get that good of a draft pick. Top 20, but not top 10.