• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Battling, The Injuries and More Injuries

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm know people are going to like this, but the offense wasn't doing shit until Huntley stepped in the game. Ultimately the fumbles did us in but there at least seemed to be a rhythm. Lamar taking some games off might hopefully reset him mentally.

Huntley also wasn’t able to do anything until we went 3 scores down when the defence naturally changes stylistically to become softer...

I'm know people are going to like this, but the offense wasn't doing shit until Huntley stepped in the game. Ultimately the fumbles did us in but there at least seemed to be a rhythm. Lamar taking some games off might hopefully reset him mentally.
The tape dogs on this board could confirm/refute this, but I suspect that also has to do with a simplified offense to help Huntley settle in. If that's the case, it could be something worth doing for Lamar. Maybe we've been getting too cute.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
there was no simplified offense for Huntley, he just respected offense more and played less in a superhero cape (except for the play where he dodged half the Browns team).
On our first offensive drive, Lamar blew it with 2 attempts to run, where there was nowhere to go.
Huntley isn't half the gamer Lamar is, but he was more productive because he didn't want to play superhero.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The tape dogs on this board could confirm/refute this, but I suspect that also has to do with a simplified offense to help Huntley settle in. If that's the case, it could be something worth doing for Lamar. Maybe we've been getting too cute.

I don’t think the offence changed so much beyond just adjusting first half to second half

think it’s more about the defence playing differently

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just because we’re tired of talking about our injuries doesn’t mean it’s largely irrelevant, we lost Lamar after one quarter for crying out loud. And they’ve lost their guys for a handful of games, not the whole season like us.

They just outplayed us, but only just. You could see Huntley’s fumbles coming from a mile away, it really changed the game
True, but you're better off losing guys for a whole season than the uncertainty of a few games. You get time to learn how to play without them.

Our secondary will be better four weeks after losing Marlon than it will be one week after losing Marlon. They'll improve and learn how to play without.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
No they don't count targets if it is negated by a penalty.

This is what I'm going by.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3116365/mark-andrews

and this

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AndrMa00.htm

PFF also has him 11/11 for 115 yards.
Right. So I believe he had a "drop" that would have been a first down, if there wasn't a penalty. Still trying to find the play, but think I've narrowed it down.

It won't go down as a drop, but I recall it being pretty terrible, and the penalty had nothing to do with his ability to catch the ball.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right. So I believe he had a "drop" that would have been a first down, if there wasn't a penalty. Still trying to find the play, but think I've narrowed it down.

It won't go down as a drop, but I recall it being pretty terrible, and the penalty had nothing to do with his ability to catch the ball.

yoshi on Twitter normally has those sorts of plays tracked maybe...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Yes, I understand that drop was taken away due to penalty and I know he had one. There is no debate about that and you don't need to go through the tape, unless you want to. I also understand the official stat is 11/11. I never said he didn't have a drop that was on penalty. Someone just mentioned that he had 10 catches on 11 targets earlier or something like that.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am very proud of our team to battle like this after the crazy number of injuries we have had this season.

Much respect.

I don’t think the offence changed so much beyond just adjusting first half to second half

think it’s more about the defence playing differently
Harbs was asked by sideline reporter at halftime how he would modify the game plan for Huntley. He said we’re going with our game plan. Huntley has similar skill set and we have faith in him to execute it. Or something to that effect. And based on what I saw that was true. I’m just happy with our backup QB. On two occasions now he has stepped in and played well enough to win a game, and get us into a position to win this past Sunday.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
Harbs was asked by sideline reporter at halftime how he would modify the game plan for Huntley. He said we’re going with our game plan. Huntley has similar skill set and we have faith in him to execute it. Or something to that effect. And based on what I saw that was true. I’m just happy with our backup QB. On two occasions now he has stepped in and played well enough to win a game, and get us into a position to win this past Sunday.

Agreed! He's great value as well, can't ask for much more from an undrafted QB on their rookie contract!

Simba

Staff Member
Not going back to find the post to quote it, but re: Baker… yeah he’s not the best QB but oddly enough, I think he’s exactly what Cleveland needed at the time. They’re going to have to move on and do better, but I feel like he’s the first high pick to actually come in and embrace being a Brown. Most other guys dwell on it but he came in with a fire that we really hadn’t seen before. QB skills aside, he has lit up that fanbase a lot more than most other picks have.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not going back to find the post to quote it, but re: Baker… yeah he’s not the best QB but oddly enough, I think he’s exactly what Cleveland needed at the time. They’re going to have to move on and do better, but I feel like he’s the first high pick to actually come in and embrace being a Brown. Most other guys dwell on it but he came in with a fire that we really hadn’t seen before. QB skills aside, he has lit up that fanbase a lot more than most other picks have.
If I were them, I'd offer him a lengthy deal at somewhat low franchise QB money (probably at like $20-25M a year). That's not going to cripple the franchise at these cap values. If he doesn't like it, he can leave, and I don't think he'll find a strong market in a range above that league-wide. He'll land a starting gig for good money, but I don't see any team paying him above $30M a year at this point.

Cleveland is in a spot with a lot of teams, like Buffalo (not anymore, but before Allen), Jets, Dolphins and a few others, where they don't really have the luxury of being "picky" about their QB. If they manage to draft somebody who's at least competent, I wouldn't be so quick to move off of them just because they're not Brady or elite.

People need to realize some of these franchises have seen multiple decades go by without franchise-level QB play. Baker is probably the best Browns QB they've seen in like 20 years or more. It's a low bar to achieve, but the point being that they've whiffed a TON on QBs, and its not super easy to just say "well he's not great, so lets move on and try again". They could end up with the next Peyton Manning, or the next Mark Sanchez. There's just no way to know.

Simba

Staff Member
If I were them, I'd offer him a lengthy deal at somewhat low franchise QB money (probably at like $20-25M a year). That's not going to cripple the franchise at these cap values. If he doesn't like it, he can leave, and I don't think he'll find a strong market in a range above that league-wide. He'll land a starting gig for good money, but I don't see any team paying him above $30M a year at this point.

Cleveland is in a spot with a lot of teams, like Buffalo (not anymore, but before Allen), Jets, Dolphins and a few others, where they don't really have the luxury of being "picky" about their QB. If they manage to draft somebody who's at least competent, I wouldn't be so quick to move off of them just because they're not Brady or elite.

People need to realize some of these franchises have seen multiple decades go by without franchise-level QB play. Baker is probably the best Browns QB they've seen in like 20 years or more. It's a low bar to achieve, but the point being that they've whiffed a TON on QBs, and its not super easy to just say "well he's not great, so lets move on and try again". They could end up with the next Peyton Manning, or the next Mark Sanchez. There's just no way to know.

I should clarify that when I say move on, I don’t necessarily mean after his rookie contract expires. I think they’ll retain him but not sure he’s the guy that leads them to a super bowl. But he has the moxie that Cleveland needs to put them back on the map and make it a place where QBs don’t dread going like all of the ones before Baker.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I am very proud of our team to battle like this after the crazy number of injuries we have had this season.

Much respect.

It says a ton about these guys (and the coaching staff and the front office) that these guys are this competitive still

next man up is something every team and organisation touts but it truly feels like an ethos here - it’s continuously tested and continuously proven that we can find (and keep) guys who belong

rossihunter2

Staff Member

his long release and pocket awareness could use some work if he ever wants a shot to start in this league but he’s already proven that he’s just about as good a backup for Lamar as you could hope for

only guy in the league who might be better as a backup for Lamar given his skillset, experience (and specifically with Roman) would be tyrod but he’s starting for another team for a reason

rossihunter2

Staff Member

for sure - absolutely perfect for that rebuild - just think he’s taken them as far as he can and that the browns are going to have to take a tough unsentimental decision if they want to get to the top of the conference

baker absolutely re-energised that franchise in the kind of way the jets wish could happen to them - he’s certainly going to be in this league a long time - but for the browns sake I’d hope it’s for another team because the browns have found someone better

as a ravens fan I hope they pay baker a ton of money

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the difference is that they’ve got the surrounding talent right now and (hopefully for their sake) the organisational stability that they should be competitive for a while even if they can’t find a QB straight away

that’s obviously a tough decision to make but bakers shown them the last 2 years that he’s probably not the guy to take them to the promised land

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I should clarify that when I say move on, I don’t necessarily mean after his rookie contract expires. I think they’ll retain him but not sure he’s the guy that leads them to a super bowl. But he has the moxie that Cleveland needs to put them back on the map and make it a place where QBs don’t dread going like all of the ones before Baker.

there’s so much talent right now in that roster that it’d be hard for them not to be an attractive spot for a prospective coach of player at this point

especially with their league-leading analytics department and newfound organisational stability

In the space of a couple of years they’ve gone from one of the least attractive destinations for prospective free agents and coaches to most attractive