• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Bengals, The 3rd Team and The When Will The Injuries End?

marklar

Pro Bowler
Regarding "running up the score": I'm glad the Bengals do that, and I hope all teams do it, always. I've never understood the idea of some sort of inofficial mercy rule, and it is never an issue here on the other side of the pond; if you're better than the opponent, you drive it home. I also find it disrespectful to the fans to stop trying to score. If *I* had payed the insane amount of money a ticket for an NFL game costs, I'd be really pissed off if my team stopped playing after 3/4 or the game. I don't pay nearly as much as a gamepass viewer, but I still expect a full 60 minutes of entertainment.
What I did found stupid was not pulling Burrow since we got in a number of hits on him after the game was in practice over, so if I was Zac Taylor, I'd call the same agressive plays, but put in the backup QB.

An additional benefit of crushing is an opponent is that the fans (in this case ours) may get pissed off which might build a rivalry over time instead of a bland rivalry with no real animosity in it.

marklar

Pro Bowler
This depends on if he has the vaccination or not. If he has been vaccinated he still stands a good chance of being ready.

But does he really have such a good chance? Based on our recent COVID-list history:
* Clark/Colon out for 10 days
* Jimmy/Westry out 8 days and counting
* Houston out for 6(?) days and counting

Maybe all of them are unvaccinated or we have to expect relatively long times to be out. And if Huntley gets back on Fri/Sat, do you take him with zero practice reps or Johnson with a full week of reps? If both have a full week of practice, I surely go with Huntley, but an inexperienced player with no practice, I'm not sure any longer.

But, they way things are going, I expect Johnson to get an injury/illness on Friday, no one coming back and we'll be starting Bahar/Koch at QB. Because why not?

Tank

Hall of Famer
He fights in playoff games. With his frame I'm not mad at him for avoiding some contact. And we've seen he'll risk it in end-of-game situations.

I'm telling you all right now. If Brown leaves for a competent passing offense he'll do numbers and you all will see the mistake it was letting him go.
That would be great for Brown, just don’t see him as ever being a dependable, consistent #1 here.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
That would be great for Brown, just don’t see him as ever being a dependable, consistent #1 here.

I really like him, such a speedy, down field threat with great separation. I think he's tailed off a little recently because Huntley and Johnson have been targeting the short and intermediate areas more, where Bateman has thrived.

You need to have that downfield threat though and he's one of the best at what he does. Next year when we're healthy and we've patched up the OL he's going to be killing it!

Tank

Hall of Famer
I really like him, such a speedy, down field threat with great separation. I think he's tailed off a little recently because Huntley and Johnson have been targeting the short and intermediate areas more, where Bateman has thrived.

You need to have that downfield threat though and he's one of the best at what he does. Next year when we're healthy and we've patched up the OL he's going to be killing it!

Definitely need guys that can stretch the field. But do you seeing him as deserving to be paid as a #1?

Last edited:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I will say- I find it a bit weird that there were fans who were so hellbent on keeping Joe because the Ravens were so poor at drafting quarterbacks, but the Ravens have drafted two 1,000 yard wide receivers (three if you include Michael Jackson because he was with the Browns in 91, one being Mark Andrews this season), but now people are eager to get rid of Marquise Brown even though he's gotten better and better every season. He'll very likely also eclipse 1,000 yards this season, too.

Just weird things to complain about.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
We all defended Harbs pettiness to keep the rushing streak going and no one said a word when Wink was mad they kicked a fg to avoid the shutout. We've been mopping them for seasons and can't be mad when the rabbit has the gun.

I think I was the loan posters who called out Harbs on this poor decision. To see any of the Ravens upset about Cinci going for their own record just makes me shake my head. Karma comes for us all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think I was the loan posters who called out Harbs on this poor decision. To see any of the Ravens upset about Cinci going for their own record just makes me shake my head. Karma comes for us all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mentioned it earlier........... Turn it into a positive and use it for extra fuel to kick their asses next year. Who cares if Burrow threw for 525 against a practice squad D, something Booma conveniently failed to mention while gloating. lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
You’re comparing rushing for like 3 yards to throwing 50 yard bombs with 3 minutes to go up by like 20?
I am. I don't even understand the argument of how they're NOT comparable. Why is the yardage important to you? Those two plays have identical impacts on the football game.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not the same thing, that was one play for 4 yards
Yup, a four yards that wasn't needed in any shape or form in the game, had no impact on the outcome of the game, and was done solely and purposely with the intent of embarrassing your opponent and trying to obtain an accolade that only makes Ravens fans feel better about themselves.

One is a pass play, one is a run play. That's where the differences end.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I will say- I find it a bit weird that there were fans who were so hellbent on keeping Joe because the Ravens were so poor at drafting quarterbacks, but the Ravens have drafted two 1,000 yard wide receivers (three if you include Michael Jackson because he was with the Browns in 91, one being Mark Andrews this season), but now people are eager to get rid of Marquise Brown even though he's gotten better and better every season. He'll very likely also eclipse 1,000 yards this season, too.

Just weird things to complain about.
Well, in defense, where are you coming up with the funds to pay $40M+ to a QB and paying top quality wide receivers, a TE market value, and various other offensive lineman, at the same time?

Granted, some of these won't be at the same time, but I certainly don't think "he's the best we've ever drafted at the position" is a justifiable reason to give a market value contract extension to a player. I could make a case that's literally the worst reason to pay a player. That's like giving somebody who's way past their prime a fat contract because "they're a HOFer". Who gives a shit?

I think we'll pay Hollywood, so I think this discussion is moot. But if we didn't, I could see why not. I think there's plenty of people that would be asking if he'll be as good at 28-30 as he is now. And if we don't think he is, why are we paying him?

One of the biggest failures of the FO in prior years is we don't pay ascending players. It's not easy to judge who they are, but when you think you've got one, we should pay them.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I mentioned it earlier........... Turn it into a positive and use it for extra fuel to kick their asses next year. Who cares if Burrow threw for 525 against a practice squad D, something Booma conveniently failed to mention while gloating. lol

Yeah, I found it very interesting that it wasn't mentioned at all, really. I did hear it in the bar a few times from people watching, but there was no fury about them "running things up" or anything like that either. We were a practice squad yesterday. I know we expected what happened and knew why, but it would have been an interesting topic of discussion, perhaps, if the talking heads had struck up the conversation on it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, I found it very interesting that it wasn't mentioned at all, really. I did hear it in the bar a few times from people watching, but there was no fury about them "running things up" or anything like that either. We were a practice squad yesterday. I know we expected what happened and knew why, but it would have been an interesting topic of discussion, perhaps, if the talking heads had struck up the conversation on it.
Honestly, when they were throwing it a lot in the second half, I was half saying "well thank you". Like I was pretty sure they were going to score still, but if you want any chance at all in getting back in the game, having your opponent throw the ball a lot and potentially stop them would be the way to go.

Obviously defensively we were anything but great, but Bengals were still just 50% on third down and they were just 4 of 7 in the red zone, which is pretty good defensively for a team with our personnel out there. The issue was that they had 7 red zone trips itself.