• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Bengals, The 3rd Team and The When Will The Injuries End?

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I remember Wink being so mad. The NFL is funky to me with the unwritten rules.

You can't get mad cause another team didn't want to have a goose egg on their record. Besides, the Bengals never forgot that game, just like the Ravens didn't forget when the Titans stood on their logo pregame and the Ravens bounced them out of the playoffs and returned the favor by gathering on their logo. Then, when it comes to the Bengals, Wink added more fuel to the fire so to speak when he said the following: "Aaron Rodgers is a Hall of Fame quarterback, and I don't think we're ready to buy a gold jacket for Joe [Burrow] yet,"

So, Burrow responds by torching Wink's defense (depleted with 2nd, 3rd stringers, and all) for 525 yards in their sweep of the Ravens this season. I have no issue with that. Light their asses up! This is the NFL! This is the big boy's league and if you don't like something being done-stop it! Harbs had the Ravens go for a rushing record when they had a game won and Ravens fans were excited about it but now some want to complain about the Bengals "running up" the score?

Simba

Staff Member
Of course a lot of the talk this morning is about Burrow and what he was able to do. Twitter is full of cut ups. Yeah it was against a PS secondary but damn did he carve us up. Ball placement, anticipation, and touch all perfect. No surprise after watching his tape coming out of college but he's a good one. Once he starts to cut down on some of the silly mistakes, he's going to be a complete pain in the ass to play with that WR unit.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Of course a lot of the talk this morning is about Burrow and what he was able to do. Twitter is full of cut ups. Yeah it was against a PS secondary but damn did he carve us up. Ball placement, anticipation, and touch all perfect. No surprise after watching his tape coming out of college but he's a good one. Once he starts to cut down on some of the silly mistakes, he's going to be a complete pain in the ass to play with that WR unit.
A lot of young talent on their team. If they can upgrade the Oline and add some defensive pieces, they're going to be a very good team for a long time. The biggest "rubber hits the road" time will be when their Owner, who's notoriously stingy, has to open the checkbook for all these guys.

Simba

Staff Member
A lot of young talent on their team. If they can upgrade the Oline and add some defensive pieces, they're going to be a very good team for a long time. The biggest "rubber hits the road" time will be when their Owner, who's notoriously stingy, has to open the checkbook for all these guys.

Agreed. Upgrade the OL and add an impact player at LB and in the secondary and they're going to be scary.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed. Upgrade the OL and add an impact player at LB and in the secondary and they're going to be scary.
Well, and as others are figuring out, they're among the healthier teams in the league. They've not had significant Covid exposure, and many of their better players have been healthy for most of the year.

David diprinzio

Practice Squad
Stop whining the burrow to Nixon play was a broken play my god he is a running back he should not of been that wide open we forget the 49 13 blowout we put on them in 2019 we were up 35-10 on a 3rd string quarterback in the third quarter and put up two more scores and up 27 -0 last year and were running a zero blitz on burrow in the fourth qyartet

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was four yards because the Broncos stopped it.
Lamar laid down
Their O line already has dominated us both games

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Need to get the running back to where to level we've been accustomed to the last 2 years. We got the worst RB group in the league so when we get our guys back next sure we need to make sure that they don't lose a step. That's an element that we're badly missing, no one fears this run game and LBs are playing too disciplined.

Joe Burrow had an amazing game but I'm not phased. I think any QB is capable of completely shredding this defense, a lot of those throws guys were wide open, won 50-50 balls, or had plenty of space on slants and out routes. Burrow ball placement was great(Something we've known him for) but this defense is easily torchable. They don't generate a pass rush as is and has always been amount disguising pressure which they had some success with. A big problem is it's week 16, teams will become more accustomed to your formations and how you disguise your blitzes, the secondary who the defense has been reliant upon to make stops is no longer there.

Josh McCrown once threw for 457 yards, 2 TD, with 1 rushing against our 2015 defense which had a god-awful secondary and no pass rush. You give Pros time and space to go along with a terrible secondary and they will slaughter you.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's the same concept in the grand scheme. Neither were necessary but it's not that teams job to worry about their comps feelings. Don't like it then stop it. And as Harbaugh did there's no 16? point play. We could've just kneeled.

yeah easiest way to make a team regret doing something like this is either to stop them or make them pay for it in the next encounter

complaining about it or whining about it means nothing

if you feel slighted then do something about it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really hate that dude but he’s been money for them all season.

almost out of nowhere he's been great this year
sucked for the giants, was injured for the panthers - has turned it on this year with the bengals

in fact all 3 of their top corners have had great seasons and played above their contracts/expectations...

mike hilton, chidobe awuzie and eli apple have all been great
and they've just brought trae waynes back from I/R too

+ jessie bates is excellent

just some really good offseason work this year rebuilding their defence

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really like him, such a speedy, down field threat with great separation. I think he's tailed off a little recently because Huntley and Johnson have been targeting the short and intermediate areas more, where Bateman has thrived.

You need to have that downfield threat though and he's one of the best at what he does. Next year when we're healthy and we've patched up the OL he's going to be killing it!

i mean hard to say he hasnt been involved he's had more yards and receptions this week than bateman but everyone thinks bateman was more consequential

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
yeah easiest way to make a team regret doing something like this is either to stop them or make them pay for it in the next encounter

complaining about it or whining about it means nothing

if you feel slighted then do something about it

Absolutely! This is the big boys league! No "participation" trophies are being handed out. If you don't like what is being done by your opponent, it's your job to stop it. Reminds me of when I was running a game of Madden. I was running the ball down this cat's throat and he text me a message and said: "All you can do is run the ball!" I texted him back: "BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STOP IT JACKASS!"
I5ZFDlH.gif

Last edited:

D1City55

Pro Bowler
i mean hard to say he hasnt been involved he's had more yards and receptions this week than bateman but everyone thinks bateman was more consequential
Bateman will be a stud, I'm so impressed from what I've seen from him, I'm confident he's the #1 we've been waiting for. This will make letting Watkins go an easy decision.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I will say- I find it a bit weird that there were fans who were so hellbent on keeping Joe because the Ravens were so poor at drafting quarterbacks, but the Ravens have drafted two 1,000 yard wide receivers (three if you include Michael Jackson because he was with the Browns in 91, one being Mark Andrews this season), but now people are eager to get rid of Marquise Brown even though he's gotten better and better every season. He'll very likely also eclipse 1,000 yards this season, too.

Just weird things to complain about.

and that's despite the downfield passing game disappearing because of scheme and QB play - he's still the number 2 weapon in this offence even when the downfield element completely disappears and we play with backups...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Honestly, when they were throwing it a lot in the second half, I was half saying "well thank you". Like I was pretty sure they were going to score still, but if you want any chance at all in getting back in the game, having your opponent throw the ball a lot and potentially stop them would be the way to go.

Obviously defensively we were anything but great, but Bengals were still just 50% on third down and they were just 4 of 7 in the red zone, which is pretty good defensively for a team with our personnel out there. The issue was that they had 7 red zone trips itself.

and i dont think they punted once in the entire game

rossihunter2

Staff Member

this is exactly what burrow looked like in college - when people call lawrence a generational talent it makes me frustrated because Joe Burrow is the highest grade i've ever put on a college QB ever and lawrence wasnt even the highest grade (for me) in his own class

the browns have a great roster and we'll see what they do with mayfield

but the steelers should really be worried because if they cant find a QB they're going to struggle to compete for the title in this division for a while given Lamar and Burrow and the Browns roster is stacked outside of QB