• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Mark Andrews, The Redzone Offence and ANOTHER Close Loss

Simba

Staff Member
When someone said we'd get a 2 maybe a 1 for a Huntley, I said I don't think someone would give up that for him, but he might be worth more than a 2 to US because he let's us keep running our offense and keeps us in games if Lamar is out.

Since those comments we've got another game of Huntley on tape as well as one of Josh Johnson. What I've come to realize (as always if you disagree please let me know, I love to hear your thoughts) is that it really wasn't Huntley that was keeping us in those games. It was a combination of an entirely different set of play calling and outside of the Bengals game, the other team playing really soft defenses.

The point I'm making here is that yes the Huntley teams have been "in the game" at the end of these games, but really it's mostly artificial.

In the bears game, Huntley had to orchestrate a game winning drive against a rookie and backup QB to win a low scoring game.

In the Browns and Packers games its largely the same story but the games are slightly higher scoring. But noticeably both of those teams played soft defense against Huntley.

The Bengals got JJ, but from and offensive production standpoint its not like JJ was a drop off in play compared to Huntley. I think he could be slightly better. Who knows. But the difference here is that the Bengals played aggressive defense.

Now we have the Rams game. They also Let Huntley dink and dump all day showing they have little respect for him. He was able to put up 12 points and is basically responsible for giving the Rams 7 of their points.

I guess in conclusion here, the results with backup QBs seems pretty similar to me no matter if it's Huntley or JJ. The being in the games thing is just an artifact of if the defense will let you dink and dump because they aren't afraid of a deep play and they think they can hold you to punts and field goals, you'll score some points but lose the games.

Now with the tape we have, it's been confirmed Huntley does not have the arm talent to be a starter or even a high level backup. He's very much probably in terms of passing worse than average than your typical backup, he's just got some composure and mobility.

I'm not sure Huntley is worth almost anything to anyone. He will get no draft capital and I'm sure if we found ourselves in a situation where we thought we could upgrade on him, we would.

I think a lot of what you say has merit here, the largest being that we have absolutely no downfield passing game with (a) the QBs that we're trotting out there and (b) no OL to let those types plays develop. Huntley may be completing a ton but they know they can give up these 5 yard dinks and dunks and then button up in the red zone and force them into 3 points. No team wants to give up points but they know we can't score consistently and it's very apparent that teams have been playing us that way.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm ranting.
In general though, with the way the current NFL works, there are too many times where you see offenses scoring too soon and defenses fighting the inevitable, which seems like coaching errors. I know McKusick has also talked about this a number of times and it seems like something that the analytics-horny teams should be coaching more. Now, *this* one wasn't as abvious as some others and perhaps it was the right choice to fight, but based on our history of 2-min defenses this year, it felt like a forgone conclusion how this one would end. The only thing I didn't expect was that there would be more than 10 seconds left on the clock.
yet if it wasn't for that 4th and 4 to Beckham that game is over. Shit if that interception doesn't happen before the half we win the game, most likely

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
LOL i never said it wasn't. You are taking what I said wrong like if I dissed Harbs which I didn't.

I don't think Mania said that to rag on you, I think he was just stating a fact about how this team is still fighting because Harbaugh is getting the most out of them

Simba

Staff Member
So are we officially out of the playoffs?

No. Assuming the Chargers win today for the sake of it, we'd essentially need the Raiders to beat the Chargers next week, the Pats to beat the Dolphins, and the Jags to beat the Colts.

I think you know which one is extremely unlikely.

Edit: actually the result of the Chargers game going on now doesn't even matter. Just would need a W and those 3 Ls to make it in.

marklar

Pro Bowler
No. Assuming the Chargers win today for the sake of it, we'd essentially need the Raiders to beat the Chargers next week, the Pats to beat the Dolphins, and the Jags to beat the Colts.

Oh, it is pretty obvious that Urban Meyer will get a win with his superstar rookie of the year, generational QB... oh, wait, that wasn't in *this* reality.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
No but we really need the Broncos to win the current game which I don't feel strongly about. We're still alive but need a lot of help at this point.

And that's what is sickening. Cause, if the Ravens couldn't finish off the Rams after being up 16-7 at one point; do you really expect them to finish off Big Ben (who may be retiring) and the Steelers? I don't! Ravens are done!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
And that's what is sickening. Cause, if the Ravens couldn't finish off the Rams after being up 16-7 at one point; do you really expect them to finish off Big Ben (who may be retiring) and the Steelers? I don't! Ravens are done!
if the bengals are breaking out.....anything can happen

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Everything went our way.
Defense scored 6 points and forced 3 turnovers. Special teams did its job. Rams punted on 2/3 4th downs where they could've gone for it.
We have 1 above average OL in Zeitler, which makes it difficult for any offense especially when there's Donald, Miller, Robinson and Floyed on the other side.
Huntley threw 1 int, but that's to be expected when you have a backup.
But then Roman found a way to stall a must score a TD drive. Murray and Freeman have shown they can't break a tackle, why do you expect them to do it at the goalline? Why don't you call a TO when the clock runs out? Why don't get the play call in earlier? Why don't you use Boyle/Ricard/ 6th OL instead of Freeman to block Floyd?
Freeman and Murray were that entire drive, Huntley deserves blame taking god awful sacks and not throwing to Andrews

marklar

Pro Bowler
not saying they should tank the game or play to lose just think that a loss wouldnt be the worst outcome

Being swept by the Steelers would really make *everything* about this season suck. So no, I'm not accepting moving up 3-ish spots in the draft order if it means a fucking miserable off-season with horrible memories. Priority 1 should always be to beat the Steelers. Any season, always. Without that rivalry, following the Ravens becomes a hell of a lot more dull, so let's pretend we still hate them as much as we did during the olden days and FUCK THE STEELERS.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They've literally exhausted damn near every option on the market at certain positions. Just not much you can do with the adversity we've faced. Still proud of the team and they can say all the want that they still believe they have a shot, but I think everyone can see deep down they know they're crumbling and there's no way to fix it.

with all the injuries and with the lack of flexibility in our big contracts with restructuring we were cash-strapped before we even got to the trade deadline let alone beyond

no one on the market even when we did have cap - at the end of the year when everyone else has got injuries too... no chance of fixing it

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Undermanned is an understatement.

They were going against the best receiver in the NFL and a generally explosive offense and they forced three turnovers, including a pick-6.

The defense isn't to blame. Just one touchdown and that game probably does look different.

The Ravens were leading 16-7 at one point and really should have won that game. So, to me, that "undermanned" statement has run its course. They just lost the game...period!

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor

Edit: actually the result of the Chargers game going on now doesn't even matter. Just would need a W and those 3 Ls to make it in.
Jaguars are trash, our season is over. Don’t play Lamar

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not sure Huntley is worth almost anything to anyone. He will get no draft capital and I'm sure if we found ourselves in a situation where we thought we could upgrade on him, we would.

in exactly the same way that having mcsorely didnt stop us from keeping huntley

and that having RGIII didnt stop us from drafting mcsorely

only backup QB we've ever really lingered on and not added competition for in the last 15 years is tyrod taylor (who never even had to start a game his whole ravens career)