• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Mark Andrews, The Redzone Offence and ANOTHER Close Loss

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Also heading into week 18, there is absolutely no reason Sammy Watkins should be getting snaps ahead of James Proche and Tylan Wallace. None.
It's ridiculous, I don't see any reason to bring him back this year. He clearly has demonstrated that he can't stay on the field.

Simba

Staff Member
It's ridiculous, I don't see any reason to bring him back this year. He clearly has demonstrated that he can't stay on the field.

It's not even the staying on the field part for me. He did pretty well to start the season but him being off the field has allowed other guys to step up and there's just not a reason to keep playing Watkins at this point. Not many complaints about his tenure outside of his 1 awful game, but you just have better options that are more long-term.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, yes, the Ravens did lose: 20-19, in fact.

I know they lost 20-19. My point is that they should not have lost that game; playing with backups, 2nd, and 3rd stringers and all. They pissed away their opportunities to take total control of the game imo. I just hate that our boys aren't finishing off these close games.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Allright guys we got 40 seconds 1 timeout and we're gonna carve em up with some 3 yard over the middle passes. Ready!! Break!!

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Watching Antoine Wesley makes me wonder what team Proche is gonna catch a shit ton of passes for.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's not even the staying on the field part for me. He did pretty well to start the season but him being off the field has allowed other guys to step up and there's just not a reason to keep playing Watkins at this point. Not many complaints about his tenure outside of his 1 awful game, but you just have better options that are more long-term.

and with us likely mostly out of the playoff race and with watkins almost certainly not returning in 2022... it makes far more sense to continue to give wallace and proche his reps

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So on the Huntley pick - andrews was wide open over the middle on a crosser - completely busted coverage by the Rams and he had clean grass in front of him

now tbf hollywood was open too (but miscommunication screwed that somehow) - but huntley didnt even need to push that ball downfield for the big play

Simba

Staff Member
Watching Antoine Wesley makes me wonder what team Proche is gonna catch a shit ton of passes for.

Really liked that kid coming out but 2 years of injuries robbed him of opportunities here that I think he would have gotten otherwise. Probably would have been out of the NFL entirely if Kliff didn't coach him in college, though, so a little bit of a unique circumstance.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
So on the Huntley pick - andrews was wide open over the middle on a crosser - completely busted coverage by the Rams and he had clean grass in front of him

now tbf hollywood was open too (but miscommunication screwed that somehow) - but huntley didnt even need to push that ball downfield for the big play

That pick turned the game.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think a lot of what you say has merit here, the largest being that we have absolutely no downfield passing game with (a) the QBs that we're trotting out there and (b) no OL to let those types plays develop. Huntley may be completing a ton but they know they can give up these 5 yard dinks and dunks and then button up in the red zone and force them into 3 points. No team wants to give up points but they know we can't score consistently and it's very apparent that teams have been playing us that way.

Exactly!! When you're running game is anemic, you've got no time to throw and are no threat to throw a pass down field, what do you expect?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
in exactly the same way that having mcsorely didnt stop us from keeping huntley

and that having RGIII didnt stop us from drafting mcsorely

only backup QB we've ever really lingered on and not added competition for in the last 15 years is tyrod taylor (who never even had to start a game his whole ravens career)

Preach

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Also heading into week 18, there is absolutely no reason Sammy Watkins should be getting snaps ahead of James Proche and Tylan Wallace. None.

Agreed, but he's barely been out there for a little while now right? Also I think Tylan might really be a guy in 1 to 2 years time

Simba

Staff Member
Agreed, but he's barely been out there for a little while now right? Also I think Tylan might really be a guy in 1 to 2 years time

He didn't play much last week but was coming back off of Covid so thought maybe that was the reason why. But then today, he hardly played as well. Wallace was ahead of him in the pecking order but hard to see why Proche was inactive if they were only going to use Watkins sparingly. Would rather be getting Proche those reps even if they're few and far between.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
tylan's been taking the first series 11 personnel snaps the last 2 games - last week ahead of proche and this week ahead of duvernay

and both weeks ahead of sammy

Tylan in college looked like he had really nice upside. He's flashed a couple of times in his limited opportunities. I still think that Proche should have earned some more respect with this ball club at this point. We know he's out working people in practice and was showing out in practice. THEN in games has been clutch in like 7 situations despite low opportunities. I'd like to see him more.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Tylan in college looked like he had really nice upside. He's flashed a couple of times in his limited opportunities. I still think that Proche should have earned some more respect with this ball club at this point. We know he's out working people in practice and was showing out in practice. THEN in games has been clutch in like 7 situations despite low opportunities. I'd like to see him more.

tylan's interesting because we dont see a ton of press man because of lamar - he really struggled getting off the line vs press in college and then could struggle to stack because of it - he also ran a limited route tree and played almost exclusively on the right side of the formation

with how he played/practiced at the senior bowl i actually thought he might be a better fit in the slot - showed some sharp nuance to his route running especially horizontally

but...
great at the catch-point, good hands, physical and good with the ball after the catch

i imagine his work on special teams as a gunner will have helped him a lot with his route stems and beating press with physicality

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
So what did I miss and who do I blame??lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk