• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's played at started at G and C for us in his first 2 years and played solid ball there as well. He was only moved to T out of complete necessity last season, and then he proved that he could handle it. I think they'd like for him to be the swing T and probably the interior backup as well, but I also think they realize that they have a solid option if plan A or B doesn't come to fruition inside. I don't see him as the primary option but the guy you can lean on if you have to.
Well I don't agree that he played solid at Center. That I did not see.
And we already have 3-4 guys at Guard who I think they like better, otherwise I don't know why we drafted them.
I think they're perfectly fine with him being the swing tackle because the likelihood of this team or any team getting two tackles to play 100% of the snaps is pretty much zero. Third tackle on most teams is going to get plenty of playing time.

Simba

Staff Member
Well I don't agree that he played solid at Center. That I did not see.
And we already have 3-4 guys at Guard who I think they like better, otherwise I don't know why we drafted them.
I think they're perfectly fine with him being the swing tackle because the likelihood of this team or any team getting two tackles to play 100% of the snaps is pretty much zero. Third tackle on most teams is going to get plenty of playing time.

Are you basing that off of his one bad game in the playoffs? Because everyone was singing his praises when he replaced Skura until that game.

Don't get me wrong... it was a terrible look. But he also had multiple weeks of solid play before that.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Are you basing that off of his one bad game in the playoffs? Because everyone was singing his praises when he replaced Skura until that game.

Don't get me wrong... it was a terrible look. But he also had multiple weeks of solid play before that.
Partially, yes.
But mostly just based on what the Ravens did last offseason and how the line stacked up. I don't see where Mekari was given a chance to even compete for the starting C job last offseason. I'll confirm the date, but we essentially anointed Bozeman, our previous LG for a couple years, as the starting C, very, very, very early on. June if I recall... before training camp even begins. That doesn't exactly strike confidence in Mekari. Additionally, I don't recall Mekari being ahead of TCC on the depth chart there either (who they kept), so that would make Mekari the third center, not even the backup. And this was preseason, not in-season.

At guard, they pretty clearly had four guys they preferred over him. He was never competing for that starting spot that I saw, and they added two guards in the offseason.

Like I think he's physically capable of playing all five, but I've seen nothing from the FO or coaching staff to suggest he's like the primary backup at all five spots. I think literally the only spot he's the primary backup at is both Tackle positions. I don't think he'd be first off the bench at either guard or center.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't. I think he's a great swing tackle, and that's what they're going to pay him for. They already know there's pretty much no chance they can add two strong Tackles this offseason, due to cap restrictions. So they're going to probably have a high draft pick, Mekari, James, and hopefully Stanley.

I don't think Mekari is an option at Guard, and if he wasn't an option at Guard or Center this past year, I don't see what would change this offseason.

If anything, I think its a sign that Tyre Phillips "experiment" as a Tackle is probably over. They'll likely move him to Guard full time this offseason.

a year and a half too late with the focusing of tyre at guard but hey what do i know lol

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
They'll add a Tackle via FA or the draft (likely with a high pick). I would be beyond shocked to not see that happen. Might even see both.

The only way they don't add a Center is if they keep Bozeman. If Bozeman walks, they'll be adding both a C and a Tackle. I would say it makes it more likely they add a C via FA, though.

I think there's a zero percent chance they go into June with just Stanley, Mekari, and James at tackle, and I think there's a zero percent they go into June with only TCC and Mekari at Center (I don't even think Mekari is an option at C at this point).

Yeah T is the obvious need and I agree that not addressing Center means they addresses it by bringing back Bozeman.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean when i look at the end of that season i see the C position and mekari a bit like huntley with lamar at QB - everyone was happy that the guy who came in didn't shit the bed and i think that gave him a perception bump

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh god.......no.

soon.
0EE696E3-E6D1-45BB-B88D-BA672D5A3D6C.jpeg

Simba

Staff Member
Partially, yes.
But mostly just based on what the Ravens did last offseason and how the line stacked up. I don't see where Mekari was given a chance to even compete for the starting C job last offseason. I'll confirm the date, but we essentially anointed Bozeman, our previous LG for a couple years, as the starting C, very, very, very early on. June if I recall... before training camp even begins. That doesn't exactly strike confidence in Mekari. Additionally, I don't recall Mekari being ahead of TCC on the depth chart there either (who they kept), so that would make Mekari the third center, not even the backup. And this was preseason, not in-season.

At guard, they pretty clearly had four guys they preferred over him. He was never competing for that starting spot that I saw, and they added two guards in the offseason.

Like I think he's physically capable of playing all five, but I've seen nothing from the FO or coaching staff to suggest he's like the primary backup at all five spots. I think literally the only spot he's the primary backup at is both Tackle positions. I don't think he'd be first off the bench at either guard or center.

Mekari was very much in the interior picture (at least as a backup C) until they showed up to minicamps and didn't have Ronnie Stanley. Didn't have Andre Smith. They literally had AV and some UDFAs on deck, so they moved Mekari back out there just to have bodies. He handled it well as he did last year too, and then he just stayed there. If we had some level of T depth and Mekari was still in the C picture, I can almost guarantee he'd have been the backup C over Colon.

And again, I'll reiterate... I don't think he'd be plan A at any of these positions. But I have no doubts he's a guy you look to if a FA or draft plan falters. If injuries necessitate it. Really if anything happens. I'm sure they want to leave him at swing T but they also know he can drop down and play inside (especially at C) if you need him to.

Simba

Staff Member
i mean when i look at the end of that season i see the C position and mekari a bit like huntley with lamar at QB - everyone was happy that the guy who came in didn't shit the bed and i think that gave him a perception bump

And I don't think that's a bad thing. I think he's the guy you count on if you need him but not the guy you just give a job to. Feels a lot like Powers as an interior player, minus the low lows that he has. Not a world beater but a solid enough player that you can win with if he's your weakest link.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mekari was very much in the interior picture (at least as a backup C) until they showed up to minicamps and didn't have Ronnie Stanley. Didn't have Andre Smith. They literally had AV and some UDFAs on deck, so they moved Mekari back out there just to have bodies. He handled it well as he did last year too, and then he just stayed there. If we had some level of T depth and Mekari was still in the C picture, I can almost guarantee he'd have been the backup C over Colon.

And again, I'll reiterate... I don't think he'd be plan A at any of these positions. But I have no doubts he's a guy you look to if a FA or draft plan falters. If injuries necessitate it. Really if anything happens. I'm sure they want to leave him at swing T but they also know he can drop down and play inside (especially at C) if you need him to.

to this point i think during preseason he started on the interior with tyre being asked to start at LT which made absolutely no sense to me at the time and even less sense in hindsight because the OL looked better when mekari rotated into LT and Tyre tucked inside to LT in those preseason drives

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And I don't think that's a bad thing. I think he's the guy you count on if you need him but not the guy you just give a job to. Feels a lot like Powers as an interior player, minus the low lows that he has. Not a world beater but a solid enough player that you can win with if he's your weakest link.

i mean sure - i just think that Colon probably also has that level of trust at this point - i know obviously mekari was at tackle but the ravens had zero doubts about inputting colon in as the primary backup at all 3 interior OL spots

they've liked trystan since they managed to nab him on the frantic udfa period straight after the draft - and on the video of EDC and harbs they specifically mention him as a coup - i just think that it's probably colon in a colon vs mekari competition for the start at C

Simba

Staff Member
i mean sure - i just think that Colon probably also has that level of trust at this point - i know obviously mekari was at tackle but the ravens had zero doubts about inputting colon in as the primary backup at all 3 interior OL spots

they've liked trystan since they managed to nab him on the frantic udfa period straight after the draft - and on the video of EDC and harbs they specifically mention him as a coup - i just think that it's probably colon in a colon vs mekari competition for the start at C

And I don't disagree there either. When I'm referring to Mekari as "not out of it" it's more in the sense that if Colon gets that opportunity and falters in camp/preseason... you have a solid backup plan.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The body difference between Clevland and Tyree is literally ridiculous. Tyree looks like he weighs 30 or 40 pounds more than Clevland. Can anyone confirm or deny? It's not like there is some recent photo or anything, just something I felt like I noticed quite often this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

he did have multiple good games once taking over for Skura and going into the next season. I don't think he will be as good as Bozeman at center, but I don't believe Bozeman was good enough to reset the market or even pay top 5 money. I like Bozeman and was pounding the table for him during the offseason, but I'm also fine letting him go.

Simba

Staff Member
he did have multiple good games once taking over for Skura and going into the next season. I don't think he will be as good as Bozeman at center, but I don't believe Bozeman was good enough to reset the market or even pay top 5 money. I like Bozeman and was pounding the table for him during the offseason, but I'm also fine letting him go.

Bozeman is so tough. Often the solid/good but not great players end up being such a key component to your success and it's hard to see those guys go. But then those solid/good players end up getting paid like great players and it just doesn't make sense to keep them. I hope Bozeman does find his way back but it just feels unlikely at this point. But not counting it out.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'd love if we keep Bozeman. Might be the best pass protector in the league at C. Lamar needs that.
Also, because Alabama.
he's not the best pass blocking center, but he's top 5 and I'd love to have him back, but just don't see it happening.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I could see Chase Roullier as a cap casualty in Washington, even though they do have the space. He has bonus this year that would trigger the 2024 year. I could see the Ravens looking at him if he does in fact become a cap casualty. He played really well up until his injury in week 8, when he fractured his left fibula.