• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean maybe, BUT, he's making the same thing this year that he made in 2020 and 2021.

The average contract value kind of doesn't matter, because like most, he got a lot of his money up front in the form of a signing bonus. He made $9M in 2019, which is a ton for a kicker. Also note that in terms of AAV, he's still the highest paid kicker in the league at $5M average, and he had the most guaranteed money of any kicker in the league. So there's really not much to complain about.

Ultimately there's no indication from Tucker, the Ravens, or anybody in his camp that he's concerned with his contract at all, so its probably much ado about nothing.

He'll likely get extended next offseason with one year left on his deal.
I think the last couple times he has been extended we waited until his contract ran out or atleast I know that was the case prior to this past time, not sure about this current contract. That being said, EDC does try to extend early, so it's possible that is when he does get extended. They do have other priorities next offseason though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Note from Hortiz on Brandon Stephens. You feel good matching him up in man. He's really versatile and can play anywhere in the secondary.

I think that indicates we're gonna see Stephens do a lot of different stuff this year. Excited and happy for the guy

i love that the ravens make Hortiz available post-draft to do film reviews with reporters where he doesnt have to lie
hardly any teams do that with any evaluators

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
F36EAB68-995E-438A-B1C6-8819624F2011.jpeg

This number just feels right for him. Lol.

Hope he pans out.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Man we just took so many steps forward this offseason its incredible.

QB stays the same but that's great. Lamar keeps working

RB is infinitely better
FB stays the same and that's great

LT should be a huge step forward if Ronnie's back
LG is likely Mekari to Tyree and should be better and at worse the same as last year.
C should hopefully be reasonably similar to BB, hoping he can be better.
RG is the same and that's great
RT should be improved by Moses
Finally there's actual all around depth on the line you can feel decent about

TEs got better! One of the two rookies will be better than Oliver and Boyle will be healthy.

WR took a step back by losing Marquise.

So on offense our run game is gonna dramatically improve from additions to the backfield and OL. TE play should also be better.
It all comes down to if we can just fill the Hollywood hole. I know Bateman is gonna take a step.

DL is dramatically better. You get Wolfe, Pierce and Jones in this new group.
EDGE is gonna be the same but then get infused by Ojabo when he comes back. Gotta hope Oweh takes a step.
ILB is the same and that's fine.
CB starters are gonna be improved, depth is probably a little worse.
S is dramatically improved.

We know what we need to do. Add a vet to stabilize the WR, CB, and EDGE rooms. Then that roster is ready to compete. Most of all though, stay healthy

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Man we just took so many steps forward this offseason its incredible.

QB stays the same but that's great. Lamar keeps working

RB is infinitely better
FB stays the same and that's great

LT should be a huge step forward if Ronnie's back
LG is likely Mekari to Tyree and should be better and at worse the same as last year.
C should hopefully be reasonably similar to BB, hoping he can be better.
RG is the same and that's great
RT should be improved by Moses
Finally there's actual all around depth on the line you can feel decent about

TEs got better! One of the two rookies will be better than Oliver and Boyle will be healthy.

WR took a step back by losing Marquise.

So on offense our run game is gonna dramatically improve from additions to the backfield and OL. TE play should also be better.
It all comes down to if we can just fill the Hollywood hole. I know Bateman is gonna take a step.

DL is dramatically better. You get Wolfe, Pierce and Jones in this new group.
EDGE is gonna be the same but then get infused by Ojabo when he comes back. Gotta hope Oweh takes a step.
ILB is the same and that's fine.
CB starters are gonna be improved, depth is probably a little worse.
S is dramatically improved.

We know what we need to do. Add a vet to stabilize the WR, CB, and EDGE rooms. Then that roster is ready to compete. Most of all though, stay healthy
I don't know that Dline is dramatically better. For starters, I have no clue if Wolfe is going to play, but there's a lot of pessimism there, and I'm not sure he's a game changer anyway. We added Jones, who I like, but that's about it. Pierce may be an upgrade over Williams, but it's not a big one in my eyes. I don't think its a weak unit, but I don't think we've made dramatic shifts in pass rush ability from that group.

The depth at Corner is a major concern for me. I'm fine with playing more 3 safety looks, but literally any injury to Marlon or Peters is a big problem right now. Stephens is basically your 3rd corner, who I wouldn't trust to play outside much at this stage, and you've got a rookie 4th rounder as your #4. Last year, if everybody were healthy, you had Tavon and Averett as your #3 and #4 Corners. That's a huge step back in my opinion.

I'm hedging my bets on pass rush. A lot of optimism for Ojabo, but I have zero expectation he starts the season, and I expect he lands on PUP. I think you get any contribution from him like post-bye-week, and it'll be a success. And remember, that's basically with no offseason. I can't see him suiting up for training camp or the preseason at all.

For me, its simple... we traded depth at Corner and strength at WR for a significantly upgraded Oline and Safety position.

The good news is, if you focus on where we struggled last year, it was a) running the ball without using the QB and being a more balanced offense and b) giving up big plays in the passing game. I think our personnel decisions would hopefully address both of those.

But I don't think our passing game will be nearly as good, I think we may struggle to stretch the ball down field, and I have concerns about pass rush. I think our defense may have a lot more of a "bend but don't break" mentality, especially early in the year. I think teams will be able to move the ball on us, but hopefully limited in terms of scoring.