• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
In regards to Clark, I think there's a subset that wants to trade him and a subset that believe he'll ultimately be traded because that's what he wants. I'm firmly in the latter category. Easy to look from an outside perspective, but put yourself in Chuck's shoes. He took a shorter term, team friendly deal at the time (still a smart move by him) to get himself back on to the market before he hits 30. He sees the writing on the wall though and this is likely his last shot at another decent deal. I don't think he necessarily anticipates that there's going to be some heavy bidding war for him, but I also think he realizes he might have to take the opportunity to be "the guy" on another lesser team vs. potentially fading out in favor of Hamilton here. He's gotta make a business decision and as much as the Ravens say they want to keep him, we've already got reports that at least one trade has been discussed and I'd be willing to guarantee there have been more and will continue to be more.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Depends on who we play and how we play.
We've had a real vertical threat on the team for two years now, and it hasn't seemed to matter in the playoffs. So why is 2022 going to be any different?
I'm not assuming we're a playoff team as it stands right now, and I wouldn't assume that if we added a high quality WR also (of which there don't appear to be any available anyway).

I believe we were the highest scoring team in the league in 2019 when we went 14-2. Who were the high quality receivers we had on that team?
I'd be prioritizing how we're going to win the 10-11 games needed to get into the playoffs before I start thinking about how they're going to perform in a playoff game against a team that very well may not have great receivers of their own either.
The best WR we had on the team was playing with a lisfranc in Hollywood Brown and was a rookie. He started off well but then cooled off a bit.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Pierce can pass rush from the interior. We just saw that in the clips put together. I understand it is just a clip of his best plays, but still, he looked unblockable. We know from the senior bowl footage, that Davis is a monster, a solid bull-like monster that will trample you if you are in his way. Calais is Calais, but slower than before given his age. Add in Madubieke and Washington (the flashes we've seen). I think one can easily surmise how they'll rush the passer in live games no? I think we can reasonably project a solid interior pass rush from these players. At least that is my realistic visualization.
The only issue with Pierce is his availability. If he is able to play most of the games, then it will be a very good signing. He played 8 games last year and took the year off due to Covid in 2020.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Pierce can pass rush from the interior. We just saw that in the clips put together. I understand it is just a clip of his best plays, but still, he looked unblockable. We know from the senior bowl footage, that Davis is a monster, a solid bull-like monster that will trample you if you are in his way. Calais is Calais, but slower than before given his age. Add in Madubieke and Washington (the flashes we've seen). I think one can easily surmise how they'll rush the passer in live games no? I think we can reasonably project a solid interior pass rush from these players. At least that is my realistic visualization.

be careful with the travis jones senior bowl footage because a lot of those clips are 1v1s (yes he dominated the game as well) where the DL have a massive advantage over the OL - but also most of those guys he's rushing against aren't going to make the league - that said, the level of dominance was encouraging and there are flashes on the tape at UConn that are really exciting too - but he's a 325lb DT who can maybe rush from a 3tech but we just don't know yet and it's hard to project that from rookies

pierce is solid - you're exactly right that those clips are impressive, but they are literally highlights - maybe the improved handwork and 1-gap penetration you see on that tape can translate back to the ravens front but that remains to be seen

madubuike's my boy - the flashes are dominant - needs to find some consistency (not unlike his draft class team-mate PQ) and i'd really like to see the pass rush light come on from him and start to see him chain some moves together because his combination of power, lateral quickness and hands lend themselves to being able to create quick pressure - he took a step in 2021, if he takes another then he could be a dynamic interior threat... but we dont know yet

trust me id love it if madubuike emerged and solved that issue we've had since Ngata left

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The only issue with Pierce is his availability. If he is able to play most of the games, then it will be a very good signing. He played 8 games last year and took the year off due to Covid in 2020.

the elbow injury is obviously made him miss games but not gonna hold 2020 against him - he's got asthma and had a terrible time with pneumonia in 2017... he opted out because he was at risk - tough to really call that being "unavailable" in the same way that an injury or a suspension is

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the elbow injury is obviously made him miss games but not gonna hold 2020 against him - he's got asthma and had a terrible time with pneumonia in 2017... he opted out because he was at risk - tough to really call that being "unavailable" in the same way that an injury or a suspension is
yeah, not holding 2020 against him either and was aware of his asthma issues and forgot about the pneumonia back in 2017. I'm only concerned with him aging and possibility of injuries, but the elbow injury shouldn't linger and I'm a big fan of Pierce, especially at the price we got him at.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yeah, not holding 2020 against him either and was aware of his asthma issues and forgot about the pneumonia back in 2017. I'm only concerned with him aging and possibility of injuries, but the elbow injury shouldn't linger and I'm a big fan of Pierce, especially at the price we got him at.

it's not like the elbow ended his season either he came back and played the last 4 games of the year

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
Its not about outscoring them, its about scoring in general.you mentioned if williams or hamiltom get hurt but what if bateman gets hurt? if we go into the playoffs with these current 3 wrs, its gonna be the same story like the rest of our loses, especially without a real vertical threat.
Then I guess we'll do without. Based on the current roster it feels like we are leaning towards our dominant 2019 offense, except with better WR, RB, QB and maybe even TE, OL rooms (assuming health). What's not to love?

We could add a WR, but I'd rather run with the cheap, promising rookies in a position that is just not as important to us as it is to other teams around the league. I'm much more keen on us getting Houston (counting down the days for his tag to tie him to us) and maybe another CB.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Then I guess we'll do without. Based on the current roster it feels like we are leaning towards our dominant 2019 offense, except with better WR, RB, QB and maybe even TE, OL rooms (assuming health). What's not to love?

We could add a WR, but I'd rather run with the cheap, promising rookies in a position that is just not as important to us as it is to other teams around the league. I'm much more keen on us getting Houston (counting down the days for his tag to tie him to us) and maybe another CB.
Well I've been pretty adamant about it even since Hollywood was on the roster. Like adding McLaurin or Metcalf doesn't mean we're going to win shoot outs against Buffalo, KC or Cincinnati. If that's what the fan expectations are, its long past time to change expectations. Even with an "alpha" WR, I don't think our offense or our QB are built that way, nor is our roster.

I 100% think the 2022 version of the Ravens will look a lot more like 2019-2020 and a lot less like 2021. Whether that yields more or less wins, or better or worse playoff success, is still a ?.

Lamar's got what should be a very strong Oline, a first round WR, an elite TE, and a RB room that should be much improved. Sounds a lot like what Mahomes had last year, only I think our defense is better than what KC has (at least on paper).

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well I've been pretty adamant about it even since Hollywood was on the roster. Like adding McLaurin or Metcalf doesn't mean we're going to win shoot outs against Buffalo, KC or Cincinnati. If that's what the fan expectations are, its long past time to change expectations. Even with an "alpha" WR, I don't think our offense or our QB are built that way, nor is our roster.

I 100% think the 2022 version of the Ravens will look a lot more like 2019-2020 and a lot less like 2021. Whether that yields more or less wins, or better or worse playoff success, is still a ?.

Lamar's got what should be a very strong Oline, a first round WR, an elite TE, and a RB room that should be much improved. Sounds a lot like what Mahomes had last year, only I think our defense is better than what KC has (at least on paper).
I think everyone missing the point lol and thats fine..

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
be careful with the travis jones senior bowl footage because a lot of those clips are 1v1s (yes he dominated the game as well) where the DL have a massive advantage over the OL - but also most of those guys he's rushing against aren't going to make the league - that said, the level of dominance was encouraging and there are flashes on the tape at UConn that are really exciting too - but he's a 325lb DT who can maybe rush from a 3tech but we just don't know yet and it's hard to project that from rookies

pierce is solid - you're exactly right that those clips are impressive, but they are literally highlights - maybe the improved handwork and 1-gap penetration you see on that tape can translate back to the ravens front but that remains to be seen

madubuike's my boy - the flashes are dominant - needs to find some consistency (not unlike his draft class team-mate PQ) and i'd really like to see the pass rush light come on from him and start to see him chain some moves together because his combination of power, lateral quickness and hands lend themselves to being able to create quick pressure - he took a step in 2021, if he takes another then he could be a dynamic interior threat... but we dont know yet

trust me id love it if madubuike emerged and solved that issue we've had since Ngata left
Great. Thanks

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

That shyt was only dominant in regular season.. got to playoffs and those guys couldnt catch nor get open…

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Then we probably lose more games than we should.
What happens if Stanley doesn't come back? I still don't see a strong contingency plan for that.
What happens if Lamar gets hurt? We all going to sit here and pretend that WRs are going to matter with Huntley back there?
What happens if Oweh gets hurt? How are we getting to the QB?
What happens if Peters or Marlon gets hurt? Who's starting in the DB room?

Here's the REAL question... why doesn't Lamar just make one of these receivers good? Why does he need a true #1 to be great?
Even Tom Brady has struggled when given an awful WR group. Look at his last couple years with the Patriots. And I'd argue every one of those other positions have more depth than WR (other than QB). Literally, our best WR had played half a season and has a lot more yards than any of the others. Hell, in half a season he got twice as many yards as Duv has gotten in any whole season. There's plenty of reason to have zero faith in Duv and WRs that were healthy scratches at times during last season.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I know we have a ways to go until September but if we roll with Bateman, Duv, Tylan and Proche, I pray to god Harbaugh and company know what the hell they’re doing because that’s ballsy

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Then we probably lose more games than we should.
What happens if Stanley doesn't come back? I still don't see a strong contingency plan for that.
What happens if Lamar gets hurt? We all going to sit here and pretend that WRs are going to matter with Huntley back there?
What happens if Oweh gets hurt? How are we getting to the QB?
What happens if Peters or Marlon gets hurt? Who's starting in the DB room?

Here's the REAL question... why doesn't Lamar just make one of these receivers good? Why does he need a true #1 to be great?
Making a wr good is up to the wr and playcaller.. wr can make qbs look better than theyre though but i dnt think its much a qb can for a wr if he cant catch nor get open

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
That shyt was only dominant in regular season.. got to playoffs and those guys couldnt catch nor get open…
We had a singular off game, it happens. I don't see why any strategy should be dominant (14-2) in the regular season and then fall flat in the playoffs. A games a game, both teams always want to win, either it works or it doesn't.

Even Tom Brady has struggled when given an awful WR group. Look at his last couple years with the Patriots. And I'd argue every one of those other positions have more depth than WR (other than QB). Literally, our best WR had played half a season and has a lot more yards than any of the others. Hell, in half a season he got twice as many yards as Duv has gotten in any whole season. There's plenty of reason to have zero faith in Duv and WRs that were healthy scratches at times during last season.
I'm not saying absolutely no to a vet, but I'd take our WR room over 2019's (an injured Hollywood, Boykin, Chris Moore, Seth Roberts, Jaleel Scott, Willie Snead) and we crushed that year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
2019 was completely bottled by us, dropping passes, line got beaten badly. Now I won't disagree we got out coached but that's not why we lost.
We lost because of turnovers and failing on money downs, plain and simple. Some were drops, some were failed 4th and shorts.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
We had a singular off game, it happens. I don't see why any strategy should be dominant (14-2) in the regular season and then fall flat in the playoffs. A games a game, both teams always want to win, either it works or it doesn't.

I'm not saying absolutely no to a vet, but I'd take our WR room over 2019's (an injured Hollywood, Boykin, Chris Moore, Seth Roberts, Jaleel Scott, Willie Snead) and we crushed that year.
I think Chris Moore would easily be WR2 if he was still around. Boykin would possibly beat out Duv for that spot as well.

I hope I'm wrong, but Ravens' fans have a long history of saying such and such WR just needs a chance and they'll be good. It has very rarely worked out.

If I was gonna bet on anyone stepping up it'd be Proche, but I'm not gonna get hyped for another unknown WR until they actually do something.