• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't trade him. I can see why we'd be interested in doing it, but I wouldn't. Especially with how cheap he is this year.
I don't hate Geno Stone, but Safety doesn't look like a position of strength to me if either Williams or Hamilton has injuries. I don't really like the idea of Stone being like a 90% snap count guy.

I've never really understood what fans obsessions are about trading away cheap depth. It's a constant conversation almost every year. It's like we have two high level starters, lets just deal away our average 3rd guy. OK, so when the high level starters get injured, who's playing?

I would have thought the many years of lacking depth on the Oline that fans would have learned that having reasonable depth is arguably as important as having high-end starters, especially on units that are typically more prone to injuries.
Because we’re down a WR and ravens fans will always flock to that position. If we have depth anywhere else then we should trade that depth guy for tEh NeXt AnQuAn BoLdIn

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Because we’re down a WR and ravens fans will always flock to that position. If we have depth anywhere else then we should trade that depth guy for tEh NeXt AnQuAn BoLdIn
Right. And you would think they'd learn that we shouldn't flock to that position, because its not nearly a critical position on this team as it is on others.
I've pretty much figured out that some fans just think the path to beating the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, etc. is trying to outscore them and getting in shootouts with them, which of course, doesn't work.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldn't trade him. I can see why we'd be interested in doing it, but I wouldn't. Especially with how cheap he is this year.
I don't hate Geno Stone, but Safety doesn't look like a position of strength to me if either Williams or Hamilton has injuries. I don't really like the idea of Stone being like a 90% snap count guy.

I've never really understood what fans obsessions are about trading away cheap depth. It's a constant conversation almost every year. It's like we have two high level starters, lets just deal away our average 3rd guy. OK, so when the high level starters get injured, who's playing?

I would have thought the many years of lacking depth on the Oline that fans would have learned that having reasonable depth is arguably as important as having high-end starters, especially on units that are typically more prone to injuries.
agree. I'd much prefer keeping him, unless we got an incredible offer and that isn't going to happen.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
We should trade Chuck for Jamarr Chase, we have too many safety's and we need a WR

Psh.. you must be a new ravens fan. A Lamar stan huh? Real OGs know we wouldn’t target chase. That’s not our MO.

Chuck for Hayden Hurst! Let’s get it!

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Right. And you would think they'd learn that we shouldn't flock to that position, because its not nearly a critical position on this team as it is on others.
I've pretty much figured out that some fans just think the path to beating the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, etc. is trying to outscore them and getting in shootouts with them, which of course, doesn't work.
Its not about outscoring them, its about scoring in general.you mentioned if williams or hamiltom get hurt but what if bateman gets hurt? if we go into the playoffs with these current 3 wrs, its gonna be the same story like the rest of our loses, especially without a real vertical threat.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its not about outscoring them, its about scoring in general.you mentioned if williams or hamiltom get hurt but what if bateman gets hurt? if we go into the playoffs with these current 3 wrs, its gonna be the same story like the rest of our loses, especially without a real vertical threat.
Depends on who we play and how we play.
We've had a real vertical threat on the team for two years now, and it hasn't seemed to matter in the playoffs. So why is 2022 going to be any different?
I'm not assuming we're a playoff team as it stands right now, and I wouldn't assume that if we added a high quality WR also (of which there don't appear to be any available anyway).

I believe we were the highest scoring team in the league in 2019 when we went 14-2. Who were the high quality receivers we had on that team?
I'd be prioritizing how we're going to win the 10-11 games needed to get into the playoffs before I start thinking about how they're going to perform in a playoff game against a team that very well may not have great receivers of their own either.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
yea but what about we are in a 2 minute drill and mark andrews is double covered then what?

What if Bateman has an injury, we roll into a game with Dev as our #1?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
yea but what about we are in a 2 minute drill and mark andrews is double covered then what?

What if Bateman has an injury, we roll into a game with Dev as our #1?
Then we probably lose more games than we should.
What happens if Stanley doesn't come back? I still don't see a strong contingency plan for that.
What happens if Lamar gets hurt? We all going to sit here and pretend that WRs are going to matter with Huntley back there?
What happens if Oweh gets hurt? How are we getting to the QB?
What happens if Peters or Marlon gets hurt? Who's starting in the DB room?

Here's the REAL question... why doesn't Lamar just make one of these receivers good? Why does he need a true #1 to be great?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And for all those who really want Lamar to get a true "stud" WR... his choice to play on the franchise tag, if he so chooses, dramatically decreases the chances of that happening. You can basically take most of your FA class (definitely the high-end one's) and most of your trade combatants off the table, because the cash won't be there to keep them.

That plays a factor here too. People want the Metcalf's or McLaurin's of the world (I don't know they people think the latter is getting traded), but that comes with a nice fat contract too. And that's a tough contract to bake in next year when your QB has a $35M cap hit that he may or may not be willing to adjust down.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Man, Pierce is uber destructive in the pocket. One man can't hold him back. He is able to shed even double teams to make tackles. He is an awesome signing because he is a lot better than he was here. He was pretty good here. Also, one thing I noticed is he plays through the whistle. Constant pressure and effort.

I can't imagine how much penetration Pierce, Travis Jones, Calais Campbell, Madubieke, and Washington will bring in rotation right up the middle. I think Oweh and Bowser will be able to really feast as will our occasional blitzer. With this much talent up the middle, I think we can play 2 safeties in the back and take away passing lanes for QBs. I am pumped about the upcoming season, especially defensively.

It’s a tough group to move - the question will be how much pass rush we can find from those guys up the middle - Pierce is certainly more of a rush threat than Williams and jones has a ton of promise and I believe madubuike has all the talent you need to be a dynamic interior pass rush threat (he just hasn’t put it together yet) and Calais is Calais

There’s certainly rush potential there but it’s unproven for sure

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Love Hortiz. I bet a lot of people are bummed Hortiz didn’t land any GM gigs this year. Feel like he’s in a lot more videos this draft… they must want to promote him for next years GM searches.
It’s interesting that a lot of the teams looking for GMs this year honed in on cap-side front office experienced guys rather than personnel-side guys

Hortiz deserves a shot and I imagine putting him more in the public eye is partly about helping him get more opportunities to be seen given that despite his reputation and experience he’s only had a couple of interviews for external jobs the last few years

That said, he’s massively influential and important to our personnel side here so not mad at all that he’s still here lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I’m keeping Clark unless he makes it difficult to keep him or unless another team offers us something of decent value

I love him as a 3rd safety/dime/depth option - he’s cheap and pretty high quality in that spot but if someone offers us something valuable for him then I’m going to be very interested in a deal

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m keeping Clark unless he makes it difficult to keep him or unless another team offers us something of decent value

I love him as a 3rd safety/dime/depth option - he’s cheap and pretty high quality in that spot but if someone offers us something valuable for him then I’m going to be very interested in a deal
I don't really see how or why he'd try to "force" his way out. He's not like a high impact player, and 31 other NFL teams know that. It's not like he's going to have a 10 team bidding war for him if he were a FA.
He may gripe a bit, but if he decides to hold out or do something stupid, every team in the league is going to see that, and I think that decreases the chances of him being traded.

Realistically, he's not back in 2023 under the current contract anyway, and hopefully his agent knows that. So if I were him, I'd go the Baker Mayfield route, which is shut up, play as well as you can, and wait until next year when you'll likely end up as a FA.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't really see how or why he'd try to "force" his way out. He's not like a high impact player, and 31 other NFL teams know that. It's not like he's going to have a 10 team bidding war for him if he were a FA.
He may gripe a bit, but if he decides to hold out or do something stupid, every team in the league is going to see that, and I think that decreases the chances of him being traded.

Realistically, he's not back in 2023 under the current contract anyway, and hopefully his agent knows that. So if I were him, I'd go the Baker Mayfield route, which is shut up, play as well as you can, and wait until next year when you'll likely end up as a FA.

Ultimately if Clark leaves it’ll be about snap counts - and I’m not suggesting he holds out or anything but I can see him making it clear to EDC that he wants to go somewhere else and EDC giving him permission to go and find a deal that’s “fair” (ravens have to win somehow)

I think it would be a mistake for him to leave this year but it wouldn’t surprise me if he thinks he might only play 60-70% of the snaps here but could play 100% somewhere else

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ultimately if Clark leaves it’ll be about snap counts - and I’m not suggesting he holds out or anything but I can see him making it clear to EDC that he wants to go somewhere else and EDC giving him permission to go and find a deal that’s “fair” (ravens have to win somehow)

I think it would be a mistake for him to leave this year but it wouldn’t surprise me if he thinks he might only play 60-70% of the snaps here but could play 100% somewhere else
Maybe so. I just don't know what a "fair" deal looks like. I'm not dealing him for a 4th round pick. I'd want at least a 3, and maybe higher, which we won't get.
Plus I think that needs to happen in the next four months, otherwise he's more valuable to be kept.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe so. I just don't know what a "fair" deal looks like. I'm not dealing him for a 4th round pick. I'd want at least a 3, and maybe higher, which we won't get.
Plus I think that needs to happen in the next four months, otherwise he's more valuable to be kept.

i dont disagree with any of that at all
just wary that EDC has stated a few times now that he doesnt want hostages, he wants guys who want to be here - so ultimately if clark does want out, they might find a way to make it happen

but i do think the compensation is difficult

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s a tough group to move - the question will be how much pass rush we can find from those guys up the middle - Pierce is certainly more of a rush threat than Williams and jones has a ton of promise and I believe madubuike has all the talent you need to be a dynamic interior pass rush threat (he just hasn’t put it together yet) and Calais is Calais

There’s certainly rush potential there but it’s unproven for sure
Pierce can pass rush from the interior. We just saw that in the clips put together. I understand it is just a clip of his best plays, but still, he looked unblockable. We know from the senior bowl footage, that Davis is a monster, a solid bull-like monster that will trample you if you are in his way. Calais is Calais, but slower than before given his age. Add in Madubieke and Washington (the flashes we've seen). I think one can easily surmise how they'll rush the passer in live games no? I think we can reasonably project a solid interior pass rush from these players. At least that is my realistic visualization.