• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Naw we didnt lose because of prep on our end.. titans won maybe because they prepared better and youre right, they were able to execute..i dnt remember our players dropping the ball that much until that playoff game vs titans..shit different in playoffs man. Dnt think teams just out there looking different because of a bad day.. titans made us look sloppy and made our pass protection look weak..our team was better suited to stop the run much more than kc yet kc shut henry ass down that year in offs.

. BB has built his team the same since i can remember regardless of what another team struggles to defend. rbs that can catch, tightends, slot wrs, and basically anyone on the outside lol. Defense, his secondary usually always nice and he has a few swiss army knife like guys on his front 7 every so often. Mediocre pass rush and usually a mediocre oline that plays great in his scheme….

Just watched some of it that game and smh.. those drops by snead and andrews were crazy.. although the one to andrews was pretty high.. titans looked like they knew all our 4th down calls
Andrews during the regular season would have caught that ball, but he was playing on an ankle injury and wasn't completely healed, thus couldn't get up as high to catch the ball. Ingram was also injured that game and shouldn't have played as much as he did. Definitely should have used Gus much more, but hindsight is 20/20. Anyway, I don't blame that loss on injuries, I blame it on execution and we sorely lacked in that.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Andrews during the regular season would have caught that ball, but he was playing on an ankle injury and wasn't completely healed, thus couldn't get up as high to catch the ball. Ingram was also injured that game and shouldn't have played as much as he did. Definitely should have used Gus much more, but hindsight is 20/20. Anyway, I don't blame that loss on injuries, I blame it on execution and we sorely lacked in that.
We didnt execute well but wouldnt titans be a little responsible for that too?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
OK, but you're making my points for me. How do you prepare to not execute? Like what's Roman supposed to do differently to get receivers to catch the ball? To get Guards to execute pass protection?
If you're acknowledging the playoffs are "different", than why are we trying to build an offense for games that a) we don't know if we'll even be playing in (see last year) and b) is primarily about execution?
I don't know that Roman's "offense" can win in the playoffs, because I haven't seen the Ravens team successfully execute what he wants to do in the playoffs.

You're also making my point about Belichick. What you just described is called building a team that's versatile and isn't pigeon-holed in winning one way. He can run the ball on anybody. When he had Brady, he could obviously throw it on anybody. He looked around the league about 5 years ago and realized "hey, everybody is building great secondaries and great pass rushes", so why is he going to bother trying to load up with high end outside receivers, when every defense in the league is largely trying to build a defense to stop that? So, he doesn't. He loads up on TEs who punish linebackers, RBs who can catch, and slot receivers. And he attacks the middle of the field where most defenses are weaker.

With Brady that worked wonderfully. Without, not so much, because they're not threatening anybody in the pass game at the moment.

Historically, he's also struggled to defend Lamar-style QBs. QBs who can run, and especially, who can run the option, have been giving Bill fits for years. That's mostly because in order to defend that, he needs a linebacking and Dline core that can, and he spends most of his defensive assets on the secondary, like most teams do, because its a pass-heavy league.

End of day, building an offensive scheme that's purely designed to "win in the playoffs", to me, is totally asinine. You should build an offense to be a good offense. Home, away, playoffs, regular season. Doesn't matter. If you don't win enough between Sept-Dec, doesn't matter what you do in January, because you won't be playing. I'm not interested in having an offense that's perfect to beat KC, but ends up making us a 9-8 team. Just because a style of offense can beat specific teams doesn't mean it can beat enough teams.

And while you're certainly not the only person doing this, its extremely "odd" to be praising Belichick for his game planning and schemes, when the Ravens are, in some ways, doing exactly what he's been doing for years. Why do you think the Ravens are emphasizing the running game, TEs, etc. on offense? Because most teams aren't built to stop it. I know a LOT of teams who have secondaries that can at least slow down elite offenses. I know a lot of teams that have great pass rushes and/or a really strong secondary.
I know very few who can consistently stop the run, and I know very few who are great in coverage against TEs and inside receivers.

So do we want the Ravens to attack what other teams do poorly, or do we want them to just be like the Chiefs, the Bills, etc., who have potent passing attacks with lots of speed and lots of deep shots, but can't run the ball consistently at all and become one dimensional frequently in a big games?
you think its simply about “ we didnt execute” .. the reason for that is because defenses made it so we couldnt or made us struggle to do so.. im not saying build an offense to win in the playoffs, im saying the offense that we run seems to be easier to stop once playoffs come and teams game plan on us with a season long of tape being out… dnt matter what other team is doing it; not a single coach can replicate what BB doing, well him and josh mcdaniels.. you would be crazy to think that its odd for giving BB his praise.

Put it this way so you can really understand what im trying to say…. If roman was just our run game coordinator and we had a decent OC, our offense wouldve looked much better in those playoff games…. Also, what i will say is this… i think roman learned alot last season due to all the injuries.. i also believe that last season has improved lamars game a ton so could this year be different? possibly

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you think its simply about “ we didnt execute” .. the reason for that is because defenses made it so we couldnt or made us struggle to do so.. im not saying build an offense to win in the playoffs, im saying the offense that we run seems to be easier to stop once playoffs come and teams game plan on us with a season long of tape being out… dnt matter what other team is doing it; not a single coach can replicate what BB doing, well him and josh mcdaniels.. you would be crazy to think that its odd for giving BB his praise.

Put it this way so you can really understand what im trying to say…. If roman was just our run game coordinator and we had a decent OC, our offense wouldve looked much better in those playoff games…. Also, what i will say is this… i think roman learned alot last season due to all the injuries.. i also believe that last season has improved lamars game a ton so could this year be different? possibly
Right, and I don't agree with the last part at all. What did defenses do to make receivers drop passes in the Titans game? What did they do to make Lamar make errant throws, or make RBs fumble? You're giving the defense too much credit for what are largely mental mistakes.

I never said it was crazy to give Belichick praise. I'm saying its crazy to give Belichick praise for zigging when other teams are zagging, which is what he's been doing for decades now, and then criticize Roman or other coaches for taking unconventional approaches to an offense, i.e., not just running the air raid and playing pitch and catch out there.

The "they've had a season to gameplan" stuff doesn't hold any weight with me. Not only have teams had a season, they've had years. Many, many, many years. They've had years to gameplan for Lamar, they've had years to gameplan for Roman, since apparently, Roman's been running the exact same offense as an OC for like a decade now.

Yet somehow, in the regular season, magically, teams struggle to stop it consistently. It's amazing how that works...

Playoffs is about execution and matchups. They get like 5 days of film study to prepare for an opponent just like every other team does. There's no advanced prep time there. Everybody already knows what everybody is good at, what they're bad at, etc. There's no fooling anybody in the playoffs. Everybody knows what everybody is doing.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Right, and I don't agree with the last part at all. What did defenses do to make receivers drop passes in the Titans game? What did they do to make Lamar make errant throws, or make RBs fumble? You're giving the defense too much credit for what are largely mental mistakes.

I never said it was crazy to give Belichick praise. I'm saying its crazy to give Belichick praise for zigging when other teams are zagging, which is what he's been doing for decades now, and then criticize Roman or other coaches for taking unconventional approaches to an offense, i.e., not just running the air raid and playing pitch and catch out there.

The "they've had a season to gameplan" stuff doesn't hold any weight with me. Not only have teams had a season, they've had years. Many, many, many years. They've had years to gameplan for Lamar, they've had years to gameplan for Roman, since apparently, Roman's been running the exact same offense as an OC for like a decade now.

Yet somehow, in the regular season, magically, teams struggle to stop it consistently. It's amazing how that works...

Playoffs is about execution and matchups. They get like 5 days of film study to prepare for an opponent just like every other team does. There's no advanced prep time there. Everybody already knows what everybody is good at, what they're bad at, etc. There's no fooling anybody in the playoffs. Everybody knows what everybody is doing.
Oh so rbs just fumble outta no where with no one touching them? Yea lamar has had some accuracy issues but didnt you say our pass protection was bad? You think lamar fked up on throws just cause? the way our games go often force us outta our normal game plan and thats when all hell breaks loose..thats credit to the opposing team always bro.. you dnt think that fucks up lamar and our offensive play calling alot?

The drop passes couldve been on us but i really dnt remember them all

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh so rbs just fumble outta no where with no one touching them? Yea lamar has had some accuracy issues but didnt you say our pass protection was bad? You think lamar fked up on throws just cause? the way our games go often force us outta our normal game plan and thats when all hell breaks loose..thats credit to the opposing team always bro.. you dnt think that fucks up lamar and our offensive play calling alot?

The drop passes couldve been on us but i really dnt remember them all
Mostly, yes. There's a handful of throws in that game that Lamar missed just because he's human and he missed. And he normally wouldn't miss them.

I think your gameplan can easily be fucked up by other factors other than the defense forcing you to be fucked up. Dropped passes is a great way to do that. Largely unforced turnovers is as well.

All hell breaks loose when you're not executing your gameplan at all, and you have to abandon it to do something you don't want to do. That's when all hell breaks loose. Some of that is the defense forcing you to do it, some of it is self-inflicted.

Regardless, it kind of doesn't matter why, because in either scenario, it's hard to argue that's on the OC. The OC's job is design a gameplan to win. He doesn't execute it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

so JK's legit saying he thinks there's a chance he could be practicing in 8 days time...
that's massively at odds with what rapsheet has said...

i get that JK's likely probably overly-hopeful about practicing in 8 days but the fact that he thinks there's a chance has to be a pretty massive positive when thinking about training camp, the preseason and week 1 surely?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Speaking of AFC North offensive players.............

1658170323576.png

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess he is expecting a longer suspension if that's what the message he is leaking.
Possibly. Or at least longer than his team is negotiating for.

In some ways its just a leverage tool. He's basically firing a shot that says "you do this, and I do that". If the NFL continues to drag its feet on the decision, and they come out and announce in like August, doesn't give the court system much time to work through the options. Wouldn't be super hard to get an injunction on the suspension until courts weigh in on it, which would allow Watson to play right away.

Basically the Ezekiel Elliott route.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Possibly. Or at least longer than his team is negotiating for.

In some ways its just a leverage tool. He's basically firing a shot that says "you do this, and I do that". If the NFL continues to drag its feet on the decision, and they come out and announce in like August, doesn't give the court system much time to work through the options. Wouldn't be super hard to get an injunction on the suspension until courts weigh in on it, which would allow Watson to play right away.

Basically the Ezekiel Elliott route.

Have to think the Browns would just want it wrapped up though. Elliott got a couple injunctions and the process got dragged out because it had jurisdiction issues, but he just got suspended weeks 9-14 instead of weeks 1-6. If Watson's looking at a 12+ game suspension, you'd think they wouldn't risk Watson missing 2023 games. Especially when the NFL has won the most recent appeals of suspensions (Brady, Elliott).