• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I guess it does depend on the timing and what movie you're going to. I don't usually look at the showtimes for the theaters with reserved seating because it annoys me and we have one of those old movie theaters that doesn't have reserved seating. Only problem is that it's not showing Aquaman, which we were going to take my uncle to see. He works weird days where he has off Mondays and Tuesdays, so this is the only time it works for my brother before he has to go back to school. And my uncle can't make up his mind about when he wants to see it, despite us trying to coordinate this a week ago.

I'm a bit irritated right now.

Tl;dr I try to avoid the reserved seats, so I don't know how often things fill up and how the timing of when the movie was released affects it. I've never had too much luck looking on the day of.

All the big releases have been out for a couple of weekends now so shouldn’t be fully booked at this point I’d imagine

Aquaman isn’t the force awakens or infinity war lol

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
All the big releases have been out for a couple of weekends now so shouldn’t be fully booked at this point I’d imagine

Aquaman isn’t the force awakens or infinity war lol
The standard showtime was full when I looked this morning. Of course, the IMAX wasn't full, but the tickets are expensive af.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Top ten WORST movies of 2018

1. Holmes at Watson: I went to this off of a free ticket and the fact that I am a huge fan of John C. Reilly. I'm pretty sure that I'm actually like @JoeyFlex5 says I am now and have a disability. This movie sucked that bad. It actually insulted my intelligence.
2. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Yup. I liked the first Jurassic World. It was a fun popcorn flick. This movie was boring and the ending was so bad that I literally wanted to bang my head against the wall.
3. Venom: This movie is like the room for me. It's so bad that it's good. It's funny, it's corny. But it's stupid as all hell. I enjoyed it, but it's a terrible film and a stupid idea.
4. Gotti: I like John Travolta, I like Mobster biopics... This movie is just a failure
5. The Happy Time Murders: Fuck Melissa McCarthy.
6. Ocean's Eight. Can we please stop with the SJW gender swapping movies? Please? This movie only had one redeemable thing about it: Anne Hathaway.
7. Fifty Shades Freed: The only reason this movie isn't #1 is because this movie got me laid on Valentine's Day.
8. The Darkest minds: Can we please stop with these teenage science fiction drama movies. Only the Hunger Games has worked and it's for a good reason. That world is interesting, these worlds are not.
9. Robin Hood: See my review for Venom. This movie is awful but I utterly enjoyed it because it has a good cast. It's literally Batman Begins but with Robin Hood.
10. Solo: Not a bad movie, but extremely forgettable

Honorable Mention: Black Panther. This movie doesn't suck, but it's easily the most overrated movie of 2018. Bar none. Everyone told me it was some kind of a masterpiece but it's got a bunch of already dated jokes from Shuri, almost no actual character development from the protagonist, terrible terrible special effects, and it commits the same crime that Star Wars did and wastes Andy Serkis. The saving grace of the movie is Micheal B. Jordan, who seems to think that he's in a serious dramatic movie and it's honestly refreshing. Give that man an Oscar already. This movie was remarkably average otherwise. If Infinity War was the most overhyped movie of all time, this movie is the most overrated.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Okay... I liked the first happy death day, a lot. It was really entertaining and fun...

There is no need for a sequel

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
RIP Bob Einstein

FoGshj.gif

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Just watched Mile 22. I am usually not one for these type of action shoot them up movies but it kept you going the whole time. Very action packed. Thought it was far fetched but decent.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'm really on board with the Peter Berg/Mark Wahlberg combo

Patriots Day
Deepwater Horizon
Mile 22

Really like all 3
Makes you wonder if there's going to be a sequel to Mile 22 with how they ended it. Wouldn't bother me either way.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I didn't even see 10 movies in theaters this past year but overall thoughts on what I did see

Killmonger is the highlight of Black Panther by far, other than that the movie is fairly forgettable. Kinda wish they kept Killmonger alive though, one of the more interesting Marvel characters.

Infinity War was a good movie overall. The pacing is a bit off in parts but it is understandable with all the characters they had to fit in. Still, there was a lot of pressure on this movie to deliver to the hype of everything that came before and it did it's job. It won't win best picture or anything but I'll be frank in that I am looking forward to Engame far more than I am to Episode 9 of Star Wars.

Solo wasn't terrible but I already forget most of that movie, did we really need it? I honestly almost forgot to list it

Ant Man and the Wasp was a fun movie to watch, the one guy was a bit cringe worthy but outside of that I enjoyed the movie.

Saw They Shall Not Grow Old just before the end of the year too. They are showing it again in theaters on the 21st of January. Highly recommend for those with any interest in World War I

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Killmonger is the highlight of Black Panther by far, other than that the movie is fairly forgettable. Kinda wish they kept Killmonger alive though, one of the more interesting Marvel characters.

i think one of the most interesting things about killmonger though is that he goes out on his own terms - how he gets to die still as an individual (and this is kind of a meta-commentary) rather than "enslaved" as part of the marvel machine that maximises the commerciality of all its characters

Infinity War was a good movie overall. The pacing is a bit off in parts but it is understandable with all the characters they had to fit in. Still, there was a lot of pressure on this movie to deliver to the hype of everything that came before and it did it's job. It won't win best picture or anything but I'll be frank in that I am looking forward to Engame far more than I am to Episode 9 of Star Wars.

maybe it's just me as a star wars fan but im way more excited about episode ix than endgame - ill watch both sure but i find the characters in the star wars saga so much more compelling and especially the way they relate to each other

infinity war and endgame feels way more like a puzzle than a movie to me personally - its certainly interesting and ill probably enjoy it (albeit i wasnt a big fan of infinity war) but im not that into it - ironically ant man and the wasp had me way more excited for endgame than infinity war did lol - and i imagine captain marvel will too

solo's a funny one lol - perfectly fine good heist movie that was instantly forgettable despite having more easter eggs and references than any previous star wars film - also really poor marketing and release - should have come out this christmas and would have made a ton more money

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
i think one of the most interesting things about killmonger though is that he goes out on his own terms - how he gets to die still as an individual (and this is kind of a meta-commentary) rather than "enslaved" as part of the marvel machine that maximises the commerciality of all its characters

maybe it's just me as a star wars fan but im way more excited about episode ix than endgame - ill watch both sure but i find the characters in the star wars saga so much more compelling and especially the way they relate to each other

infinity war and endgame feels way more like a puzzle than a movie to me personally - its certainly interesting and ill probably enjoy it (albeit i wasnt a big fan of infinity war) but im not that into it - ironically ant man and the wasp had me way more excited for endgame than infinity war did lol - and i imagine captain marvel will too

solo's a funny one lol - perfectly fine good heist movie that was instantly forgettable despite having more easter eggs and references than any previous star wars film - also really poor marketing and release - should have come out this christmas and would have made a ton more money

Yeah I get that and I respect that but I think it would make infinity war a better movie to have him in it, especially if he survived the snap. I mean like you say, Marvel doesn't have as many interesting characters besides Iron Man and Captain America. Loki to some extent but it is a bit of a shame that one of marvel's best characters only gets one movie. But him going out on his own terms works too and is powerful.

I think the big reason I am excited for Endgame is that I don't know where they are going to go with it. I think after this movie, I will be just about done with Marvel but this is the last big swan song for a good chunk of the original avengers and I want to see their journey end.

In regards to Ant Man and the Wasp, I enjoyed the movie and thought it had good humor throughout but nothing in the movie really stuck with me. The biggest scene I remember is actually the post credits scene which ties into Infinity War and how he will get out of the situation he is in.

I will probably end up seeing 9 but I thought 8 ruined a lot of the characters. I enjoyed the Force Awakens but I really don't care for what they do in 9. I mean how many times do we have to see the Rebels vs. the Empire? Are they going to blow up another death star? 8 kinda killed a lot of the hype I had because after 7 I was in a similar place I am now in regards to Endgame where I wanted to see what they would do. Like the only thing left is Rey vs. Kylo and we all know how that is going to go.

In regards to Solo I agree, releasing that less than 6 months after 8 was kinda dumb. I think over-saturation hurt that one. Too much star wars. It was alright but did we really need a movie on it? I mean what next? A Jar Jar Binks origin story?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I get that and I respect that but I think it would make infinity war a better movie to have him in it, especially if he survived the snap. I mean like you say, Marvel doesn't have as many interesting characters besides Iron Man and Captain America. Loki to some extent but it is a bit of a shame that one of marvel's best characters only gets one movie. But him going out on his own terms works too and is powerful.

yeah it might have been nice but the strength of the non-avengers MCU movies is that they get to work on an individual level and they dont (for the mostpart) sacrifice the storytelling and character of those movies just to fit into the larger team-up movies

I will probably end up seeing 9 but I thought 8 ruined a lot of the characters. I enjoyed the Force Awakens but I really don't care for what they do in 9. I mean how many times do we have to see the Rebels vs. the Empire? Are they going to blow up another death star? 8 kinda killed a lot of the hype I had because after 7 I was in a similar place I am now in regards to Endgame where I wanted to see what they would do. Like the only thing left is Rey vs. Kylo and we all know how that is going to go.

it's funny how drastically different our opinions are lol - i enjoyed the force awakens but the last jedi was maybe my favourite cinema moment of all time - i adore that film and what it did with the characters and the fact that I have absolutely no idea how it's going to end - for me a lot of the character beats were the only way those characters could work given where they were left in the force awakens - the relationship between kylo and rey is awesome and i dont think the ending is a foregone conclusion - i mean the only thing that's for sure going to happen (and this is the same of endgame) is that the resistance (and the avengers) are gonna win

but im 100% hyped for how they deal with the relationship between kylo and rey and what that means for the balance of the force and what that means for the first order and how kylo deals with being the supreme leader and how rey deals with being the last jedi and poe and finn and rose and im excited that i get to see carrie fisher play leia one last time posthumously

and maybe the last ever john williams movie score

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
yeah it might have been nice but the strength of the non-avengers MCU movies is that they get to work on an individual level and they dont (for the mostpart) sacrifice the storytelling and character of those movies just to fit into the larger team-up movies

it's funny how drastically different our opinions are lol - i enjoyed the force awakens but the last jedi was maybe my favourite cinema moment of all time - i adore that film and what it did with the characters and the fact that I have absolutely no idea how it's going to end - for me a lot of the character beats were the only way those characters could work given where they were left in the force awakens - the relationship between kylo and rey is awesome and i dont think the ending is a foregone conclusion - i mean the only thing that's for sure going to happen (and this is the same of endgame) is that the resistance (and the avengers) are gonna win

but im 100% hyped for how they deal with the relationship between kylo and rey and what that means for the balance of the force and what that means for the first order and how kylo deals with being the supreme leader and how rey deals with being the last jedi and poe and finn and rose and im excited that i get to see carrie fisher play leia one last time posthumously

and maybe the last ever john williams movie score

Yeah I think our opinions are opposite in regards to all of it haha