• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
The animation in the DBZ movies has generally been done really well.

Yea.. the movies are usually very well done. The new style fit and was real smooth. The actual fight "choreography"... um. Whatever the hell you call it an anime were creative as well. Vegeta is a goddam brute.

Yeah I think a big part of it was that they had the time to get everything done. This may be the best looking of all the dragon ball movies. From what I hear the dragon ball super schedule was pretty tight so while things improved it was a bit hit and miss, especially early. I am also happy with the new designs.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Yeah I think a big part of it was that they had the time to get everything done. This may be the best looking of all the dragon ball movies. From what I hear the dragon ball super schedule was pretty tight so while things improved it was a bit hit and miss, especially early. I am also happy with the new designs.

It's tough when you're pumping them out every week. My problem with Super was they wasted the first 40 or so episodes it retelling the two movies. That should have been used to put them ahead. The ToP animation, though... GODDAM that shit was beautiful. Still prefer the Android-Buu animation and what they did with the new movie, but that artwork was insane.

That Goku Kamehameha to Kefla...

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
It's tough when you're pumping them out every week. My problem with Super was they wasted the first 40 or so episodes it retelling the two movies. That should have been used to put them ahead. The ToP animation, though... GODDAM that shit was beautiful. Still prefer the Android-Buu animation and what they did with the new movie, but that artwork was insane.

That Goku Kamehameha to Kefla...

Episode 130 looked better than some movies, beautiful stuff and a long way from where the show started. Don't get me started on Yuya Takahashi and Shida

I agree in being partial to those Buu saga designs though, those were great.

Awesome moment

rossihunter2

Staff Member
also bohemian rhapsody is an awfully edited film:

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1099858014381719552

it won for best editing - ahead of the favourite and blackkklansman - the rest of that category is an awfully selected group of nominees... green book? vice? there's nothing particularly good about the editing in those films at all - and bohemian rhapsody is objectively edited awfully - in that scene in the twitter link there's 59 cuts in 96 seconds... that's ridiculous - i just edited a short film 10 minutes long with 110 cuts total - watching that scene from bohemian rhapsody genuinely makes me uncomfortable...

it also won for best sound mixing (which is arguably fair enough) but it also won for best sound editing of which there is very little in the film at all

the technical categories really should be voted on purely by those who work in that environment

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
also bohemian rhapsody is an awfully edited film:

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1099858014381719552

it won for best editing - ahead of the favourite and blackkklansman - the rest of that category is an awfully selected group of nominees... green book? vice? there's nothing particularly good about the editing in those films at all - and bohemian rhapsody is objectively edited awfully - in that scene in the twitter link there's 59 cuts in 96 seconds... that's ridiculous - i just edited a short film 10 minutes long with 110 cuts total - watching that scene from bohemian rhapsody genuinely makes me uncomfortable...

it also won for best sound mixing (which is arguably fair enough) but it also won for best sound editing of which there is very little in the film at all

the technical categories really should be voted on purely by those who work in that environment
I can't stomach awards shows. It's all pop culture nonsense.
I did enjoy the Queen flick. But that movie was made pretty entirely by its lead actor's portrayal. The other members were given horrible childish throw away lines with really cliched plot development.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Searching deserved that best editing award and it's not even close, the fact that it wasn't even nominated is a travesty

And A Star Is Born should've gotten best picture, but the nomination list for most of these awards was abysmal.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Searching deserved that best editing award and it's not even close, the fact that it wasn't even nominated is a travesty

And A Star Is Born should've gotten best picture, but the nomination list for most of these awards was abysmal.

searching's interesting but it's not actually editing in the conventional sense - it's technically cool and has some awesome elements in it but its hard to really call what it does editing in the same way that other films are editing... if anything it should be VFX or production design that it would be more appropriate for...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can't stomach awards shows. It's all pop culture nonsense.
I did enjoy the Queen flick. But that movie was made pretty entirely by its lead actor's portrayal. The other members were given horrible childish throw away lines with really cliched plot development.

what's crazy about that is that the other members had those arcs because their real-life counterparts are still alive and are producers on the film - there were weird stipulations in that film about how all the members had to have a certain amount of screen impact and everyone had to have the same angles and changed significant parts of the story to make freddie look like the instigator of certain things in stead of them

i agree it was a really enjoyable film but there's something disingenuous about almost every part of it

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Roommates lost all credibility when they said that Captain Marvel is a landmark super hero movie because it’s the first female led superhero movie, whereas Wonder Woman, which is way better may I add, was released two years ago.

I don’t care about the politics behind it either. It’s just an average marvel movie

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Roommates lost all credibility when they said that Captain Marvel is a landmark super hero movie because it’s the first female led superhero movie, whereas Wonder Woman, which is way better may I add, was released two years ago.

I don’t care about the politics behind it either. It’s just an average marvel movie

strong disagree - not on the landmark superhero movie but i thought it was brilliant and charming and a brilliant origin movie lol

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler

I'll see the film over the next couple days but how do they forget that Wonder Woman is already the best DCEU movie?