• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just watched Snatch. Best Brad Pitt role.

Snatch is one of my favorite movies of all-time! I really enjoyed Lock Stock as well.

Blade Runner 2049 is one of it not the most impressive movies Ive ever seen, it does run long though so you need an appreciation for the first film. Also make sure you see the directors cut not the theater cut, the voiceover exposotion is the worst Ive ever heard.

Definitely movie of the year so far for me and, as at least one other person has said, "an instant classic". It's one of the rare sequels that I think surpasses the original (and I loved the first Blade Runner too).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it has one of the most interesting sex scenes (without being graphic at all) ive ever seen depicted in cinema
it has maybe the most beautiful cinematography ive seen in any film for a long time
the performances are wonderfully nuanced
the plot is long but every scene and every beat makes sense and follows a continuity that makes you forget (mostly) how long it is
the action is short, gritty and brutal and comes out of nowhere pacing wise and always serves the story
the themes both support and enhance the philosophical leanings and questions of the original
the score is unbelievable and the way it reflects on the original music is incredible - the way it suggests vangelis but also is its own piece except for that final scene where they reuse the beautiful music from the rutger hauer scene at the end of the original is a wonderful note to both reflect and enjoy - it made me well up
literally everything about this movie is phenomenal and id say itd be a snub if it didnt appear in virtually every oscar category it is eligible in: picture, director, original screenplay, cinematography, actor, supporting actor, supporting actress, costume, hair and makeup, editing, sound editing, sound mixing, original score, production design, VFX

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
2049 was monumental. If you ever need to understand what a director of photography is for, go watch that movie and open your eyes.

Fun Fact: there was a fight in the theatre at the beginning of the movie because a guy randomly lighted a cigarette. Made the moment even more special.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2049 was monumental. If you ever need to understand what a director of photography is for, go watch that movie and open your eyes.

Fun Fact: there was a fight in the theatre at the beginning of the movie because a guy randomly lighted a cigarette. Made the moment even more special.

roger deakins should have won an oscar years ago and multiple times since (he's one of the best and most influential working cinematographers/DOPs of all time, if he doesnt win this year finally itll be an absolute tragedy - this might be one of the best looking and best shot films ever made

if you arent aware of who he is or his work just look up his filmography and peruse the list of incredible looking films that he's shot and the level of directors who keep returning to him because hes that good at what he does

bladerunner 2049, sicario, prisoners, skyfall, true grit, the reader, assassination of jesse james, no country for old men, hail caeasar, a beautiful mind, o brother where art thou, the big lebowski, fargo, shawshank redemption, the secret garden, barton fink, nineteen eighty four and many more - he was even consulted on for wall-e

the coen brothers have collaborated with him 12 times, sam mendes 3 times and denis villeneuve 3 times (so far) among other huge directing names - so often he's the first guy on anyone's list to work with

i dont think theres a better DOP working today and id say hes for sure the best working in the last quarter of a century and maybe of all time
i think the only cinematographer who gets close in terms of having their own inimitable style and with similar skill is emmanuel lubezki but he's very showy in his style

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Teacher: Now, who knows what disease this sheep has?

Kingi: AIDS?

Teacher: Not AIDS, you dork!

Haha boy is great - but I think his last 3 films are now my favourites: what we do in the shadows is absolute farce in the best possible way, Hunt for the wilderpeople is the perfect blend of feeling and comedy (I showed the film to my dad after I’d seen it like 3-4 times already and there’s a moment where rhys darby claps his hands to try and turn some candles off remotely and we absolutely wet ourselves) - I have now seen Thor ragnarok and it’s maybe the best film in the marvel cinematic universe - and I loved Spider-Man homecoming this year also but I think Thor leaves it in the rear view mirror

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Haha boy is great - but I think his last 3 films are now my favourites: what we do in the shadows is absolute farce in the best possible way, Hunt for the wilderpeople is the perfect blend of feeling and comedy (I showed the film to my dad after I’d seen it like 3-4 times already and there’s a moment where rhys darby claps his hands to try and turn some candles off remotely and we absolutely wet ourselves) - I have now seen Thor ragnarok and it’s maybe the best film in the marvel cinematic universe - and I loved Spider-Man homecoming this year also but I think Thor leaves it in the rear view mirror
I haven't thought much about Ragnarok, maybe because of the other Thor movues, but now I really want to see it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I haven't thought much about Ragnarok, maybe because of the other Thor movues, but now I really want to see it.

It’s brilliant - it’s musically great, visually exciting, has some incredible performances and some really intriguing and exciting new characters, a really interesting hero’s journey, great comedy and yet still functions as a furthering of marvel lore and the mcu’s drive for interconnectedness

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
It’s brilliant - it’s musically great, visually exciting, has some incredible performances and some really intriguing and exciting new characters, a really interesting hero’s journey, great comedy and yet still functions as a furthering of marvel lore and the mcu’s drive for interconnectedness
So hyped!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So hyped!

i forgot to say this before but i feel its important in terms of judging this film by its artistic value - yes this is the next marvel cinematic universe film, yes its the sequel to thor dark world but i think more than anything it is actually a taika waititi film - unlike many new(er) directors who come in to the MCU and get swallowed up into the machine, this very much feels the whole way through like a taika waititi film even down to the improvisation, the actors, the aesthetics and everything

kind of makes me pissed that the MCU didnt let edgar wright do what he wanted with ant man

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
i forgot to say this before but i feel its important in terms of judging this film by its artistic value - yes this is the next marvel cinematic universe film, yes its the sequel to thor dark world but i think more than anything it is actually a taika waititi film - unlike many new(er) directors who come in to the MCU and get swallowed up into the machine, this very much feels the whole way through like a taika waititi film even down to the improvisation, the actors, the aesthetics and everything

kind of makes me pissed that the MCU didnt let edgar wright do what he wanted with ant man
That's good, I suppose. I don't really know a lot about directors.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 Did you see that there's going to be a new Star Wars trilogy?

i literally shit a brick when i saw the news - it's being directed by rian johnson too which tells me a few things that are all pretty positive:

1) the last jedi is probably going to be a great film
2) rian johnson enjoyed working with them and the story group probably brought him in for a chat and said how would you like to work with us again and he said yes and they said here's a bunch of ideas - what do you think you could do for us... im glad that its not the next trilogy in the main saga - i like that they will probably let that saga breath for at least 4-5 years after episode IX
3) rather than rian johnson being tired of star wars, this is the reason that JJ Abrams is directing episode 9 - because rian johnson will be busy with this trilogy
4) it sounds like there's a possibility this might end up being a lord of the rings style 3 films filmed at once (but no idea yet)
5) could be the old republic but they did say it would be about things unseen/untouched in the star wars universe up to this point - which is exciting too and im glad its being helmed by one of the best directors working at the moment (including writing)

so im well excited if you couldnt tell - i cant wait to find out what area/era this is going to be set in

- also in the announcement they announced a live action tv show which made me think its either going to be a bounty hunters/boba fett series or the old republic

i just loves star wars and any news that we are definitely getting new star wars stuff (that's different) is good news to me especially if its fresh content - i liked rogue one but i didnt think it was great (i thought there were some really interesting ideas but it wasnt quite the film it could have been), and maybe Solo will be good/great but its not a film im excited about conceptually - so the idea of new things around new periods of time with new characters in star wars and expanding the universe is an idea i can fully get behind - because if it's done well it makes the star wars universe that much bigger and even more inclusive

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
i literally shit a brick when i saw the news - it's being directed by rian johnson too which tells me a few things that are all pretty positive:

1) the last jedi is probably going to be a great film
2) rian johnson enjoyed working with them and the story group probably brought him in for a chat and said how would you like to work with us again and he said yes and they said here's a bunch of ideas - what do you think you could do for us... im glad that its not the next trilogy in the main saga - i like that they will probably let that saga breath for at least 4-5 years after episode IX
3) rather than rian johnson being tired of star wars, this is the reason that JJ Abrams is directing episode 9 - because rian johnson will be busy with this trilogy
4) it sounds like there's a possibility this might end up being a lord of the rings style 3 films filmed at once (but no idea yet)
5) could be the old republic but they did say it would be about things unseen/untouched in the star wars universe up to this point - which is exciting too and im glad its being helmed by one of the best directors working at the moment (including writing)

so im well excited if you couldnt tell - i cant wait to find out what area/era this is going to be set in

- also in the announcement they announced a live action tv show which made me think its either going to be a bounty hunters/boba fett series or the old republic

i just loves star wars and any news that we are definitely getting new star wars stuff (that's different) is good news to me especially if its fresh content - i liked rogue one but i didnt think it was great (i thought there were some really interesting ideas but it wasnt quite the film it could have been), and maybe Solo will be good/great but its not a film im excited about conceptually - so the idea of new things around new periods of time with new characters in star wars and expanding the universe is an idea i can fully get behind - because if it's done well it makes the star wars universe that much bigger and even more inclusive
I'm really excited too. Hope they do it right.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm really excited too. Hope they do it right.

i think the last jedi is going to be good - and it could be excellent
han solo supposedly has the best "star wars" script written according to reports (although it's gone through production hell) which is both promising and potentially worrying

if those 2 films hit then i have no worries about that rian johnson trilogy
and if dave filoni is part of the live action tv series then im not particularly worried about the series either