• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Whom Would You Draft @16?

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ya if Ridley and Mcglinchey are both available im going with Mcglinchey because of the lack of depth at the tackle position in this draft. Not only that but there will be options on rounds 2-3 at the reciever position who can give you similar production to Ridley. This raises Mikes value and lessens the value of Ridley in my eyes. Which in turn should change the way you set your draft board

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ya if Ridley and Mcglinchey are both available im going with Mcglinchey because of the lack of depth at the tackle position in this draft. Not only that but there will be options on rounds 2-3 at the reciever position who can give you similar production to Ridley. This raises Mikes value and lessens the value of Ridley in my eyes. Which in turn should change the way you set your draft board

i think you cant really take into account who you might be able to get later in the draft when making that pick in round 1 because you dont actually know who's going to be there when you pick you just know the odds of a particular position being there when you pick...

you adjust the values according to the strengths of the draft and your needs but when it comes down to it i dont see us elevating mcglinchey just because there's a lack of tackle depth and i dont see us lowering ridley just because there's some day 2 depth at receiver...

id be fine with either pick but using the rest of the draft class to justify one over the other again seems a little like overcomplicating things - what if there's a run on receivers between that starts in the mid-20s and cleans the board of receivers before pick 52 (which is extremely possible) - then we picked a guy we have rated lower just because there's more guys at the guy who's rated higher's position but then we look like fools because none of those guys made it to the pick...

both are positions of need and both are offensive players so we should just take the one who's rated higher on the board when it comes to pick between them be that mcglinchey or ridley

UKRaven

Practice Squad
i think you cant really take into account who you might be able to get later in the draft when making that pick in round 1 because you dont actually know who's going to be there when you pick you just know the odds of a particular position being there when you pick...

you adjust the values according to the strengths of the draft and your needs but when it comes down to it i dont see us elevating mcglinchey just because there's a lack of tackle depth and i dont see us lowering ridley just because there's some day 2 depth at receiver...

id be fine with either pick but using the rest of the draft class to justify one over the other again seems a little like overcomplicating things - what if there's a run on receivers between that starts in the mid-20s and cleans the board of receivers before pick 52 (which is extremely possible) - then we picked a guy we have rated lower just because there's more guys at the guy who's rated higher's position but then we look like fools because none of those guys made it to the pick...

both are positions of need and both are offensive players so we should just take the one who's rated higher on the board when it comes to pick between them be that mcglinchey or ridley

I do agree in terms of who you can get later in the rounds.

What I meant was, if I am drafting at 16 for us I don't have much between Ridley and McGlinchey...so in this scenario where they are two completely different players that fit needs, I see it as I'd go McGlinchey as the draft has depth at WR compared to tackle.

That's what I meant in terms of the edge for McGlinchey for me as I cant split them...If Ozzie and Eric have Ridley higher on the board then Im all in

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do agree in terms of who you can get later in the rounds.

What I meant was, if I am drafting at 16 for us I don't have much between Ridley and McGlinchey...so in this scenario where they are two completely different players that fit needs, I see it as I'd go McGlinchey as the draft has depth at WR compared to tackle.

That's what I meant in terms of the edge for McGlinchey for me as I cant split them...If Ozzie and Eric have Ridley higher on the board then Im all in

I understand what you were saying I just think that given they both fit needs there’s no need to hedge bets based on the rest of the class - but yeah if they have the same grade I guess that would become a factor in a tiebreaker type scenario - but with those 2 players on the board I think you just trust the board based off where they fit

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Most defintly and it gives us bookend tackles for the next 3 yrs. The RT position is undervalued cuz you got good edge rushers that come from that side and that's the side you normally run the ball. Also keeps Lewis in a versatile reserve role.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm with you in spirit but if both are there and if Ridley is rated only one slot higher, I'd say we're going Ridley.
Last year player out similarly; We might have taken Howard at sixteen(or Allen), particularly in light of a strong db class....a really strong one. But the Ravens pulled the trigger on Humphrey.

Honestly with the way things are now I really think we’re in line to take a WR in the first. I think the team could very well take an OG and if Isaiah Wynn is there I think he would get a hard look at. Outside of that I think DJ Moore or Calvin Ridley are guys we would probably pick at this point. There’s not a whole lot of guys you can reach on. I definitely think we would take a stud defensive player if he’s there but we might need some things to go our way for that to happen.

Like Decosta said, I honestly see a huge run in on defensive players and QBs prior to our pick. I think that will help us in the end.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this point I have no problem with taking Wynn at 16. Screw the idea that he’s not worth it there. He’s going to be a very good G in this league and having him on our line would make it worth while.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It is possible there is a glut of desirable prospects at sixteen. In a 1-15 mock I tried last night, we were left with at least these players:
Roquon Smith, McGlinchey, Ridley, Moore, Hernandez, Davenport, Josh Jackson....

Fairly ripe to trade down and more than a few targets someone might consider moving up to procure. Sure, you need the right offer (or AN offer), but I'm reminded that we received at least two offers to move down in last year's draft at the very same slot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It is possible there is a glut of desirable prospects at sixteen. In a 1-15 mock I tried last night, we were left with at least these players:
Roquon Smith, McGlinchey, Ridley, Moore, Hernandez, Davenport, Josh Jackson....

Fairly ripe to trade down and more than a few targets someone might consider moving up to procure. Sure, you need the right offer (or AN offer), but I'm reminded that we received at least two offers to move down in last year's draft at the very same slot.

Yeah I keep trying all sorts of different scenarios - trying to find out the worst case and working out if it’s even reasonable to expect the worst case

Last night I thought I’d cleared the board and given us a tough choice at 16 - then I realised tremaine Edmunds had fallen to 16 lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In fact based off this idea I just did a slightly unrealistic worst case type mock:

The choices at 16 are DJ Moore, Isaiah Wynn, either of the 2 defensive tackles (vea and Payne) and either of the 2 linebackers (roquan smith and Evans)

But on a positive note this is almost completely unrealistic as a mock - and there’s still options at 16 (albeit I’d imagine if these were the choices we’d try and leverage a trade down to a team looking for defensive tackle help/Lamar Jackson and wanting to jump ahead of the chargers)

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I keep trying all sorts of different scenarios - trying to find out the worst case and working out if it’s even reasonable to expect the worst case

Last night I thought I’d cleared the board and given us a tough choice at 16 - then I realised tremaine Edmunds had fallen to 16 lol

Yes please lol

The draft can't get here soon enough....

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don't remember hearing what Dallas offered to trade spots with us last year. The other team was San Francisco and their offer was kind of insulting. As I recall it was their 2(34) plus another 2 and a 3.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
With the strengths and depths of the draft class where they are this year I’d seriously consider that offer this year (or something similar)
Found out that I was mistaken. The offer from San Francisco was ... our 1 for their 2(34), a 3 and a fourth round pick.
Ozzie countered with us needing an additional three from them instead of the four and it fell through.

Seems to be growing buzz around Jackson. Even see one person mocking him to us. I really doubt it, but I'd kinda like to see him still be there to see what we'd do.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Seems to be growing buzz around Jackson. Even see one person mocking him to us. I really doubt it, but I'd kinda like to see him still be there to see what we'd do.
I really like Jackson as a player and certainly wouldn't be upset if he was drafted by the Ravens. That being said, I doubt we even have the opportunity, but I'd be chomping at the bit to swap picks with another team in the 1st, acquire additional day two picks and maybe if the trade down was far enough, land another 1st round pick next year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really like Jackson as a player and certainly wouldn't be upset if he was drafted by the Ravens. That being said, I doubt we even have the opportunity, but I'd be chomping at the bit to swap picks with another team in the 1st, acquire additional day two picks and maybe if the trade down was far enough, land another 1st round pick next year.

my only question on jackson in terms of the draft as a whole is how high does he go - because even before i finished the tape and realised id been overly critical of him id been kinda mocking him around the top 10 occasionally anyway - and now that ive finished my grade on him i dont think that's a ridiculous idea

does anyone else think jackson could go top 10?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
my only question on jackson in terms of the draft as a whole is how high does he go - because even before i finished the tape and realised id been overly critical of him id been kinda mocking him around the top 10 occasionally anyway - and now that ive finished my grade on him i dont think that's a ridiculous idea

does anyone else think jackson could go top 10?
there is no question, he could end up in the top 10. Especially if the Cardinals or Pats decide they have to trade up to get him.