• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Whom Would You Draft @16?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If they think Ozzie is letting one of the best players on our roster, who's also a Bama alum go, they are about to be disappointed. I understand what some are saying, though.

i understand that people want him to play better but its not like he's been mediocre his entire career - he's had some great games and seasons but underperformed in small stretches... i get being disappointed with how he finished down the stretch in 2017 but he also had some brilliant games in 2017 - he's shown he's one of the best middle linebackers in the league and i dont expect that to change given that even when he's "bad" he's not bad at all

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
There's probably no way that we let Mosley walk, but, at the same time, he seems to almost always be fighting some nagging injury. I don't think we should overpay just to keep him if he's rarely going to be close to 100%. That being said, an "average" Mosley is still better than a lot of linebackers in the league.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There's probably no way that we let Mosley walk, but, at the same time, he seems to almost always be fighting some nagging injury. I don't think we should overpay just to keep him if he's rarely going to be close to 100%. That being said, an "average" Mosley is still better than a lot of linebackers in the league.

that's kinda my point - he's fairly under-appreciated here for some reason - he's consistently good even when he's not at his best but when he is at his best he's as good as any inside linebacker in the league - we're spoilt if we cant appreciate how good he is and how important he is to how effectively we run the defence

and i wouldnt be surprised if this year's defence is tailored around his strengths (and the strengths of the rest of the linebacker corps too) given that Wink is now the DC

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's kinda my point - he's fairly under-appreciated here for some reason - he's consistently good even when he's not at his best but when he is at his best he's as good as any inside linebacker in the league - we're spoilt if we cant appreciate how good he is and how important he is to how effectively we run the defence

and i wouldnt be surprised if this year's defence is tailored around his strengths (and the strengths of the rest of the linebacker corps too) given that Wink is now the DC

I just think that Ravens fans, as a whole, are tired of seeing guys get overpaid and then not being able to get out of these "bad" contracts. Mosley is a great player when he's fully healthy, but he turns to "above average" when he's not, which has been more often than you would like to see from the centerpiece of the defense. I don't think we'll let him leave (I wouldn't be surprised to see an extension before this season TBH), but I just hope that we're not making him the highest paid LB in the league.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just think that Ravens fans, as a whole, are tired of seeing guys get overpaid and then not being able to get out of these "bad" contracts. Mosley is a great player when he's fully healthy, but he turns to "above average" when he's not, which has been more often than you would like to see from the centerpiece of the defense. I don't think we'll let him leave (I wouldn't be surprised to see an extension before this season TBH), but I just hope that we're not making him the highest paid LB in the league.

it just seems weird to me that we wouldnt want to pay him - like if we arent going to pay mosley then who on our roster is worth paying? there is risk inherent in almost any long term 2nd contract in the nfl because of the salary cap

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
it just seems weird to me that we wouldnt want to pay him - like if we arent going to pay mosley then who on our roster is worth paying? there is risk inherent in almost any long term 2nd contract in the nfl because of the salary cap

Fire everyone and start from scratch! /s lol

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I dont understand this attitude at all - CJ Mosley is one of the few players at his position on the Ravens who is legitimately one of the top talents in the league... He had a slightly disappointing 2nd half to the year - as did the entire defence - which if anything demonstrates just how important he is to the success of our defence moving forwards - he was victimised in man coverage at times but he has also shown that he can be one of the best zone coverage LBs in the league and he reads the game incredibly well - add to that the fact that the entire linebacker group disappointed last year and I really find it crazy that people have decided to start ragging on Mosley...

there's a reason he constantly gets All-pro votes - there's only 2 linebackers that are consistently voted ahead of him: bobby wagner and luke kuechly...

it would seem crazy that we as a fanbase get pissed when we let some players leave but would somehow be ok letting maybe the most important player on our defence go while he's still a young player...
I'm with you on this one 100%. Playing behind underperforming D line with nobody to speak of as a LB help in a defense confused by play calling too "clever" for its own good, can't be that easy.
Not giving Mosley a long term deal after paying run stuffing nose guard this much would be a fucking disgrace.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm with you on this one 100%. Playing behind underperforming D line with nobody to speak of as a LB help in a defense confused by play calling too "clever" for its own good, can't be that easy.
Not giving Mosley a long term deal after paying run stuffing nose guard this much would be a fucking disgrace.

exactly - everyone calling for these "bad contracts" to end are picking the wrong player to stop the buck at

redrum52

Hall of Famer
People keep bringing up the bad deals, but in 19-20 we have to flexibility to start really clearing up the situation. Cap should be fine and we'll also most likely be getting a lot younger. Yanda, Suggs and Weddle will all be retired/cut soon.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
People keep bringing up the bad deals, but in 19-20 we have to flexibility to start really clearing up the situation. Cap should be fine and we'll also most likely be getting a lot younger. Yanda, Suggs and Weddle will all be retired/cut soon.
Let’s not talk about Suggs retiring yet. I’m still getting over Ed and Ray retiring lmao I’ll miss Sizz too much.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, depressing.
There won't be much left worth watching...
Hopefully someone on this roster can be the next generational talent that gets me excited to watch this team.

Or at least a defense that puts fear into opponents again.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I dont understand this attitude at all - CJ Mosley is one of the few players at his position on the Ravens who is legitimately one of the top talents in the league... He had a slightly disappointing 2nd half to the year - as did the entire defence - which if anything demonstrates just how important he is to the success of our defence moving forwards - he was victimised in man coverage at times but he has also shown that he can be one of the best zone coverage LBs in the league and he reads the game incredibly well - add to that the fact that the entire linebacker group disappointed last year and I really find it crazy that people have decided to start ragging on Mosley...

there's a reason he constantly gets All-pro votes - there's only 2 linebackers that are consistently voted ahead of him: bobby wagner and luke kuechly...

it would seem crazy that we as a fanbase get pissed when we let some players leave but would somehow be ok letting maybe the most important player on our defence go while he's still a young player...
You're misunderstanding... the issue is th long term commitment, long history of playing through injuries, talking about a massive contract that would strap us likly for 5-6 years.

Mosley is undoubtedly one of the best, but his career might be pretty short

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hopefully someone on this roster can be the next generational talent that gets me excited to watch this team.

Or at least a defense that puts fear into opponents again.
This is why I'm fine with going defense in the first round this year if someone is there that's really worth the pick. The main three that come to mind are James, Payne, and Vea.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is why I'm fine with going defense in the first round this year if someone is there that's really worth the pick. The main three that come to mind are James, Payne, and Vea.
It’d be awesome to have Vea/Payne and Henry going at the QB from the interior.

Then maybe we would be able to trade Pierce or something. Not sure if he’d even have a sizable market though. Just a thought.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

James is my dream pick for the first round TBH. Dude is a beast and would be an instant difference maker on this defense that could be used in a bunch of different ways. I'd much rather get James than any offensive playmaker we could get (Ridley, Moore, Guice, etc.) especially when there should be solid offensive options in rounds 2-3.