• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 Baltimore Orioles

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The question now becomes will the Os be buyers or sellers at the deadline. I hope their buying, with the expanded playoffs this year they definitely have a chance. They don't need a Soto type of player but some one like Madison Baumgardner to bolster the rotation could go a long way.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The question now becomes will the Os be buyers or sellers at the deadline. I hope their buying, with the expanded playoffs this year they definitely have a chance. They don't need a Soto type of player but some one like Madison Baumgardner to bolster the rotation could go a long way.
I can't see them buying aggressive in "buying". If they do, it'll be for low risk signings and guys they can easily get away from after this season. Bumgarner has two years left on his deal after this year and no way I see the Orioles paying him $37M over the next two years.

I think its possible maybe they don't have the "firesale" people are thinking, but I don't actually believe they're actual like WS contenders at this point. Making the playoffs is all fine and good, but like they're going to be an underdog in any one game playoff for sure.

I'm certainly not giving up any critical farm system players for rented veterans at this point.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I agree with rmc. We're not quite ready to be buyers, as you said when we played the Yankees. I think next year will be when they potentially start looking around.

I think Trey is really the only option to be traded. Maybe Lopez, but he's also a guy you could keep since he has a few years of control left.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can't see them buying aggressive in "buying". If they do, it'll be for low risk signings and guys they can easily get away from after this season. Bumgarner has two years left on his deal after this year and no way I see the Orioles paying him $37M over the next two years.

I think its possible maybe they don't have the "firesale" people are thinking, but I don't actually believe they're actual like WS contenders at this point. Making the playoffs is all fine and good, but like they're going to be an underdog in any one game playoff for sure.

I'm certainly not giving up any critical farm system players for rented veterans at this point.
Yeah, I agree with rmc. We're not quite ready to be buyers, as you said when we played the Yankees. I think next year will be when they potentially start looking around.

I think Trey is really the only option to be traded. Maybe Lopez, but he's also a guy you could keep since he has a few years of control left.
I get where you guys are coming from but i gotta disagree. Only three games out of the wildcard , you gotta take the chance with a team that’s clearly gelled and playing with a lot of confidence. The pitching staff is over achieving and there are no guarantees they repeat that success. The O’s farm system is very good and they have a lot of talent they could trade to make big-time moves. Even snagging a guy like Luis Castillo from the Reds really moves the needle and helps them compete in another ultra competitive AL East.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I get where you guys are coming from but i gotta disagree. Only three games out of the wildcard , you gotta take the chance with a team that’s clearly gelled and playing with a lot of confidence. The pitching staff is over achieving and there are no guarantees they repeat that success. The O’s farm system is very good and they have a lot of talent they could trade to make big-time moves. Even snagging a guy like Luis Castillo from the Reds really moves the needle and helps them compete in another ultra competitive AL East.
well a) obviously I'm not buying that we're legit contenders and b) if I'm adding somebody of note or something that costs decent farm assets, like there better be guarantees I make the playoffs and that I probably at least win a series.

And that latter part is my issue. Short of being like a major buyer going after like a major pitcher or asset, I don't know what kind of acquisitions we're going to make that's going to vault us to be better than the Rays or the Blue Jays or Seattle or any of the other teams we're competing with for a spot. Winning the division ain't going to happen, and I wouldn't like our chances in a one game playoff or even a short series against most of the better teams in the AL.

And not to mention... any acquisition I make should be viewed as a long term acquisition, not a rental for just this year. This franchise is being built to be in the mold of the Astros, i.e. be competitive for like a decade straight.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
And not to mention... any acquisition I make should be viewed as a long term acquisition, not a rental for just this year. This franchise is being built to be in the mold of the Astros, i.e. be competitive for like a decade straight.
I totally get what your saying and agree to a point but the Astros are not the best example. They have one title and a tarnished reputation to show for it. The reports showed the Astros had a sudden and drastic improvement in terms of plate discipline. So clearly they were efficiently cheating. Their only title should have been vacated. They were also very heavy handed in free agency signing Verlander , Cole, Grienke , Giles.. etc.

Honestly the team their plying tonight is who theOs should try to mimic. Fantastic farm system and patient management. Buuuuut as a Rays fan my frustration comes from their refusal to make that extra signing to push them over the edge. A lot of great players over the last 5 years with nothing to show for it other than a playoff series win . I just hope the Os don’t waste a good opportunity while they’ve got it. I just don’t see the pitching staff duplicating this next year

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Red Sox are in last place…. Life is good

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I totally get what your saying and agree to a point but the Astros are not the best example. They have one title and a tarnished reputation to show for it. The reports showed the Astros had a sudden and drastic improvement in terms of plate discipline. So clearly they were efficiently cheating. Their only title should have been vacated. They were also very heavy handed in free agency signing Verlander , Cole, Grienke , Giles.. etc.

Honestly the team their plying tonight is who theOs should try to mimic. Fantastic farm system and patient management. Buuuuut as a Rays fan my frustration comes from their refusal to make that extra signing to push them over the edge. A lot of great players over the last 5 years with nothing to show for it other than a playoff series win . I just hope the Os don’t waste a good opportunity while they’ve got it. I just don’t see the pitching staff duplicating this next year
I think they're clearly the best example. Ignoring the fact that I put pretty much no stock in the whole "sign stealing" thing, largely because you'll find similar things done in about 25 MLB stadiums if you look hard enough, you're glossing over all of the other accomplishments and pretending like the measuring stick is "win a WS or you failed", which it clearly isn't.

3 World Series appearances, including one title, in 7 years is obviously a gigantic accomplishment.
Having won a division title in 4 of the last 5 years, with the outlier being the Covid-shortened seasoned, is a gigantic accomplishment. It'll be 5 of 6 after this season.
Having had a winning season for 7 of the last 8 seasons (including this year), with the outlier being the Covid-shortened season, is a gigantic accomplishment.

That's the bar to reach.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think they're clearly the best example. Ignoring the fact that I put pretty much no stock in the whole "sign stealing" thing, largely because you'll find similar things done in about 25 MLB stadiums if you look hard enough, you're glossing over all of the other accomplishments and pretending like the measuring stick is "win a WS or you failed", which it clearly isn't.

3 World Series appearances, including one title, in 7 years is obviously a gigantic accomplishment.
Having won a division title in 4 of the last 5 years, with the outlier being the Covid-shortened seasoned, is a gigantic accomplishment. It'll be 5 of 6 after this season.
Having had a winning season for 7 of the last 8 seasons (including this year), with the outlier being the Covid-shortened season, is a gigantic accomplishment.

That's the bar to reach.
There is no argument if you read the reports. Every team tries to get an advantage but the Astros drastic increase in plate discipline is unprecedented. You can try and wave it off but it’s simply ignorance and a disservice to baseball

And again the Astros were heavy free agency players

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
There is no argument if you read the reports. Every team tries to get an advantage but the Astros drastic increase in plate discipline is unprecedented. You can try and wave it off but it’s simply ignorance and a disservice to baseball

And again the Astros were heavy free agency players
Every contending team has a heavy free agency presence. That's what contenders do. They build up their farm system, churn out MLB players, then buy more when they're good. Every single contender not named Oakland or Tampa do that, and that's because they can't afford it.
Where did Altuve come from? Correa? Springer? Gurriel? Everybody does the same thing.

The drastic increase in plate discipline is great and wonderful and all. The argument falls flat when you look at 2019-2021 (and likely again in 2022), when you see three straight years of ALCS appearances and two WS appearances on a resume of team that had already stopped cheating by that point. And so I say to myself "well huh, it must not have been that significant".

It's not a disservice to baseball. Major League Baseball and its decades of hypocrisy is the disservice to baseball. Waiting until the money dried up to care about PED usage, because they're more interested in protecting the legacies of dead ball players than they are of growing the game. Juicing baseballs to re-boost revenue, then acting all stunned and outraged when hitters start stealing signs to counter for the fact that pitchers were rubbing Vaseline on baseballs for decades with no oversight.

Baseball did this to baseball. They deserve it all.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Every contending team has a heavy free agency presence. That's what contenders do.
Bingo, and that was my point from the get go. Os are clear contenders and signing the extra guy makes the difference
Baseball did this to baseball. They deserve it all.
Your wave tops Reddit argument misses the point and doesn’t do much for me, but that’s your prerogative man. Go for it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bingo, and that was my point from the get go. Os are clear contenders and signing the extra guy makes the difference

Your wave tops Reddit argument misses the point and doesn’t do much for me, but that’s your prerogative man. Go for it.
Right but the "extra guy" is going to be a mid-tier guy. They're not bringing in Rizzo or any notable player. Like even bringing in a Bumgarner I'd say is sort of trivial in my eyes, especially what you'd have to give up for him.

These contenders aren't bringing in just one guy. They're bringing in multiple guys, over multiple years, keeping some of them long term, and in some cases, paying them ridiculous extensions. You think the Orioles are in the ballpark of doing any of those things?

My argument doesn't miss the point. MLB has literally gone out of their way to encourage cheating for decades. Allowed it, promoted it, turned a blind eye to it, etc. There's nobody that can objectively deny that. So no, I'm not going to get all butthurt when team are like "fuck it, lets see what we can get away with". I view Houston stealing signs on the same level as Tom Brady deflating some footballs. It's just a way to get your name back in the news.

And yes, there will be no shortage of the "get off my lawn guys" who will pound their head into a wall talking about integrity, integrity, integrity. All well and good until its time to show it.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I view Houston stealing signs on the same level as Tom Brady deflating some footballs.
Lol The two aren’t even remotely comparable. Spygate? Sure , GOAT deflating footballs? Nope lol. But again whatever floats your boat homie

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
And yes, there will be no shortage of the "get off my lawn guys" who will pound their head into a wall talking about integrity, integrity, integrity. All well and good until its time to show it.
A disdain for cheating is a negative and makes you a “ get off my lawn guy”? I just thought that was being a good dude …well then please get off my lawn

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol The two aren’t even remotely comparable. Spygate? Sure , GOAT deflating footballs? Nope lol. But again whatever floats your boat homie
OK, Spygate it is then. Videotaping other teams practices decades was considered literally common NFL tactics. The public was just completely blind to it, so they only got outraged when they found out about it. Ignorance is bliss.

In a sport where drilling somebody in the back is considered "standard operating procedure" for a hitter taking 1.5 seconds to get down to first base after a home run than the pitcher would like, the morality/integrity aspect of the game falls flat when you talk about "oh my god they stole signs and then made a WS after they got caught". In my world, morals and integrity generally involve not intentionally harming other people who did nothing to warrant it.

But hey, that's "old school ball" as we spit our backy out.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
A disdain for cheating is a negative and makes you a “ get off my lawn guy”? I just thought that was being a good dude …well then please get off my lawn
No, people that refuse to grow with the game and pretend like showing up a pitcher is the worst thing since WWII and promote drilling guys in the back with heaters are "get off my lawn guys". As are the guys who think sign stealing is an apocalyptic event that warrants championship vacancy. It's aggressive hypocrisy towards the "integrity of the game" stance. A lot of these old guys are just making shit up as they go along and really never engaged their brain in any of it.

And they wonder why the sport is deviating so far away from them. Because people stopped valuing their thoughts on the game a long time ago.