• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rookie You're Most Concerned About - Potential Bust

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yes but his instinctive plays appear to all be shallow. Have saw little to nothing impressive about his instincts deeper he gets from line of scrimmage. Maybe he has and I missed it thus far
Fans:"we need to stop playing so far off the receivers! How do we stop 3rd and 5 when they're lined up 10 yards deep??? Fire pees we can't stop the quick pass!"

*drafts an incredible cover-2 prospect who dominates inside the 15 yard range, builds elite safety tandem to handle deep game*

"Why would you draft a corner who struggles on deep balls grrrrgrgrgrgrgr!"

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fans:"we need to stop playing so far off the receivers! How do we stop 3rd and 5 when they're lined up 10 yards deep??? Fire pees we can't stop the quick pass!"

*drafts an incredible cover-2 prospect who dominates inside the 15 yard range, builds elite safety tandem to handle deep game*

Also, I recall Jimmy struggling with the deep ball in his first couple of seasons....

We have possibly the best safety duo in the league to help out Humphrey while he tries to improve his game. On top of that, if he's jamming receivers at the line and our new pass rushers are getting to the QB then who cares about the deep ball? I'm really excited to see what Humphrey can bring to the defense.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

So when he defends 5 yard throws what happens when plays take him intermediate and deep? Will he get roasted like in college?? Or will we convert him to strong safety
[doublepost=1494623909,1494623846][/doublepost]
Which seems like he's a perfect fit for what we are trying to do so I fail to see how it's s knock on him that he excels at what he's going to be asked to do

What corner is kept within 10 yards los??

Tiz

Practice Squad
I think the Ravens should have all the tools for our corners to be successful. A pass rush and a strong safety duo.
I feel the same way
[doublepost=1494625451,1494625276][/doublepost]
So when he defends 5 yard throws what happens when plays take him intermediate and deep? Will he get roasted like in college?? Or will we convert him to strong safety

If he excels at bump coverage and our safeties excel at roaming deep then the next logical area to improve on is pass rush. If our corners are forced to cover deep or for long periods of time it means our pass rush is ineffective.

The issues we had with Brady were that he released the ball quickly not that he was waiting for WRs to get deep.

Your complaining because our corners strength match with what our defense wants to do. It makes no sense at all.

Ftr if you read the other post you quoted he talks about 15yrds. Why the need for you to exaggerate to being unable to cover 10 yards. Are you so desperate to be right that you completely change what is said?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I feel the same way
[doublepost=1494625451,1494625276][/doublepost]
If he excels at bump coverage and our safeties excel at roaming deep then the next logical area to improve on is pass rush. If our corners are forced to cover deep or for long periods of time it means our pass rush is ineffective.

The issues we had with Brady were that he released the ball quickly not that he was waiting for WRs to get deep.

Your complaining because our corners strength match with what our defense wants to do. It makes no sense at all.

Ftr if you read the other post you quoted he talks about 15yrds. Why the need for you to exaggerate to being unable to cover 10 yards. Are you so desperate to be right that you completely change what is said?

Is that what u read into that?? I was asking to convince me he can. Are you that desperate to believe he will be a great player?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

are you purplehorseman/winchester/pirate88? because you seem to be...

but its pretty simple here, you find pieces that fit the puzzle. teams will struggle to throw deep without play action, teams cant run effective play action without an effective run game, an elite run defense such as ours makes play action a non factor most of the time, we wont fall victim to play action because opposing offenses have no incentive to run it, theres a big portion of a deep attack that marlon humphrey doesnt have to worry about often.

WRs will struggle to get deep against press, WRs will struggle to get open deep against a great safety tandem, QBs will struggle to deliver a good deep ball with a pass rush in their face, WRs will not have the time to get open deep with a QB being harrassed. another big thing to make humphreys job easier, with guys like tim williams, matt judon, terrell suggs, tyus bowser, and potentially guys like wormley, urban, kaufusi, and correa bringing heat in the pass rush, this is something that is definitely plausible.

on the occasion that everything fails for us, and we generate no pressure, and our corners fail to press cover, we have great safety play which can take advantage of those deep throws and make plays on the ball, or at the very least, prevent a touchdown and live to fight another day.

humphrey is in the best situation he could find and for him to struggle he would literally need to be a garbage corner prospect, and he simply is not.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
are you purplehorseman/winchester/pirate88? because you seem to be...

but its pretty simple here, you find pieces that fit the puzzle. teams will struggle to throw deep without play action, teams cant run effective play action without an effective run game, an elite run defense such as ours makes play action a non factor most of the time, we wont fall victim to play action because opposing offenses have no incentive to run it, theres a big portion of a deep attack that marlon humphrey doesnt have to worry about often.

WRs will struggle to get deep against press, WRs will struggle to get open deep against a great safety tandem, QBs will struggle to deliver a good deep ball with a pass rush in their face, WRs will not have the time to get open deep with a QB being harrassed. another big thing to make humphreys job easier, with guys like tim williams, matt judon, terrell suggs, tyus bowser, and potentially guys like wormley, urban, kaufusi, and correa bringing heat in the pass rush, this is something that is definitely plausible.

on the occasion that everything fails for us, and we generate no pressure, and our corners fail to press cover, we have great safety play which can take advantage of those deep throws and make plays on the ball, or at the very least, prevent a touchdown and live to fight another day.

humphrey is in the best situation he could find and for him to struggle he would literally need to be a garbage corner prospect, and he simply is not.

Yes you may know me as Winchester. I started out as pirate 88. Didn't post from may-September with summer, vacations and stuff. Forgot the numbers on the name. So I changed it to Belichickdaughterugly. Mods gave me 1000 warning points and a ban. Dave(administrator) laughed and emailed me saying it was funny but it rubbed the mods wrong way. He couldn't find the numbers on pirate name so he gave me the name Winchester. And overturned the ban. I didn't really care about the ban I was like oh well no biggy. Couple days later I got the email from Dave.

Anyways for that bend but don't break role we didn't need to spend pick16 on a cornerback. Shoulda traded up for Lattimore.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yes you may know me as Winchester. I started out as pirate 88. Didn't post from may-September with summer, vacations and stuff. Forgot the numbers on the name. So I changed it to Belichickdaughterugly. Mods gave me 1000 warning points and a ban. Dave(administrator) laughed and emailed me saying it was funny but it rubbed the mods wrong way. He couldn't find the numbers on pirate name so he gave me the name Winchester. And overturned the ban. I didn't really care about the ban I was like oh well no biggy. Couple days later I got the email from Dave.

Anyways for that bend but don't break role we didn't need to spend pick16 on a cornerback. Shoulda traded up for Lattimore.
So sell the house for a corner with an injury history longer than webbs. Got it.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would have to say our first round pick. I did not really hear much about him, same with Perriman when he was picked up

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
So sell the house for a corner with an injury history longer than webbs. Got it.

Who said anything about selling the house? And injury history is no guarantee to carry over. Hell we took Stanley over Tunsil partially because durability. Stanley missed significant time. As far as talent there is no comparison Humphrey and Lattimore. Humphrey we need to draw him a line and tell him not to cross it because he will get roasted. So with what we are asking him to do he WILL be successful in several months correct?? I'll be looking forward to seeing him play.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I dont even know what that is, i've seen it mentioned though. I migrated here from BR.com

What is fwo??
Man, i was wondering what happened to you. good to hear from you again.[/QUOTE

You to bro!! Nice icon btw!! What u been up to?? I need hernia surgery. A little outa shape at the moment. Didn't watch much football this year cuz my mom was sick. I'm spoiling my nephews helping my gf study through college and working.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Who said anything about selling the house? And injury history is no guarantee to carry over. Hell we took Stanley over Tunsil partially because durability. Stanley missed significant time. As far as talent there is no comparison Humphrey and Lattimore. Humphrey we need to draw him a line and tell him not to cross it because he will get roasted. So with what we are asking him to do he WILL be successful in several months correct?? I'll be looking forward to seeing him play.
A somewhat significant trade up in the top half of the first is gonna come with a hefty price tag, yes, it's selling the house.

And so are you telling me that you weren't purplehorseman also?

Last edited:

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

You can say its no guarantee but by that logic its nothing but coincidence that Webb, Jimmy and Camp are hurt every year. Injury history is a thing and it matters and yes eventually you might luck into them not getting hurt but you cant bet your future on it or you will be disappointed most of the time.