• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rookie You're Most Concerned About - Potential Bust

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
A somewhat significant trade up in the top half of the first is gonna come with a hefty price tag, yes, it's selling the house.

And so are you telling me that you weren't purplehorseman also?

Nope, And I was not mocking you I'm saying I'm taking your word for it. I haven't watched much of Humph and our current cover schemes. I didn't watch much NFL this previous fall.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nope, And I was not mocking you I'm saying I'm taking your word for it. I haven't watched much of Humph and our current cover schemes. I didn't watch much NFL this previous fall.

Dude i think you need to relax. Humphrey has only 1 thing to work on and he's 20 and it's technique based. He's 20 years old . If he were 22-23 i'd be a lot more worried. he's going to be an excellent corner..it's easy to look at the big play issue but for me i look at the the total game and in many aspects he's the best corner in this draft. Once he sorts out his footwork ( it will happen) he'll be excellent.

Jimmy was a lot more stiff than he was and he was 23 when he played his first snap for us.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Call me optimistic, but I see upside to all of our picks and don't see any busts in the group, yet. Maybe after camp and pre season that view will change, but right now all seem to have the potential to provide help in areas of need.

The most raw player in the group would seem to be Eluemenor. While he has a lot learn he reminds a bit of Jared Gaither. Not as tall but still a huge, strong lineman who could end up providing valuable O line depth.

With all of the talent at safety it's going to be an uphill climb for Chuck Clark to make the roster. But it looks like he is a tough durable dude that could surprise and find a spot on STs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Oh ok lol. Well Humphrey shows a lot of good on film and the bad is fixable. He's the type that can line up 10 yards deep and prevent a 2 yard slant from being completed. He breaks on the play lightning fast and reads the throw before the qb winds up, he breaks up passes with hard hits and good hand/head placement. He comes in hard and scoops and drives for perfect form tackles, you simply can't throw screens to his side of the field because a wr simply can't block him and you aren't breaking his tackles.

He even has pass rush moves when assigned to blitz. I've seen plays on film where he legit handfights the OT and disrupts the pocket and the qb steps up, and Humphrey disengages with a spin move and chases the play upfield.

His hips sit a little high on his backpedal sometimes, it's a consistency thing there, and it leads to a bad turn which causes a stumble. His footwork when turning upfield is his only downfall and it's very fixable. In some ways he can be considered the best corner in the draft, nobody breaks On the ball like him, nobody reads the qb like him, nobody breaks up a pass or tackles like him. He doesn't press and mirror downfield like a lattimore, he's not as fluid and doesn't have the ball skills of a Sidney jones, but he has elite traits in his own way.
[doublepost=1494688350,1494688244][/doublepost]
Dude i think you need to relax. Humphrey has only 1 thing to work on and he's 20 and it's technique based. He's 20 years old . If he were 22-23 i'd be a lot more worried. he's going to be an excellent corner..it's easy to look at the big play issue but for me i look at the the total game and in many aspects he's the best corner in this draft. Once he sorts out his footwork ( it will happen) he'll be excellent.

Jimmy was a lot more stiff than he was and he was 23 when he played his first snap for us.
Wow. You have done a complete 180 on Humphrey and I've never seen you do that. You went from declaring him a bust, to "I guess he's not quite as bad as I first thought, he's ok", to this.

This is groundbreaking lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
if im honest i think the two guys most susceptible to bust are the edge rushers albeit im not sure they will - i just think that wormley's floor is as a basic rotational piece, humphrey will have ways of guaranteeing getting on the field even if he doesnt hit his ceiling, siragusa will definitely be useful as a backup and eluemunor and clark were picked with such low value picks that it's hard to call any day 3 pick a bust in all honesty

so while i dont think the edge guys will bust here are the reasons they are more likely than the other guys in my opinion:
-while williams seems to be beyond the off field stuff he also could regress back into old habits in extreme circumstances, maybe the lack of evidence of ability to play the run develops into an issue and maybe he really is a bit too small to be an impact player consistently
- maybe bowser's size and lack of edge rushing in college continue to affect him at the next level and he doesnt develop beyond his coverage ability so he could worst-case end up as a tweener who ends up not fitting the system

all that being said i dont see this as happening and i see it as much more likely that a guy like wormley underperforms (although he probably wont bust his way out of the league)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes you may know me as Winchester. I started out as pirate 88. Didn't post from may-September with summer, vacations and stuff. Forgot the numbers on the name. So I changed it to Belichickdaughterugly. Mods gave me 1000 warning points and a ban. Dave(administrator) laughed and emailed me saying it was funny but it rubbed the mods wrong way. He couldn't find the numbers on pirate name so he gave me the name Winchester. And overturned the ban. I didn't really care about the ban I was like oh well no biggy. Couple days later I got the email from Dave.

Anyways for that bend but don't break role we didn't need to spend pick16 on a cornerback. Shoulda traded up for Lattimore.
Would of cost way too much, especially one with an injury history like Lattimore.
[doublepost=1494689023,1494688891][/doublepost]
I would have to say our first round pick. I did not really hear much about him, same with Perriman when he was picked up
I watched a lot of his tape and he was my 2nd favorite cb prospect once Jones went down. Absolutely perfect fit for our system.
[doublepost=1494689105][/doublepost]
Who said anything about selling the house? And injury history is no guarantee to carry over. Hell we took Stanley over Tunsil partially because durability. Stanley missed significant time. As far as talent there is no comparison Humphrey and Lattimore. Humphrey we need to draw him a line and tell him not to cross it because he will get roasted. So with what we are asking him to do he WILL be successful in several months correct?? I'll be looking forward to seeing him play.
You said, trading up to take Lattimore. That would be selling the house.
[doublepost=1494689462][/doublepost]
Of course not if it woulda costed more than a 3

It would have costed more than a 3. And yes, I would take Humphrey before Lattimore because Lattimore's injury history is as concerning as can be. He's going to be like Amukamara or Clayborne.

According to the Trade value Chart it would cost a 3rd and a 5th, but teams wanted much more than the value chart to trade down

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Would of cost way too much, especially one with an injury history like Lattimore.
[doublepost=1494689023,1494688891][/doublepost]
I watched a lot of his tape and he was my 2nd favorite cb prospect once Jones went down. Absolutely perfect fit for our system.
[doublepost=1494689105][/doublepost]
You said, trading up to take Lattimore. That would be selling the house.
[doublepost=1494689462][/doublepost]

According to the Trade value Chart it would cost a 3rd and a 5th, but teams wanted much more than the value chart to trade down
I'm definitely not paying that for Lattimore when we're already screaming at Jimmy anytime he gets injured lol.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Sydney jones,lattimore, tabor,king all got better instincts than him bro. Like its not even close
thats just not true. sidney jones is a lot more reactionary, lattimore mirrors the wr but doesnt have his eye on the qb enough to be able to anticipate throws, tabor is just a joke, everytime he sees the wr make a cut he undercuts him and could care less about a double move, even a broken clock is right twice a day, ill give you des king, but thats it.

youre obviously mistaking instincts for something else

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I like Tabors instincts and feel for cover2. PFF thinks Humph is a safety. Even if he is eventually a safety I would prefer he works out his kinks at cornerback. working out his kinks at cornerback will make him that much more lethal if he ever plays safety. Similar to Ronnie Lott. A SS that can drop down and cover a Julio and Beckham like a top corner is freakish. Not heard of since Ronnie Lott a rare and all time great player.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
thats just not true. sidney jones is a lot more reactionary, lattimore mirrors the wr but doesnt have his eye on the qb enough to be able to anticipate throws, tabor is just a joke, everytime he sees the wr make a cut he undercuts him and could care less about a double move, even a broken clock is right twice a day, ill give you des king, but thats it.

youre obviously mistaking instincts for something else
I'll second that. One guy who had amazing instincts was Conley. Sucks that this story came up...

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think that it is way too early to call any of these cats a bust. I actually think that they are a good group. I think most of them will do well. Besides, sometimes, the cat that you think will be a bust turns out to be a beast and those whom you think will be beasts turn out to be busts. Let's just wait and see before we attempt to add that "bust" label on these guys.

Last edited:

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I think that it is way too early to call any of these cates a bust. I actually think that they are a good group. I think most of them will do well. Besides, sometimes, the cat that you think will be a bust turns out to be a beast and those whom you think will be beasts turn out to be busts. Let's just wait and see before we attempt to add that "bust" label on these guys.
Of course it is too early, but look at us, we can't stop thinking about our team and there is absolutely nothing happening in the present, so we have to dig into the future.

Humphrey won't bust, at the very least he's a great safety and we try again to find a corner.

I think the new Goose is gone within 2 years, he reminds me of Robert Myers.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Humphrey won't bust, at the very least he's a great safety and we try again to find a corner.

I think the new Goose is gone within 2 years, he reminds me of Robert Myers.
That was my initial thought until I saw better games by him. He was dominant against Wyoming and Houston. His San Jose st. Game had me wondering where is this beast everyone's talking about?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sydney jones,lattimore, tabor,king all got better instincts than him bro. Like its not even close
Have you seen Kings footwork. His technique is way off. He may be ok as a safety but I didn't want him at all, not tabor,

Humphreys instincts are off the chart.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I'm seeing a lot made of the poor deep ball play of Humphrey and I just want to clear a few things up.

If this were an issue of ball tracking, I'd have no problem agreeing that it's difficult to fix. However, Humphrey sees and locates the ball well... WHEN he actually turns his head.

The issue is sloppy footwork. Especially when lined in press, Humphrey takes too many false steps. He'll shuffle his feet and take a good two steps before actually making a move to the sideline to carry his man to the sideline. The result is that Humphrey is usually a full step behind the corner and doesn't really put himself in a position to even turn his head to locate the ball.

He's got great ball skills when he sees the ball; he just doesn't see the ball early enough.

Take away the false steps. Get a strong punch into the chest, push the receiver to the sideline, and begin to open your hips; don't sit there and shuffle your feet as you guide your man to the sideline.

To me, that's a fixable issue with reps. It's going to be a mental hurdle to get over a habit, but with work, he can do it.