• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rookie You're Most Concerned About - Potential Bust

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm seeing a lot made of the poor deep ball play of Humphrey and I just want to clear a few things up.

If this were an issue of ball tracking, I'd have no problem agreeing that it's difficult to fix. However, Humphrey sees and locates the ball well... WHEN he actually turns his head.

The issue is sloppy footwork. Especially when lined in press, Humphrey takes too many false steps. He'll shuffle his feet and take a good two steps before actually making a move to the sideline to carry his man to the sideline. The result is that Humphrey is usually a full step behind the corner and doesn't really put himself in a position to even turn his head to locate the ball.

He's got great ball skills when he sees the ball; he just doesn't see the ball early enough.

Take away the false steps. Get a strong punch into the chest, push the receiver to the sideline, and begin to open your hips; don't sit there and shuffle your feet as you guide your man to the sideline.

To me, that's a fixable issue with reps. It's going to be a mental hurdle to get over a habit, but with work, he can do it.
Good to see you on the boards Bird. Absolutely agree it's mainly a footwork issue, I saw this in his tape and I watched a ton of his tape. As the Seahawks GM he was my number 1 target, thought he fit them to a T. I didn't land him, but he was my target.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Good to see you on the boards Bird. Absolutely agree it's mainly a footwork issue, I saw this in his tape and I watched a ton of his tape. As the Seahawks GM he was my number 1 target, thought he fit them to a T. I didn't land him, but he was my target.
I think he fits the Ravens to a T, too. Pees loves to play Cover 2 and 3 and he's got the personnel now to effectively run it (Weddle and Jefferson/Bowser dropping into the flats and Humphrey, Jimmy, and Webb patrolling deep in a Cover 3? Yes please.)

I think Humphrey will be an awesome pro and he was my number one target for the Ravens. I remember getting something like 20 negs for mocking him to the Ravens and then he turned out to be the pick, so I was stoked.

If Humphrey can watch some Quincy Wilson tape and replicate his technique, he'll be golden.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think he fits the Ravens to a T, too. Pees loves to play Cover 2 and 3 and he's got the personnel now to effectively run it (Weddle and Jefferson/Bowser dropping into the flats and Humphrey, Jimmy, and Webb patrolling deep in a Cover 3? Yes please.)

I think Humphrey will be an awesome pro and he was my number one target for the Ravens. I remember getting something like 20 negs for mocking him to the Ravens and then he turned out to be the pick, so I was stoked.
Yes, I didn't mean for my last post to insinuate that he didn't fit us to a T as well. He plays great with the ball in front of him and we will have those looks in cover 2/3.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Yes, I didn't mean for my last post to insinuate that he didn't fit us to a T as well. He plays great with the ball in front of him and we will have those looks in cover 2/3.
I really think this was a perfect storm for the Ravens. They've needed DB's for a while, got one of the top three players at his position, AND he played for Alabama.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I really think this was a perfect storm for the Ravens. They've needed DB's for a while, got one of the top three players at his position, AND he played for Alabama.
I totally agree. Although my first choice was Hassan Reddick, I was psyched when we landed Humphrey and followed that up with Bowser. I almost flipped my lid when we were able to get TWill in the 3rd.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I totally agree. Although my first choice was Hassan Reddick, I was psyched when we landed Humphrey and followed that up with Bowser. I almost flipped my lid when we were able to get TWill in the 3rd.
I expected TWill in the third; just not to the Ravens. I think he's the best 3-4 OLB in the draft.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I expected TWill in the third; just not to the Ravens. I think he's the best 3-4 OLB in the draft.
Top two with me and maybe the best pure 3/4 OLB pass rusher in this draft class. If in time he can become a 3 down player, then there is no telling how good he can be. They didn't use him much on obvious running downs, but he has made plays behind the los and I feel he has the capability to set the edge.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Top two with me and maybe the best pure 3/4 OLB pass rusher in this draft class. If in time he can become a 3 down player, then there is no telling how good he can be. They didn't use him much on obvious running downs, but he has made plays behind the los and I feel he has the capability to set the edge.
I think he's a better run defender than given credit for and has some real strength behind him; it's just a matter of reps now.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I think Timmy Williams could play at about 250 lbs or so without losing athleticism. Good run defender already with really strong legs if you watch sports science segment. His upper body needs a little muscle for the NFL for sure. I mean he didn't participate in bench press for a reason. But it's no big deal really. Look at Stanley. ravens will definitely turn him into the 6'3 255 lb prototype. And his potential is all pro through the roof and then some. 20 sacks by his second year is very realistic.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I'm seeing a lot made of the poor deep ball play of Humphrey and I just want to clear a few things up.

If this were an issue of ball tracking, I'd have no problem agreeing that it's difficult to fix. However, Humphrey sees and locates the ball well... WHEN he actually turns his head.

The issue is sloppy footwork. Especially when lined in press, Humphrey takes too many false steps. He'll shuffle his feet and take a good two steps before actually making a move to the sideline to carry his man to the sideline. The result is that Humphrey is usually a full step behind the corner and doesn't really put himself in a position to even turn his head to locate the ball.

He's got great ball skills when he sees the ball; he just doesn't see the ball early enough.

Take away the false steps. Get a strong punch into the chest, push the receiver to the sideline, and begin to open your hips; don't sit there and shuffle your feet as you guide your man to the sideline.

To me, that's a fixable issue with reps. It's going to be a mental hurdle to get over a habit, but with work, he can do it.
This.
I hope everyone can read this post.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm more concerned that our coaches won't allow Tim Williams to do what he does best.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think Timmy Williams could play at about 250 lbs or so without losing athleticism. Good run defender already with really strong legs if you watch sports science segment. His upper body needs a little muscle for the NFL for sure. I mean he didn't participate in bench press for a reason. But it's no big deal really. Look at Stanley. ravens will definitely turn him into the 6'3 255 lb prototype. And his potential is all pro through the roof and then some. 20 sacks by his second year is very realistic.
i have seen sources say he played at 252 last year
[doublepost=1494901022,1494900954][/doublepost]
I'm more concerned that our coaches won't allow Tim Williams to do what he does best.
This is a concern I don't quite understand... we have never had an issue dialing up the pass rush, we have had an issue executing the pass rush.

Timmy will get his snaps to rush, and plenty of them

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
i have seen sources say he played at 252 last year
[doublepost=1494901022,1494900954][/doublepost]This is a concern I don't quite understand... we have never had an issue dialing up the pass rush, we have had an issue executing the pass rush.

Timmy will get his snaps to rush, and plenty of them
I am of the opinion he should be used in similar fashion to the way he was used at Alabama. My concern is that Harbaugh will sideline him until he rounds out the rest of his game, or can be, "trusted" on teams instead of cutting him loose in two minute situations and obvious passing instances.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I am of the opinion he should be used in similar fashion to the way he was used at Alabama. My concern is that Harbaugh will sideline him until he rounds out the rest of his game, or can be, "trusted" on teams instead of cutting him loose in two minute situations and obvious passing instances.
i just dont see it being an issue. zadarius smith got snaps as a rookie, judon got snaps as a rookie, kenneth dixon stepped in as a semi-starter in our 2 back system almost immediately when he got healthy. its not like harbaugh actually refuses to give rookies snaps, he may not give them a full starting role because often they shouldnt have one, and i agree that putting high value rookies on special teams is just stupid, but you cant dedicate 11 roster spots just to special teams.

i understand we seem to have trouble using wrs and tes right, but we give our young edge rushers snaps on the money downs. we cant even provide any proof that we dont use rookie edge rushers right because recently we havent had any young edge rushers, we've depended on suggs and dumervil since 2013 and when one of them goes down we've had: mclellan, upshaw, ZDS, and judon, of those 4 you can count 2 as rookies and they both got plenty of snaps. if we managed to get 6 sacks with zadarius smith as a rookie then i think thats concrete evidence that we use them right lol

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
okay...
Here is my bet. Marlon Humphrey = Carlos Rogers. Watched more and more tape and thats the guy he reminds me of the most.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
i just dont see it being an issue. zadarius smith got snaps as a rookie, judon got snaps as a rookie, kenneth dixon stepped in as a semi-starter in our 2 back system almost immediately when he got healthy. its not like harbaugh actually refuses to give rookies snaps, he may not give them a full starting role because often they shouldnt have one, and i agree that putting high value rookies on special teams is just stupid, but you cant dedicate 11 roster spots just to special teams.

i understand we seem to have trouble using wrs and tes right, but we give our young edge rushers snaps on the money downs. we cant even provide any proof that we dont use rookie edge rushers right because recently we havent had any young edge rushers, we've depended on suggs and dumervil since 2013 and when one of them goes down we've had: mclellan, upshaw, ZDS, and judon, of those 4 you can count 2 as rookies and they both got plenty of snaps. if we managed to get 6 sacks with zadarius smith as a rookie then i think thats concrete evidence that we use them right lol
I'm hoping that will be the case. I do remember us getting zero pressure off the edge last year and Judon was in sweats on the sideline. The rationale being that Harbaugh didn't "trust" him on special teams.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping that will be the case. I do remember us getting zero pressure off the edge last year and Judon was in sweats on the sideline. The rationale being that Harbaugh didn't "trust" him on special teams.
To be fair you're talking about a small school guy and those games were early in the year, and if I'm not mistaken Suggs and dumervil were healthy or playing at the time, just not producing. When those guys got sidelined Judon stepped in.

I can't blame them for playing Suggs and doom over a d2 rookie. This year we will likely see Judon getting a lot of reps and williams filling in where he fits. We don't have a guy like dumervil to take all the snaps this year

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
To be fair you're talking about a small school guy and those games were early in the year, and if I'm not mistaken Suggs and dumervil were healthy or playing at the time, just not producing. When those guys got sidelined Judon stepped in.

I can't blame them for playing Suggs and doom over a d2 rookie. This year we will likely see Judon getting a lot of reps and williams filling in where he fits. We don't have a guy like dumervil to take all the snaps this year

Doom actually didn't play until Week 4 against Oakland, but I'm sure Judon was only on the sidelines because we needed more depth at a different position. It also could have been misguided faith in ZDS making an impact...lol