• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the Ravens select with their first pick in the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Apparently bisciotti weighed in heavy on the Likely pick. Can’t remember where I heard it but it was said months before the draft that bisciotti was watching some guys and he singled out Likely saying he consistently looked like the fastest guy on the field and he was very high on him.
Is likely the one who looks like he runs funny?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

this article's been doing the rounds today and i think it just shows that there's a lot of GMs out there who learned about positional value and then stopped learning

EDC specifically talked today about how our analytics team (and we have a league-wide considered top 2 analytics department) thought that there was a market inefficiency in free agency and the draft with regards to safety and TE specifically where those positions are notably under-valued league-wide

he also talked about how too many teams value need too high - how they'll pick need over value

EDIT:
Matt adds the ben solak article he's referring to

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

this article's been doing the rounds today and i think it just shows that there's a lot of GMs out there who learned about positional value and then stopped learning

EDC specifically talked today about how our analytics team (and we have a league-wide considered top 2 analytics department) thought that there was a market inefficiency in free agency and the draft with regards to safety and TE specifically where those positions are notably under-valued league-wide

he also talked about how too many teams value need too high - how they'll pick need over value

EDIT:

i think if we wouldve never drafted hamilton, i think the story would be the other way around.. even people here used to say how safeties arent valuable

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

EDIT:

For those who are wondering what the GM/Exec. means with this analogy:
There are 6 ways to roll 7, but only 2 to roll 11. The Ravens are banking on low probability picks instead of higher probability picks -> according to the Exec. edc should've drafted a WR instead of Hamilton, Johnson instead of Linderbaum, a healthy player instead of Ojabo and not a NT in the 3rd.

Here's what they said:
“A lot depends on how you view Linderbaum, because it is beauty in the eye of the beholder with him,” an evaluator said. “There is not a great precedent of guys his size being great players in the league. He is very similar size-wise to Garrett Bradburry who just got his fifth-year option declined. Kyle Hamilton checked every box except for the athletic component.”

If there were large numbers of 6-4 college safeties failing in the NFL year after year, we would know with greater certainty height was a limiting factor. But few safeties that tall exist at any level. Does that mean the hit rate is far lower for them?

“I’m more bullish on Baltimore, but I can see the skepticism,” an exec said. “While I like a lot of the players they picked, the positions they focused on were kind of weird: strong safety, center, nose tackle, punter, two tight ends. Kyle Hamilton fell and probably for a reason. He is a weird shape, tall and slow. Linderbaum was highly rated, but he’s a center. Ojabo, they got a quote-unquote value pick there, but he might not play. Travis Jones, he is a guy that the analytics loved. His measurables were very good. But his tape was not.”

Trading Hollywood Brown, drafting zero receivers and loading up on tight ends could signal Baltimore doubling down on its run-heavy offense rather than trying to unlock a conventional passing game by surrounding Lamar Jackson with upgraded traditional receiving weaponry.

“They just stick so heavily to their board that if someone is higher than a wide receiver, they are definitely going to take that other person, but they might be a little slow in adjusting to positional importance,” an exec said.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
EDC is on the Lounge Podcast talking about the draft and there's a lot of really interesting nuggets:

• we weren't necessarily taking a WR at 14 albeit there was 1 we liked who would have been an option at 14 if he was there - but we did think that Olave might be there and that a team might try and trade up with us to come and get him - part of why the trade had to be kept secret was so that teams would be more interested in trading with us at 14 (rather than getting up ahead of us)
  • we can infer that hamilton and davis were the only players remaining on the board we would have happily taken at 14 - but hamilton was ahead on our board "and it wasn't even close quite honestly"
  • Ojabo "would have been" the pick at 14 if he'd been available - but doesn't think he would have been available - they were seemingly really fucking high on Ojabo lol (by the way EDC talked about him, it made him seem like he would have been rated higher than Hamilton on the board when healthy)
  • we got 3 guys that we would have taken with our 1st round pick back in December - linderbaum probably wouldnt have been taken at 14 when we finally got to the draft but they still think he's one of the best football players in the class
  • our analytics guys think safeties and tight ends are undervalued around the league - there's an inefficiency that we've been able to exploit
  • the idea of building a wall around lamar partly comes from Lamar himself - when he asked lamar how he could help him, that was what lamar pointed to
  • they had 35 names to get through the 4th round - they got the top 3 names on their list (which is corroborated by peter king's article that came out the other day)
  • very specifically said that he wasnt saying where Travis Jones was on our board - but his "approximation" was 36th/37th - was a great value pick at 76
  • when you rank the players you take need completely out of it (if you need to you can bring it back into play later on if grades are close) but when you stack the board you dont take need into account at all
  • thinks 8 of our 11 picks were great values - wouldnt get drawn into saying which of the guys was the best value albeit based on the way the conversation had gone earlier i think it's pretty clear that the biggest steals (as EDC saw them) would have been Hamilton, Ojabo or Jones: talked about Hamilton having no chance to be available at 14, talked about how Ojabo probably would have been the pick at 14 if he was healthy and talked about how teams made mistakes passing on Jones for needs elsewhere when there was a big gap between where he was valued and where he was picked
  • Jordan Stout was a case of “how late can we wait to make sure we get him”
  • EDC gave George Kokinis the project of finding the guys in day 3 at RB that had something to them and Badie was one of those guys - EDC loves his makeup
  • Just going to transcribe EDC’s thoughts on the guys in the building at WR: “i mean we see those guys everyday here in the building right? We see James, a lot of the times James is uncoverable... We see Devin, we see the speed and the toughness and the contact balance he runs with, and the hands. We saw Tylan this year on special teams, and then when he had a chance to make a play, he made a big play. And Tylan was a guy that before his injury, probably would have been, I don’t know, a 2nd round pick. So we’re excited about those guys.” He goes on to talk about how every team has needs in a salary cap environment but that we’ll continue to augment the roster.
  • And when talking about the draft and any future moves in free agency he talked (without using the words) about "right player, right price" - same ideas about value that have always run the offseason, will still run the offseason - was notable that he also talked about the opportunity cost of signing a vet now vs having the flexibility to trade for someone in-season
Yeah this goes with what I said before the Ojabo injury. I was convinced he was the guy DeCosta felt like we would pick.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i read this and was immediately filled with gratitude that EDC and Ozzie have been the only 2 GMs here

bengals process and thinking is a mess lol - a bunch of reaches, not trusting the process, going against their own philosophies about the draft, marrying themselves to need, getting emotional - they had Dax Hill fall to them and then panicked about the rest of the draft lol

i read this article and if i was a bengals fan, i would not take much confidence from it lol

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Thoughts? Not sure if this is true or just the hawks trying to make their fans feel better about Lock. If it is , The Steelers are in for a long couple a of years with Pickett and I love it.
Kenny Pickett's nightmares will soon be starring Marcus Peters and Kyle Hamilton. Co starring Ojabe and Oweh.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Thoughts? Not sure if this is true or just the hawks trying to make their fans feel better about Lock. If it is , The Steelers are in for a long couple a of years with Pickett and I love it.
I doubt it. He had a chance of being the second one off the board, but the NFL.com scouting report even mentions his lack of accuracy and inconsistency against good opponents.
Weaknesses
  • Frustrating inconsistencies with accuracy and touch
  • Fires fastballs on easy, short throws when changeup is needed
  • Arm thrower with truncated follow-through
  • Leaves ball behind his targets on crossers and slants
  • Drops arm slot, leading to batted passes
  • Requires more disciplined footwork from the pocket
  • Production falls off a cliff when forced to move his feet
  • Inconsistent squaring to throw when on the move
  • Poise and decision-making appear tied to level of pressure he sees
  • Drifts back and away from the rush and forces himself into low-percentage throws
  • Lamb-killer with just 14 TDs and 7 INTS against SEC opponents in 2018
  • Confused and unsteady against Alabama and Georgia with multiple turnovers
Honestly I'd happily take Pickett and Willis over Drew Lock, even if we're only comparing their college days.