• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the Ravens select with their first pick in the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think Marlon was a little (maybe) out of left field. Like he was on our radar but I don't think a lot of people expected to us to take him there.
Hindsight should have seen it from a mile away. He checked all the boxes of what Ravens look for in Corner play.
Agreed it was just more surprising than anything. People were overall happy once they thought about it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Marlon was a little (maybe) out of left field. Like he was on our radar but I don't think a lot of people expected to us to take him there.
Hindsight should have seen it from a mile away. He checked all the boxes of what Ravens look for in Corner play.

and was also a bama guy (just like the other guys everyone wanted us to pick if they didnt want marlon: OJ Howard, Jonathan Allen, Reuben Foster)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
well im not gonna rubbish the guy we just picked lol - even if i have a lower grade on him im gonna look for reasons to be excited even if i have questions or concerns about the prospect

it's like oweh - i actually didnt have him quite that high where we took him - but all through the process for the weeks before id said that if we took him id be hyped even though i had a slightly lower grade on him vs where we took him

like if we draft penning - im obviously gonna have reservations but im also gonna get excited about a 1st round tackle with guard versatility who's nasty and very athletic who's still got room to develop
I won't be excited about Penning. May be a fine pick long term, but if I'm picking in the top half of the draft, I'd like to get a playmaker early, and a LG who may turn into a long term RT isn't what I'd have in mind. If I'm picking that, he better be like Zach Martin-level good.

In a trade down into the 20s, then maybe I'd be happy about it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I won't be excited about Penning. May be a fine pick long term, but if I'm picking in the top half of the draft, I'd like to get a playmaker early, and a LG who may turn into a long term RT isn't what I'd have in mind. If I'm picking that, he better be like Zach Martin-level good.

In a trade down into the 20s, then maybe I'd be happy about it.

this is my point though - im not happy about it now - but if/when we draft him im gonna be looking at the film to tease out the "how he fits and how he makes us better" stuff as opposed to the pre-draft mode of grading guys to stack the board

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So does anymore trades happen tonight or tomorrow? Or will any remaining pre-draft trades be made Thursday Morning/Afternoon?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
People hated the Marlon pick lol? Why? Was he expected to go later?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Man I hated the Oweh pick btw. By the 3rd game I was enamored with him lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
People hated the Marlon pick lol? Why? Was he expected to go later?
Memories a little hazy, but from what I recall...
a) WR/pass catcher was a prime target for the fans. Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross (yikes) all went early.
b) I remember the pass rush talk. You had Reddick and Barnett right in that space. Both went before we picked.
Derek Barnett I remember vividly as being a prime "mock" target. I actually remember once he was taken at 14 a bunch of people suggesting we should trade back.

Turns out the first round pass rush class was kind of mediocre. Had Garrett at the top and TJ Watt at end of round 1, but the middle guys are just kind of "meh" at this point.
Was a pretty talent-heavy secondary first round. Jamal Adams, Lattimore, Marlon, TreDavious White, Jabril Peppers.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Memories a little hazy, but from what I recall...
a) WR/pass catcher was a prime target for the fans. Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross (yikes) all went early.
b) I remember the pass rush talk. You had Reddick and Barnett right in that space. Both went before we picked.
Derek Barnett I remember vividly as being a prime "mock" target. I actually remember once he was taken at 14 a bunch of people suggesting we should trade back.

Turns out the first round pass rush class was kind of mediocre. Had Garrett at the top and TJ Watt at end of round 1, but the middle guys are just kind of "meh" at this point.
Was a pretty talent-heavy secondary first round. Jamal Adams, Lattimore, Marlon, TreDavious White, Jabril Peppers.

i was devastated that malik hooker got taken the pick ahead of us lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
well im not gonna rubbish the guy we just picked lol - even if i have a lower grade on him im gonna look for reasons to be excited even if i have questions or concerns about the prospect

it's like oweh - i actually didnt have him quite that high where we took him - but all through the process for the weeks before id said that if we took him id be hyped even though i had a slightly lower grade on him vs where we took him

like if we draft penning - im obviously gonna have reservations but im also gonna get excited about a 1st round tackle with guard versatility who's nasty and very athletic who's still got room to develop
Yea but see you never really dislike any player so you dnt count lol

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So if we did make some calls about moving up, I imagine the players we are targeting would be...

- Kayvon
- Hamilton
- Stingley
- Gardner
- Ikem/Neal