• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Tyler Linderbaum

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not the guy I was expecting, not a typical Ravens OL in terms of frame and weight and length...

but...

he's a genuinely incredible athlete - he looks like a skill position player with the way he moves especially when getting downfield and working in space, he's a great pass protector and instantly upgrades the team

not someone i thought we'd take, and others i would have taken ahead of him - but there's no doubt he instantly adds value to this team

JAAM

Hall of Famer
@JAAM basically won round 1. Brother was CLAMORING for Linderbaum for quite some time.
Dude what an insane night lmao… I feel like the football gods showed mercy on me after missing on Z

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only thing I don’t get is, assuming he was the target, why did they trade to 26 and get behind the Cowboys who should have picked him?

marklar

Pro Bowler
Fits the athleticisim that the Ravens have been selecting early the last few years so it shouldn't be a surprise. But I was convinced they did not see center as a high-value position, but I was completely wrong there

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I gotta say, after sleeping on it and having the morning to think on it, im thrilled with linderbaum at 25. I’ll say again that at 14 I would’ve been fucking livid, but Tyler linderbaum at 25 and unloading Hollywood’s salary is such a beautiful two piece move that I never would’ve predicted.

I still listen to 105.7 because I drive a lot, and I am sick and tired of hearing “Eric decostas going into his fourth draft and only drafted one pro bowler” as if he hasn’t been BRILLIANT maneuvering both the draft and the cap.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I gotta say, after sleeping on it and having the morning to think on it, im thrilled with linderbaum at 25. I’ll say again that at 14 I would’ve been fucking livid, but Tyler linderbaum at 25 and unloading Hollywood’s salary is such a beautiful two piece move that I never would’ve predicted.

I still listen to 105.7 because I drive a lot, and I am sick and tired of hearing “Eric decostas going into his fourth draft and only drafted one pro bowler” as if he hasn’t been BRILLIANT maneuvering both the draft and the cap.

i said this when chad reuter had us trading down with the chiefs and we took booth and linderbaum - he's not my favourite but that was my favourite mock where we took linderbaum

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the other thing here is, i dont think that we're going to move away from power, but i think we're gonna see even more variety - we're gonna see more IZ and OZ as well

but in power/counter - it is so exciting to imagine the ravens running counter behind a pulling Linderbaum

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Can't say that I'm thrilled with it when JJ and Karlaftis were still available, but obviously they felt like Tyler was the best player available and are confident that he'll fit our scheme. Definitely not the type of player that we typically draft on the OL, but I can get behind it as long as it finally fixes our Center problem that we've honestly had ever since Birk retired after the SB (sure, we've had some decent Centers since then, but it hasn't been a super stabile position for us).

Also, we had some pretty great luck with a certain other Iowa player on the OL. Let's fucking do that again lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can't say that I'm thrilled with it when JJ and Karlaftis were still available, but obviously they felt like Tyler was the best player available and are confident that he'll fit our scheme. Definitely not the type of player that we typically draft on the OL, but I can get behind it as long as it finally fixes our Center problem that we've honestly had ever since Birk retired after the SB (sure, we've had some decent Centers since then, but it hasn't been a super stabile position for us).

Also, we had some pretty great luck with a certain other Iowa player on the OL. Let's fucking do that again lol

i guess the one upside to passing on JJ is...
there are equivalently athletic and toolsy edge guys in R2 and maybe even R3+R4 too in this draft

Linderbaum is unlike anyone we've seen - my frustration with him has always been about fit - he's a genuinely generational athlete at the position

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
To get the two critical positions filled with Day One starters and get the two guys rated highest at their positions within 25 first round picks is a sensational feat!

I've loved the idea of S for a couple years, but I really thought with Hamilton's size and ability to be in the middle of the field, a weakness for us, was a no brainer if he was still available. I'm really excited to see these guys on the field.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

It’s not our typical profile for an OL but our typical OL profile has failed miserably, the big physical guys have all flamed out. Stanley and mekari have probably been our best homegrown assets on the OL and both are considered far from being big and physical guys.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

JJ falling as far as he did makes me think that his hype train was outrageous. My initial thoughts on JJ were late first early second, my opinion skyrocketed when he crushed the senior bowl, maybe the initial draft stock was more accurate and we really shouldn’t have been so high on him to begin with.

That said, I’m upset we couldn’t land karlaftis there, felt like the perfect pick, even more upset he went to the chiefs because fucking of course

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
The tape they were showing of Linderbaum getting to the sideline and 15 yards upfield with blocks was impressive. And I love that he's a wrestler. Good old Kelly Gregg was small, but boy could he leverage guys way bigger than him. I can't wait to see him in action.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
JJ falling as far as he did makes me think that his hype train was outrageous. My initial thoughts on JJ were late first early second, my opinion skyrocketed when he crushed the senior bowl, maybe the initial draft stock was more accurate and we really shouldn’t have been so high on him to begin with.

That said, I’m upset we couldn’t land karlaftis there, felt like the perfect pick, even more upset he went to the chiefs because fucking of course

maybe i overreacted to the senior bowl with him and got carried away with how good his run defence was?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s not our typical profile for an OL but our typical OL profile has failed miserably, the big physical guys have all flamed out. Stanley and mekari have probably been our best homegrown assets on the OL and both are considered far from being big and physical guys.

that's a good point
but i think even more eye-opening beyond the weight stuff, is the arm length because Mekari has battled and has had very few issues overcoming his t-rex arms even at tackle - there are a few occasions on tape where Linderbaum gets beaten with length by big nose tackles (and a matchup vs someone big and long at nose tackle would still scare me)... but it's not often at all