• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Baltimore Orioles

O

OriolesMagicPlease

If they get rid of Buck and keep Dan, that is insanity.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
As the playoffs are taking shape, looks multiple former Orioles will have a chance at winning a World Series. Remember that graphic of how many former Browns players were playing in the Patriots/Falcons Super Bowl? I feel like you could make a similar list showing the former Orioles who are now playing in the MLB Post Season in 2018.

Brewers - Jonathan Schoop

Braves - Kevin Gausman, Darren O'Day, Brad Bach, Nick Markakis

Yankees - Zach Britton

Dodgers - Manny Machado

If they get rid of Buck and keep Dan, that is insanity.

Yep, because I feel if we made all these moves then we have to start over at both Manager and GM. Maybe it works, but I feel this rebuild should have started two years too late. All I want for 2019 is to see Adam Jones suit up in a Orioles Uniform next season.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
We all know how bad Chris Davis' contract was but this tidbit here is amazing.... there's $42M in deferred money that we owe him every year for 15 years starting in 2023 and ending in 2037. $2.8M per year for 15 years..... unbelievable.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
We all know how bad Chris Davis' contract was but this tidbit here is amazing.... there's $42M in deferred money that we owe him every year for 15 years starting in 2023 and ending in 2037. $2.8M per year for 15 years..... unbelievable.
Hopefully each year this will serve as a reminder to ownership to let qualified baseball people make baseball decisions.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Holy shit, that’s criminal.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
As the playoffs are taking shape, looks multiple former Orioles will have a chance at winning a World Series. Remember that graphic of how many former Browns players were playing in the Patriots/Falcons Super Bowl? I feel like you could make a similar list showing the former Orioles who are now playing in the MLB Post Season in 2018.

Brewers - Jonathan Schoop

Braves - Kevin Gausman, Darren O'Day, Brad Bach, Nick Markakis

Yankees - Zach Britton

Dodgers - Manny Machado

Yep, because I feel if we made all these moves then we have to start over at both Manager and GM. Maybe it works, but I feel this rebuild should have started two years too late. All I want for 2019 is to see Adam Jones suit up in a Orioles Uniform next season.

Well that was the 4 teams we dealt with so I'm glad for them

This was only done to ease the payments thru his playing years ......….but paying him thru 2037. Wowwww!!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
EBW was OK and really only inherited a great franchise from Jerold Hoffberger, Cashen and Dalton. Then of course Mr. Asbestos completely ruined what was one of the most consistent winners in MLB.
He may have inherited a great franchise, but kept thst franchisw consistent until the infamous 0-21 year or something like that. There was a time in he mid 80s where the lifetime head to head competition between the Yankees and Orioles favored the Os

Tank

Hall of Famer
He may have inherited a great franchise, but kept thst franchisw consistent until the infamous 0-21 year or something like that. There was a time in he mid 80s where the lifetime head to head competition between the Yankees and Orioles favored the Os
Yeah, no doubt. Much of the Orioles success from the sixties through the early 80s can be attributed to their great minor league system which constantly fed young talent into the team. They were the most consistent team in baseball during that time.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So I get we are paying Davis through 2037 but don't we have some kind of out where we can walk away from this deal? I mean don't Baseball contracts work similar to the NFL in that matter?

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
So I get we are paying Davis through 2037 but don't we have some kind of out where we can walk away from this deal? I mean don't Baseball contracts work similar to the NFL in that matter?
I thought baseball contracts are guaranteed. I am afraid we are stuck with Davis' contract.

O

OriolesMagicPlease

I thought baseball contracts are guaranteed. I am afraid we are stuck with Davis' contract.

We are. But I'm not going to pretend that I was so much smarter than the owners giving him that contract. I wanted to sign him at the time. Problem is we didn't sign Manny, Schoop, top notch pitchers, etc. So if you look at a team like the Yankees, a bad contract doesn't stop them. They just keep on trying to make their team better. We signed Davis and that was it. Oh yeah, and we traded away our best players for not much in return. So yes the Davis contract hurts and it sucks for sure, but that is not why we are losers.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Goodbye and thank you Buck!

buck-spirit-fingers.gif