• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Baltimore Orioles

O

OriolesMagicPlease

More good news, the Orioles announced they will hire someone from outside the organization
to be responsible for all baseball operations.

Here is the thing though. In theory this is GREAT, in fact the only real hope we have considering everything. This where my optimism wanes though, they only hire puppets. I hope I'm wrong about this. I want to be wrong about this!

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
Here is the thing though. In theory this is GREAT, in fact the only real hope we have considering everything. This where my optimism wanes though, they only hire puppets. I hope I'm wrong about this. I want to be wrong about this!
I can certainly understand how you feel based on decisions made the past several seasons. I am hoping with John and Lou in charge they will see what has led the franchise to it’s current status and be willing to take the necessary actions to remedy the situation. We will see what happens.

O

OriolesMagicPlease

I can certainly understand how you feel based on decisions made the past several seasons. I am hoping with John and Lou in charge they will see what has led the franchise to it’s current status and be willing to take the necessary actions to remedy the situation. We will see what happens.

This is why I feel the way I do: supposedly John and Louis have been already running the team. If that is true, it makes my heart hurt. :(

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Update on GM Search as of November 6th:

Astros assistant GM Mike Elias is seen as a top potential candidate to run things in Baltimore, per MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand (via Twitter). He was boosted to an AGM role under Jeff Luhnow after David Stearns left Houston to run the Brewers’ baseball ops department. Elias is said to focus on player intake, including the draft and international amateur market.

Phillies assistant GM Ned Rice, whose roots are in the Orioles organization, has taken an interview. Likewise, John Angelos (who’s said to be running the process) has chatted with Tigers AGM David Chadd.

Blue Jays baseball ops VP Ben Cherington, former Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, assistant general manager for the Oakland A’s Dan Kantrovitz

Two of those men have experience at the helm of other organizations. Cherington, the former Red Sox GM, has previously expressed interest in building an organization from scratch, and the Orioles would certainly check that box. Colletti, meanwhile, has been in “consistent contact” with Orioles ownership. Way back on October 5th it was reported that Colletti had met with Orioles president John Angelos during the summer – but that meeting was before Duquette had been let go, and it remains unclear if Colletti’s discussions with ownership are at all related to a possible candidacy.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Bob Nightengale: Houston #Astros assistant GM Mike Elias, barring a sudden change of heart,will be the new GM of the Baltimore #Orioles

Seems like a good hire (hopefully they make it official soon).

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
Bob Nightengale: Houston #Astros assistant GM Mike Elias, barring a sudden change of heart,will be the new GM of the Baltimore #Orioles

Seems like a good hire (hopefully they make it official soon).
It appears the Angelos brothers are moving in the right direction. Mike Elias was an integral part of the Astros rebuild.
It is rumored that sabermetrics analyst Sig Mejdal will be joining Elias. It will be interesting how the offseason proceeds
for the Orioles.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
It appears the Angelos brothers are moving in the right direction. Mike Elias was an integral part of the Astros rebuild.
It is rumored that sabermetrics analyst Sig Mejdal will be joining Elias. It will be interesting how the offseason proceeds
for the Orioles.

I just hope his first order of business is getting Adam Jones back under contract so he can retire a Oriole like he has earned the right to do.

O

OriolesMagicPlease

I just hope his first order of business is getting Adam Jones back under contract so he can retire a Oriole like he has earned the right to do.

I do not like the way they treated him at all.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Elias has officially been hired. Executive VP and GM and he'll have full autonomy. The press conference will be on Monday. Per Roch Kubatko's twitter.

WOOHOO!!!

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Elias has officially been hired. Executive VP and GM and he'll have full autonomy. The press conference will be on Monday. Per Roch Kubatko's twitter.

WOOHOO!!!

Like you I'm highly ecstatic. Hope we get a nice number 1 pick like the Astros did with Carlos Correa which was the start of their turnaround. Wonder who the HC will be?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Like you I'm highly ecstatic. Hope we get a nice number 1 pick like the Astros did with Carlos Correa which was the start of their turnaround. Wonder who the HC will be?
Don't know who the manager will be yet, but the Astros bench coach, Joe Espada, will probably be one of the candidates now that we have Elias. I've heard he's had a couple interviews with other teams for the manager position.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
for the Orioles.
Mejdal hired as Assistant GM. I'm really excited for the rebuild now.