• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Rumors/team draft visits

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I've seen a fair amount of drops from Gallup and Miller too. Honestly apart from Ridley no receiver inspires me confidence with their hands. It's something we'll have to live with.
And again, I'm not defending a choice I would disapprove but I wouldn't be that shocked if Hamilton goes in the second because he too can be productive from day one.
They have focus drops but are still natural hands catchers, they pluck it and secure it. Hamilton bobbles seemingly every pass, same with Chark.

In the NFL, I'll take a guy with good natural hands but the occasional focus drop, over a guy who may "drop less" but look consistently shaky when catching. With the pressure of the NFL and how much more tightly contested passes are in the NFL those bobbles become drops frequently.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You probably haven't realized but a lot of draft analysts are very high on him. Since his breakout Senior Bowl they all have him in the third and wouldn't be shocked if he goes higher. Would I agree? No. But don't act like it would be the most crazy thing to happen on draft day.

It wouldn’t be crazy for him to go early - but it would be crazy for him to go early to the Ravens given the emphasis we are putting on being able to catch

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
They have focus drops but are still natural hands catchers, they pluck it and secure it. Hamilton bobbles seemingly every pass, same with Chark.

In the NFL, I'll take a guy with good natural hands but the occasional focus drop, over a guy who may "drop less" but look consistently shaky when catching. With the pressure of the NFL and how much more tightly contested passes are in the NFL those bobbles become drops frequently.
This is an endless debate, and my original point was completely different from what is discussed here. But I just want to say that in general I don't think drops is a factor that translates in the league. Some guys that caught everything in college become stone handed when they catch passes from cannon-armed NFL QBs. And guys can have bad hands entering the league but work on it like Maclin did.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Rapsheet reporting that Lamar Jackson is coming in for a pre-draft visit and presumably a workout too
either more smokescreening based on the media narrative or we really are serious about taking him

that being said the more i look at the whole situation the more i see absolutely no way jackson is available at 16

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Rapsheet reporting that Lamar Jackson is coming in for a pre-draft visit and presumably a workout too
either more smokescreening based on the media narrative or we really are serious about taking him

that being said the more i look at the whole situation the more i see absolutely no way jackson is available at 16
It was known since last week that he was coming (that's actually when all the draft analysts said «oh I could see that happening»)
Could be anything, honestly Ozzie has done a wonderful job not allowing me to know anything about what he wants.
I swear he could draft Braxton Berrios in the first I wouldn't be shocked.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It was known since last week that he was coming (that's actually when all the draft analysts said «oh I could see that happening»)
Could be anything, honestly Ozzie has done a wonderful job not allowing me to know anything about what he wants.

haha that would be the greatest send off of any GM's career - begins his career with 2 HOFers and then trolls everyone with his last 1st round pick

JO_75

Hall of Famer

We probably do have legit interest in Lamar but this is also a way to entice the Bills(if they don't trade up for a QB sooner) at 22 and the Patriots at 23 in a trade up scenario.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

We probably do have legit interest in Lamar but this is also a way to entice the Bills(if they don't trade up for a QB sooner) at 22 and the Patriots at 23 in a trade up scenario.

He also had dinner with the Bengals yesterday. I think they all want to check his mental ability. We probably won't draft him. If Ozzie drafts a Qb high he'll handle it like the Bears last year with Trubisky.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
He also had dinner with the Bengals yesterday. I think they all want to check his mental ability. We probably won't draft him. If Ozzie drafts a Qb high he'll handle it like the Bears last year with Trubisky.
You have the right to not like Ozzie but don't compare him to Ryan Pace

rossihunter2

Staff Member

um what? the ravens situation bares no resemblance to the bears situation from last year...
trubisky was coming in with mike glennon as the presumptive starter who they just paid a crap ton of money to and then put no support system around for either of them

there's virtually no similarities beyond the basic idea of taking a qb in the first round... and that would be it

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
You have the right to not like Ozzie but don't compare him to Ryan Pace
??? I've never said I don't like Ozzie. What's wrong with Paces approach? They made sure nobody knew about their interest in Trubisky(hidden workout and dinner). That's what I meant and not the Glennon contract or anything else.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
??? I've never said I don't like Ozzie. What's wrong with Paces approach? They made sure nobody knew about their interest in Trubisky(hidden workout and dinner). That's what I meant and not the Glennon contract or anything else.

but its not like that this year either because if the ravens are interested in qbs it certainly is not hidden at all - if anything its so loud that they could well be double bluffing a smokescreen when they are interested for real lol

its like the exact opposite approach

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Only problem with that is Pace was the only one who knew. He never even told John Fox the plan as he was worried Fox would spoil their interest in him to the media leading up to the draft. That was a tell tale sign they didn't have a good relationship.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
but its not like that this year either because if the ravens are interested in qbs it certainly is not hidden at all - if anything its so loud that they could well be double bluffing a smokescreen when they are interested for real lol

its like the exact opposite approach
Look what they've done so far. They only bring/brought in Jackson and Benkert. If you're really interested in a QB you'll arrange more private visits or workouts. Ozzie's a master in this game. He knows how to hide interest. The Bears had private workouts with Mahomes and Watson and there was also talk of them taking a QB early. Pace was smart enough to hide the Bears interest in Trubisky. It was well placed in between other teams visits, it basically got lost in the shuffle.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Look what they've done so far. They only bring/brought in Jackson and Benkert. If you're really interested in a QB you'll arrange more private visits or workouts. Ozzie's a master in this game. He knows how to hide interest. The Bears had private workouts with Mahomes and Watson and there was also talk of them taking a QB early. Pace was smart enough to hide the Bears interest in Trubisky. It was well placed in between other teams visits, it basically got lost in the shuffle.

i mean to be fair 4 of the qbs are completely out of reach so that's a 3rd of the draftable class that we dont need to interview and could still feasibly be interested in the position group and the 12th guy ive got as draftable isnt really draftable as a qb (JT Barrett) - so we've interviewed/brought in more than a quarter of the feasible draft class... that's not exactly putting us that under the radar

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Lol sorry didn't intend to be rude, just that I don't particularly like Pace as a GM and I thought you were talking about the whole Glennon thing as you said.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol sorry didn't intend to be rude, just that I don't particularly like Pace as a GM and I thought you were talking about the whole Glennon thing as you said.
Ok got you, that explains your choice to fix the bears in the FF Mock draft ;)