• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Jets

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Joe Klecko is visiting MetLife Stadium today. He's a finalist for the HOF. Drafted in the 6th round in 1977. He made the pro bowl at DE, DT, and NT. In 1981, before the NFL was recording sacks as an actual statistic, Joe Klecko had 20.5 sacks as a NT in a 3-4 base.

Sorry this is off topic but I've been a Jets fan all my life and I just felt like telling you guys......
I watched Klecko play for his entire career. He was a man beast.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
I watched Klecko play for his entire career. He was a man beast.
Straight up! I'm so happy to see him finally getting recognized for how truly great he was. He was a victim of his own success. He could never get into the HOF because he was so versatile and played every position on the DL.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Straight up! I'm so happy to see him finally getting recognized for how truly great he was. He was a victim of his own success. He could never get into the HOF because he was so versatile and played every position on the DL.
Joe Jacoby, the LT for the Hogs should be in the HOF as well. No way he shouldn't be.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
BTW, just paying some respect to LJ. It takes a real man to handle his contract situation the way he has. He's a consumate team player....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
BTW, just paying some respect to LJ. It takes a real man to handle his contract situation the way he has. He's a consumate team player....
that he is and another reason why he will be extended.

most of these people telling Lamar he should hold out are former players.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Simply said, the Jets defense played well. I think if we'd been told before last Sundays game that the Jets held the Ravens to a total of 68 yards, we would have all assumed the Jets won in a blowout. I think Ulbrich needs to possibly make a change at Safety? LaMarcus Joyner was terrible. Needs to close that big play 40+ yard gap that occurred in the game but other than that the Jets defense matched the Ravens physicality and held them in check all day. When other teams play the Ravens they'll be looking at the Jets game tape as the blueprint for keeping the Ravens running game in check.

The offense was fucking atrocious. It starts with the OL. George Fant and Leken Tomlinson were horrible, a couple of turnstiles. But beyond that, JOE FLACCO is washed up. He's a stiff, a GD statue in the pocket. He is not mobile in any way. I like what he did for you guys but the game has passed him by. Small bright spots was Max Mitchell played surprisingly OK. Gave up 3 pressures all day. Garrett Wilson looks very talented and I'm pissed Lafleur didn't utilize him enough.

And that's really about it. The Jets cannot possibly think they'll win games when only the defense puts forth a decent effort. Way too many unforced errors between Flacco missing receivers, receivers dropping passes, receivers fumbling, Breece Hall fumbling, you'll never win that way. The Jets haven't won a September game since Sam Darnolds first game in the league against the Detroit Lions back in 2018.

So I give credit to the Ravens. Despite them being dominated for the most part, they are a good, veteran team that found a way to win. It was unorthodox but it worked.....

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
dominated???
1663252399190.png

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Simply said, the Jets defense played well. I think if we'd been told before last Sundays game that the Jets held the Ravens to a total of 68 yards, we would have all assumed the Jets won in a blowout. I think Ulbrich needs to possibly make a change at Safety? LaMarcus Joyner was terrible. Needs to close that big play 40+ yard gap that occurred in the game but other than that the Jets defense matched the Ravens physicality and held them in check all day. When other teams play the Ravens they'll be looking at the Jets game tape as the blueprint for keeping the Ravens running game in check.

The offense was fucking atrocious. It starts with the OL. George Fant and Leken Tomlinson were horrible, a couple of turnstiles. But beyond that, JOE FLACCO is washed up. He's a stiff, a GD statue in the pocket. He is not mobile in any way. I like what he did for you guys but the game has passed him by. Small bright spots was Max Mitchell played surprisingly OK. Gave up 3 pressures all day. Garrett Wilson looks very talented and I'm pissed Lafleur didn't utilize him enough.

And that's really about it. The Jets cannot possibly think they'll win games when only the defense puts forth a decent effort. Way too many unforced errors between Flacco missing receivers, receivers dropping passes, receivers fumbling, Breece Hall fumbling, you'll never win that way. The Jets haven't won a September game since Sam Darnolds first game in the league against the Detroit Lions back in 2018.

So I give credit to the Ravens. Despite them being dominated for the most part, they are a good, veteran team that found a way to win. It was unorthodox but it worked.....
If the WRs didn’t let him down he could of had 2TDs and 0INTs

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Truly terrible take here. This whole game can be summed up decently objectively this way. The Jets have a lot of young talent at most positions. For week 1 specifically they also had a banged up OL and the ghost of Joe Flacco at QB. They played admirably on defense for precisely 1 half of the game. They played awful on offense the entire game.

The Ravens came out slow as they tried to go to their run first philosophy despite the fact they still didn't have Stanley, Boyle, Dobbins or Gus. Additionally none of the starters got any preseason snaps. So some 2nd string rusty players were running into a stacked box. Shocking that didn't work right? Then the Ravens as a good and veteran team adjusted at half time and carved the Jets up through the air.

The second half told you everything you need to know. The Jets are talented but young an inexperienced. The Ravens are simply better its not close. The Jets are trending upward but to say dominated is just so laughable it's ridiculous

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Truly terrible take here. This whole game can be summed up decently objectively this way. The Jets have a lot of young talent at most positions. For week 1 specifically they also had a banged up OL and the ghost of Joe Flacco at QB. They played admirably on defense for precisely 1 half of the game. They played awful on offense the entire game.

The Ravens came out slow as they tried to go to their run first philosophy despite the fact they still didn't have Stanley, Boyle, Dobbins or Gus. Additionally none of the starters got any preseason snaps. So some 2nd string rusty players were running into a stacked box. Shocking that didn't work right? Then the Ravens as a good and veteran team adjusted at half time and carved the Jets up through the air.

The second half told you everything you need to know. The Jets are talented but young an inexperienced. The Ravens are simply better its not close. The Jets are trending upward but to say dominated is just so laughable it's ridiculous

they had 1 player who dominated in quinnen williams and he was mostly taken out of the game after he got some pressure early

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

they were far far far from dominated. They needed to sell out to stop the run and we took advantage of it. Only reason it took so long as many of the Ravens hadn't played in the preseason at all so we needed to knock some rust off.

BTW, does our defense get any credit for how bad your offense looked?

Dominated. Think you need new lenses on those glasses bud.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
dominated???
Well, call it whatever you want. You guys won so you can call it whatever pleases you the most. I just know the Jets defense took the Ravens completely out of their element. LJ had to resort to things he's pretty much never done before to win the game. I give him credit, he met the challenge.....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
If the WRs didn’t let him down he could of had 2TDs and 0INTs
If Joe Flacco didn't let the Jets team down they could've won. My point is I'm not into coulda, shoulda, woulda. The Ravens were too much for an offense that never made it past square one.

Mainejet

Practice Squad

The Ravens gained a total of 114 yards in the first half and 170 something yards in the second half. The Ravens pretty much won that game based on 3 big passing plays. LJ completed 56% of his passes and had an overall QB rating of 65.5. LJ typically has a QB rating of 98.1 and completes 64% of his passes normally. LJ averages 63.9 yards per game on the ground for his career. The Ravens, as a team, gained a total of 68 yards rushing against the Jets.

So when you say the Ravens carved them up through the air in the 2nd half? Well, I don't know what you were watching but the Ravens were taken completely out of their element and comfort zone. That was as plain as day to see.

The Ravens gained 274 of total offense. The Jets had 380. The Jets had 24 1st downs against the Ravens. The Ravens had 13. The Jets won the time of possession. The idea that the Ravens carved up the Jets in the 2nd half is silly.

The Jets could not ultimately score points in the game and that's a credit to the Ravens for playing bend but don't break defense. But by every measure besides turnovers (and that's also huge) and points, the Jets won.

The Jets problem for more than a decade now has always been the following:

1) They're notoriously slow starters. They've routinely taken 1/3 of the game before they finally start scoring points. Against the Ravens was no exception as they managed their first points just before half.

2) They NEVER generate turnovers. The Jets offense coughed up the ball twice. The Ravens, if my memory serves me correctly, fumbled at least once and they managed to recover their fumble. But just the same the Jets still lost the turnover battle. There's no way you'll beat the Ravens if you lose the turnover battle......