• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, The Running Game and The When Will these Injuries ever end?

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
OK, so why is there no mention yet of the absolute shocker Isaiah Likely pulled on Sunday?

I was not happy with his play. Some of those drops early where bad passes to be fair. Still had holding calls against him.

I chalk it up to rookie shit and Lamar not being to familiar with him/conditions early not being ideal.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know nobody cares because it's special teams but...
Justice Hill might be even better than he was pre-injury... he's so explosive and physical as a gunner and with Stout getting so much hang-time on some of these bombs there's a reason there were a bunch of fair-catches from the jets in the 1st half

I said it already in the game thread, but Stout is going to be a weapon for us. The Jets had so many drives on Sunday that started with really bad field position and having to go 80+ yards every time against our defense is just not sustainable. Stout is going to help our defense tremendously in those games that our offense struggles to get going.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

just starting on the all-22 now and it's already so clear especially with Queen lining up late that it creates so many issues for the OL
Cole's talking about scheming up free rushers but for me it's more about those 1v1s and trusting your guy to win their matchup and creating opportunities for them to win their matchup and not just leaving the entire play in the hands of the schemed pressure creating a free rusher

queen's game was so exciting - dominating in multiple rush/blitz reps, play recognition/diagnosis was sped up massively vs last year, much more disciplined and had 1 obvious mistake and 1 coverage snap where he got beat but otherwise was assured and dominant and much better in coverage than in the past

@RavensMania - i know you've got PFF... how did they grade Queen on Sunday? just wanna see something lol...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

just starting on the all-22 now and it's already so clear especially with Queen lining up late that it creates so many issues for the OL
Cole's talking about scheming up free rushers but for me it's more about those 1v1s and trusting your guy to win their matchup and creating opportunities for them to win their matchup and not just leaving the entire play in the hands of the schemed pressure creating a free rusher

queen's game was so exciting - dominating in multiple rush/blitz reps, play recognition/diagnosis was sped up massively vs last year, much more disciplined and had 1 obvious mistake and 1 coverage snap where he got beat but otherwise was assured and dominant and much better in coverage than in the past

@RavensMania - i know you've got PFF... how did they grade Queen on Sunday? just wanna see something lol...

PFF screwed Queen. They gave him an overall rating of 53.8. 60 is considered average and 70 is above average. He was in on 84 total snaps.

Run D he was graded out as 55.4 (18 snaps)
Tackling he was 45.3 (had him with 2 missed tackles)
Pressure he was 63.2 (13 snaps)
Coverage he was 53.1 (53 snaps)

Last yr Queen graded out as 35.1 in coverage so it is an improvement, but I believe it's a much bigger improvement than PFF graded it out to be.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
PFF screwed Queen. They gave him an overall rating of 53.8. 60 is considered average and 70 is above average. He was in on 84 total snaps.

Run D he was graded out as 55.4 (18 snaps)
Tackling he was 45.3 (had him with 2 missed tackles)
Pressure he was 63.2 (13 snaps)
Coverage he was 53.1 (53 snaps)

Last yr Queen graded out as 35.1 in coverage so it is an improvement, but I believe it's a much bigger improvement than PFF graded it out to be.

haha i wondered if they'd screw him

1 day he's not gonna make a mistake in a game and suddenly his grade's gonna jump from 55 to 95 and PFF's gonna wonder how it happened when all it will mean is that he didnt get beat that 1 time in coverage or miss that tackle after he blew the play up in the backfield lol...

ive just watched him erase bryce hall in man coverage twice on the same drive and also carry a TE up the seam in the redzone...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is what i hated most about last year - you'd see something great on film when the all-22 dropped only for that player to have gone down injured that same game

kyle fuller had an excellent day and really fit what we were doing on the backend - just hope peters is back because the dropoff from Fuller to a rookie is gonna be steep most likely - still havent got to Pepe or JAD's snaps though so i'll see what's what with those guys when we get there

rossihunter2

Staff Member
some notes and thoughts on defence from finishing my first go through of the all-22:

- don't worry about Oweh's understated game - he was quietly dominating and constantly drawing chips and double-teams and extra help and still created pressures (think he had something like 5 from the game)... just didnt have any flashy hits or sacks that showed up in the statbook

- joe flacco was awful, but the general improvement in our safety play cannot be understated - marcus williams is a weapon with the way he was used to disguise coverage pre-snap and at-snap, chuck clark just looked so much better not being asked to play single-high safety from the moon and he looked genuinely threatening in those underneath zones and multiple times had flacco double-clutching, and kyle hamilton grew into the game and flashed in the 2nd half with some of his triggers - hamilton played a lot of deep and split safety in week 1 - ravens played nearly 50% dime btw which is like 20% more than the team with the 2nd highest rate lol... i cannot wait until MP is back in this secondary

- brandon stephens is a little grabby and im surprised he only got called for illegal contact once (not really holding just being physical with guys beyond 5 yards) - if he can find the sweet spot he's gonna be so nice, he's already really impressive and just needs to trust himself because when he's being overly physical its often unnecessary and he's in good position he just doesnt trust it yet i think - he'll get there and he's been super impressive... even the TD he "gave up" was perfect coverage he just missed the swipe on the ball at the catch-point (i think he went for the pick and missed instead of going for the higher percentage PD - possibly because he was robbed of a potential pick 6 a couple of drives earlier by a broderick washington PD at the LoS)

- jalyn armour-davis was the first backup CB to enter the game and played a few snaps on the final drive of the 3rd quarter (which then went into the 4th quarter) where he subbed in for brandon stephens and looked really comfortable and showed some really nice movement skills on his handful of snaps but oddly didnt get to see him again afterwards at all, stephens just came back in the drive after that and then pepe played the last drive in place of stephens - pepe looked fundamentally sound, played the whole drive with no subbing and looked like he fit in well but notably only played in the slot while JAD played inside and outside in his limited reps - both of them looked comfortable outside of 2 man reps Pepe had against Garrett Wilson (albeit the 1st he played with good leverage and carried his route right to kyle hamilton in the MoF and wilson was never open but the 2nd rep he got routed up for a 19 yard gain) - idk what to take from the game in terms of who's next man up if peters isnt ready but found their reps and usage interesting