• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar, The Running Game and The Defensive Collapse

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think you have to squarely blame MM and the roster construction + last year's injuries plus this year's injuries on this loss.

MM didn't call a good game even from the beginning, but we got up big and then just decided to let Tua do whatever he wanted.

We don't have OLBs

Despite keeping 6 CBs we never have more than like 3 available

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So much to be said about the defense.... we've reverted back to the Flacco years where Joe would win us the game, we need one stop and not get it. Tua isn't that good of a QB... only because he has Tyreek and Waddle. Mahomes proved he can still QB without Tyreek. Tua NEEDS Waddle and Tyreek to make himself look good

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think you have to squarely blame MM and the roster construction + last year's injuries plus this year's injuries on this loss.

MM didn't call a good game even from the beginning, but we got up big and then just decided to let Tua do whatever he wanted.

We don't have OLBs

on the plus side, it's early, and these young DBs are only going to get better after what happened to them today
on the minus side - im not sure we can fix this EDGE position any time soon...

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
All this Tua stuff is irrelevant. Is he good is he not it literally doesn't matter. Every QB is good at what they are good at it. It's a defense's job to take away what they're good at and force them to do what they're bad at. Our defense didn't force Tua to do anything at all

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
So much to be said about the defense.... we've reverted back to the Flacco years where Joe would win us the game, we need one stop and not get it. Tua isn't that good of a QB... only because he has Tyreek and Waddle. Mahomes proved he can still QB without Tyreek. Tua NEEDS Waddle and Tyreek to make himself look good
Joe was more like the defense kept the game manageable for a half as the offense floundered. Then the offense came alive just to eek out a small lead before the defense finally broke.

This was far worse. The offense had a 21 point lead IN THE FOURTH QUARTER and gave up 28 points.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
hard not to rely on injured guys when the entire team was injured last year...
we've only got 3 old guys on the defence at all - houston, campbell and bynes
Peters as well. Will be 30 this year and coming off the ACL. Houston and Bynes are playing key positions. People still overlooking the importance of the MLB position are setting themselves up for failure .
I’m not panicking though, this could be the best WR duo we see all year. Bad days at the office happen to everyone

rossihunter2

Staff Member
All this Tua stuff is irrelevant. Is he good is he not it literally doesn't matter. Every QB is good at what they are good at it. It's a defense's job to take away what they're good at and force them to do what they're bad at. Our defense didn't force Tua to do anything at all

i thought we'd found it in the 2nd quarter with Justin Houston - but idk what happened in the 2nd half - we got no pressure and that was it
Tyreek and Waddle are going to get open if you cant move the QB off his spot

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
That's what's frustrating to me about the discussion.

Did Tua make the right reads? Yes. Did Tua make the open throws he needed to? Yes. Did Tua make the plays to win? Yes.

Stop shit talking him when he almost hung 500 and did hang 6 TDs. People look like clowns when they do.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
on the plus side, it's early, and these young DBs are only going to get better after what happened to them today
on the minus side - im not sure we can fix this EDGE position any time soon...
Yeah this is simply not the end of the world, but I do think it's time to start pointing fingers at EDC because this is the second year in a row there have been blatant errors in roster construction. You just can't start a team that has 2 OLBs.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

We don't have OLBs

I gotta disagree , much like the running game today, it’s more about execution. Maybe I missed some stuff but the players were just not making the plays/having mental lapse.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
That's what's frustrating to me about the discussion.

Did Tua make the right reads? Yes. Did Tua make the open throws he needed to? Yes. Did Tua make the plays to win? Yes.

Stop shit talking him when he almost hung 500 and did hang 6 TDs. People look like clowns when they do.
Naw we shouldnt be losing to tua.. if their defense had played great then it wouldve been fine but instead he put the team on his back.. these are games that we should not lose at all.

Reactions: cdp

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I gotta disagree , much like the running game today, it’s more about execution. Maybe I missed some stuff but the players were just not making the plays/having mental lapse.
I think you can say that about some of the plays on offense. I strongly disagree about that take on defense.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dolphins arent good at all… that tua shit is terrible
Time will tell I suppose. Just sucks they have the tie breaker over us now

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Hamilton's not ready yet or maybe for the entire season.