• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar, The Running Game and The Defensive Collapse

Simba

Staff Member
Lamar and the passing game were great. Running game was atrocious.

Defense struggled all day though and we were fortunate to be up by as much as we were at points. Just an all around let down on that side of the ball.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
it's hard to tell what's going wrong but this is what greg roman's known for - he's got to find a way to correct this
Yeah but this is another spot where EDC knew what was happening and chose to roll with our guys (Boyle). TRUST ME, I KNOW HE CAN'T OVERHAUL THE WHOLE TEAM. That would be ridiculous to expect, but like... We knew our RBs weren't ready, we got lucky to get Drake and he's been really blegh. At TE we knew Boyle wasn't ready, we just said hey how bout I let Oliver ruin our running game by being blown up every play. At T, Stanley is still not ready so let's roll with a perma-injured James who's never played LT. We have no OLBs.

A good effort was made at CB but has just been ravaged with injuries again. It's really tough being an NFL GM. I hope there are things that Roman can do to help. I hope maybe there are things EDC can still do to help.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Does anyone think MM realized our current roster is not capable of getting outside pressure outside of maybe 2 plays a game. And then when their OL was up to the challenge of our interior rush, he knew there was no chance to get home?

And that's why he just didn't send guys to pressure Tua?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah but this is another spot where EDC knew what was happening and chose to roll with our guys (Boyle). TRUST ME, I KNOW HE CAN'T OVERHAUL THE WHOLE TEAM. That would be ridiculous to expect, but like... We knew our RBs weren't ready, we got lucky to get Drake and he's been really blegh. At TE we knew Boyle wasn't ready, we just said hey how bout I let Oliver ruin our running game by being blown up every play. At T, Stanley is still not ready so let's roll with a perma-injured James who's never played LT. We have no OLBs.

A good effort was made at CB but has just been ravaged with injuries again. It's really tough being an NFL GM. I hope there are things that Roman can do to help. I hope maybe there are things EDC can still do to help.

at T he's done great - not only did we have james, we also had mekari and brought in faalele and moses...
TE is just weird - not sure what's going on with nick boyle at all

he's expended a bunch of resources at various positions - like what else is he supposed to have done with the resources we had available?
only really obvious thing that could have been done differently was picking someone other than kyle hamilton at 14... but then who do we pick instead of him who makes a dramatic difference here? the only other thing maybe is zadarius smith... but he walked away from that deal to sign basically the same deal with the vikings not EDC

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s also weird because I feel like most of the guys on D had some moments where they looked great and then it all fell apart.

Marlon missed a lot of the 2nd half
MP was in and out

when the defence was more stable in the 1st half, Pepe got to play as the slot and JAD came in with a defined role in relief of MP - 2nd half those roles went out the window i think as suddenly guys were having to play all over the field in different roles on a snap to snap basis

everyone on defence was better in the 1st half - on an academic level it will be interesting to see what happened schematically in the 2nd half to change the game so dramatically

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Does anyone think MM realized our current roster is not capable of getting outside pressure outside of maybe 2 plays a game. And then when their OL was up to the challenge of our interior rush, he knew there was no chance to get home?

And that's why he just didn't send guys to pressure Tua?

felt like he got aggressive in the 2nd half today because we werent getting pressure...
think we dropped more guys into coverage in the 1st half

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Damn we turning on MM this quickly? Lol

Simba

Staff Member
Marlon missed a lot of the 2nd half
MP was in and out

when the defence was more stable in the 1st half, Pepe got to play as the slot and JAD came in with a defined role in relief of MP - 2nd half those roles went out the window i think as suddenly guys were having to play all over the field in different roles on a snap to snap basis

everyone on defence was better in the 1st half - on an academic level it will be interesting to see what happened schematically in the 2nd half to change the game so dramatically
Agreed. I thought all of the guys did some impressive things (including all of the rookies that are currently being shit on) but it all just fell apart.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Dobbins and Gus coming back won't magically fix the run game. Need better line play, these guys haven't played together much, hopefully things improve.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sure but look at those names. They're literally all no names. So yeah it's super frustrating to lose depth like this, but come on. When push came to shove the only OLBs on the team combined for less than 10 sacks last year. That's honestly more egregious than last Year's debacle with the OL
Yep, ferg was the biggest name and he sucked.