• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 NFL Draft

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
I like both picks. Definitely a need at TE. Can grab a WR in the later rounds. Lamar Jackson seems like a good kid and seemed a bit upset at where he was picked. Probably play with that big chip on his shoulder. Love it!

Loved when Deion Sanders asked what he could have done differently to maybe have been drafted earlier. He said, “nothing, I’m happy to be a raven.”

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Can everyone here admit that ozzie has lost it and we are all dissapointed with this pick? or are you all going to talk yourself into it?

I'm not. He's my 4th rated te behind Dallas G, Mike, Andrews

Oz is the reason for our decline, but I think DeCost made these moves. I wanted Dallas G. too

RayRayRaven

Veteran
I hear you. Joe has frustrated us at times, but has given us a lot of success. In that way, he is really underappreciated by many.

That said, exploring his replacement here makes sense. If Jackson can be successful, it will be a massive boost to this organization. It is the kind of swing for the fences move we've been hesitant to make and I applaud the boldness.

If Lamar Jackson was a Home Run for us we take him at 16, 22 for sure........but to give up chips at 32 and equate it as a masterstroke is comical to say the least.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
I think what he's saying is that it's more telling when someone scores really low rather than really high.

A lot of guys score high, but not many score as low as 17.

But 20 is known to be the average so I don't care if he scored a 17. Whatever.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Sooo... What's the plan for Day 2 now? Other trades? Which position?

I'd love to go best OL then grab a WR or a good defensive player that fell

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Senquez Golson in the 2nd, 2015 draft as well.

My worry is now the Browns getting Guice. That would be tremendous value. Idk wtf the Seahawks smoked. They should've just followed my Forum Mock advice
Imagine them drafting Landry and Guice.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oz is the reason for our decline, but I think DeCost made these moves. I wanted Dallas G. too
I don't want to talk myself into H.Hurst but we needed a guy who can block and catch. I don't want to leave J.Hurst (the OT) on an island without help.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I don't want to talk myself into H.Hurst but we needed a guy who can block and catch. I don't want to leave J.Hurst (the OT) on an island without help.
Hayden Hurst starting is fine. James Hurst starting is unacceptable.

Next two picks better be WR and RT

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
To be honest, I see us trading a 3rd and 4th and taking Orlando Brown in the second. Then using our second third to take the Hamilton from Penn state.

good gawd.. One more Hurst tapes and no, still don´t see the value.
Yes of course he´s experienced In-line, off-line, as a FB, pulling, cutblocking and everything, but you get yourself a guy who gets overpowered as an inline blocker and a catcher (albeit with great hands) who will not get an inch of separation on man-coverage. Same opinion I had for Williams, as I preferred a much shiftier, although comparably "incomplete"; Walford.
Furthermore, a good amount of his highlight reel plays were consequence of him running a post through the middle while the D had a single-high S, or as he was pulling and going free on a wheel route.
In neither those cases one could ever talk about "separation"; much rather good play call, plain and simple.
He´s a good athlete and hopefully will turn into a useful addition, but nothing will ever convince me he held more value than Guice/Landry/Ridley. Those are guys who will create plays themselves, without the need of a favorable playcall; players who really can turn into franchise guys. I´m sorry but ours is truly a BS pick.
On to Jackson now..

Imagine them drafting Landry and Guice.
Idk how they keep losing so many games every year. They´ve looked like nailing it on draft week end for a few years now.
On one hand I´m scared (about them) and worried (for our late unsuccess), on the other I honestly wish them to become a good, competitive franchise and that those players live up to their expectations.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think the pick of Hayden Hurst makes infinitely more sense with the Jackson pick. Jackson does his best work over the middle and Hurst is not a go outside the numbers type. He will sit over the middle and catch every single pass and just be a security blanket for a young quarterback.

The thing, though, is that I still hate the pick for the simple fact that he's 25 in August before the season starts. He's maxed out physically and will not get bigger or faster, so he's going to really have to get better at running routes if he wants to be a good tight end.

I would have personally rather stood pat at 22 and taken DJ Moore and then traded up for Jackson. Hurst likely falls into round two and you take one of Goedert, Gisicke (sp?), Thomas, or Hurst, trading up if you have to.

It just feels really deflating to know that the Alabama wide receiver of our dreams was right there and they go a tight end. But, Harbaugh emphasized catching the football and Ridley struggles with drops and Hurst certainly does not, so they really did stick to what they said.

Only 2 Jackson tapes watched so far. Jees, the DEs better maintain their outside leverage on our Ts cause if there´s man-coverage outside and we running slants there´s no LB who can get a good angle on him.
Ball placement is far from perfect but you give him someone like Tate or Ishmael who are great contested ball catchers and he is in full-troubles mode.
Really, really intriguing pick.