• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Hayden Hurst and Lamar Jackson

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I love the Lamar Jackson pick as much as the next guy, top ten player on my board.....

I wouldn’t hate it if we pulled a 2012 redskins and draft a QB early next year either though. Going into next year we shouldn’t have too many needs and we can open up some significant cap room. We no longer have a second but if say a Clayton Thorson has a bad year and falls to the third id still take him.

I have a good feeling about Jackson.... but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to heavily invest in the qb situation given that with his build he’d have a harder time.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Jackson to me is a gamble but not as big of a gamble as one would think. His athleticism is the closest thing to Vick I’ve ever seen but he honestly has the tools to become an nfl pocket passer ala Wilson. Wonderlic be damned, he doesn’t play the game like a moron like Allen did. And his arm is huge as well.

He learns how to become a pass first qb Lamar is going to be the best qb in the class

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
First footage of hurst at practice and he just looks like the gods designed a human being specifically for football. Like an actor casted in a football movie. He's fucking huge, and chiseled, and he moves so easily and catching looks so natural to him.

My gut instinct on Hayden hurst is a strong one.
Hurst if he stays healthy has all pro potential... Why fans were infuriated with the player honestly has me dumbfounded. There was potentially better value at 16(not taking Edmunds could come back to haunt us) but Hurst is that rare high ceiling high floor player at the TE position. He might be the #1 option on the offense from day one. He’s that talented.

Him and Andrews are gonna be BFFs to Jackson going forward

Tank

Hall of Famer
The wonderlic doesn't actually measure intelligence, but it does measure preparation and strategy. It's not as easy as "do a ton of practice questions and then you'll get the hang of it."

There's certain techniques that have been developed by agents/trainers to effectively "beat" the test, such as telling players to focus on certain question types that they are good at or teaching them strategies for each individual question type.

Idk what kind of prep Lamar's mother made him do. I'd assume that he would have been taught the Wonderlic stuff at whatever training facility he did his combine prep at (if he even did combine prep- he didnt do any athletic testing if i recall correctly) There were a lot of questionable decisions made during the predraft process imo and contract negotiations could get difficult.
But would they really be using any techniques other than teaching test taking skills that are learned throughout 16 years of schooling? IDK. And a simple search produces tons of practice tests, test taking tips, etc.. It would seem that if the agent/trainer prep were that influential players across all positions would have similar scores.

Anyway, I’m going to now just leave this discussion alone. Hopefully Lamar pans out to be a great player for the Ravens, but there’s definitely some work to be done to achieve that goal.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Have you looked at the actual questions? Here's a sample question:

"Taylor is going on a road trip that is 600 miles long. Her friend recommends that she buy engine oil A because it will save her 60 cents in gas for every 20 miles of the trip. Oil A, however, will cost $35. Is it worthwhile for Taylor to buy the oil if she has a coupon for $10 off the price?"

Tell me how being able to answer questions like that in 12 minutes translates to success on the football field.
Correct and people who aren’t good at word problems, as simple as they may be, won’t perform well in these standardized tests.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yep, there’s always a chance, but not much of one. Marino(16), Bradshaw(16), Kelly(15), McNabb(15). A few guys out of several hundred, not the best odds.
You don't want me to go on a rant quoting all the great 'wonderlic' scorers at QB who were total unadulterated busts do you? I think we best put a stop to this 'wonderlic' fiasco which really means you can argue either way till the cows come home with no resolution!

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Waking up and seeing this Wonderlic conversation still going on makes me feel like I'm hungover. I am hungover though so....

aUserHasNoName

Practice Squad
I would like to hear Lamar call out plays in the huddle because it is hard for me to understand him with the way he has speaking in these interviews.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Didn’t realize that LJs drop rate was over 12%. Not one of the qbs in the first round had a higher drop rate then him.

https://www.flofootball.com/article...the-overwhelming-disrespect-for-lamar-jackson

it was evident on film that some of the drops perpetrated by his receivers were worse than those rosen had to deal with which is saying a lot

there's no provisos and excuses for the accuracy numbers for allen - there are lots of addendums etc. to jackson's - whether that bares itself out is a different matter but those who dinged lamar for lack of accuracy but gave allen a pass were using some witchcraft to view those 2 qbs through different lenses

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
what were lamar jacksons signature games? not necessarily his big stat games, but high profile, really tight dramatic games that may have put him in the spotlight?