• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Hayden Hurst and Lamar Jackson

The Greek

Veteran
love the picks thus far. lamar is in the perfect situation to sit behind joe for a few years and get acclimated. all i ask of him is to not be greedy with gaining extra yards. know when to slide and run out of bounds before getting battered like rg3. rodgers sat behind favre for 5 years and was ready when his turn came. lamar will be ready when joe leaves.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
love the picks thus far. lamar is in the perfect situation to sit behind joe for a few years and get acclimated. all i ask of him is to not be greedy with gaining extra yards. know when to slide and run out of bounds before getting battered like rg3. rodgers sat behind favre for 5 years and was ready when his turn came. lamar will be ready when joe leaves.
Two years actually. That could end up being the same for Jackson.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
You're another one I went back and forth with last night about the whole thing and especially Flacco. Seems like the front office felt the same way considering you don't draft a QB in the 1st to NOT be a starter. It's time for a culture change. I'll be forever grateful for your boy but the future is here.

First thinking Flacco isn't awful doesn't make him "my boy" whatever that means.

Second the "future" is at least year or two away. This years starter is not in doubt and they wouldn't have waited if they thought otherwise

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
How quickly things change. You wrote just last night before we picked Lamar that he would be a bust and now you want to support him? Such a joke.
What's your problem and what's your point?
How about your reading comprehension?
Am I supposed to bitch about, hate the player and wish for him to bust out because I'm not convinced he's a good pro fit?

Braveheart

Practice Squad
Alright I'll split this into 2 posts since I have a lot of thoughts on Lamar Jackson after sleeping on it.

I've been a Lamar Jackson fan for awhile but never really knew what to think about him here. The guy has an incredible arm. It's amazing how easily he can just flick his wrist and the ball rockets out like it does. His overall arm motion is pretty damn good although the release point can be a little low at times. He needs a lot of work though - especially his footwork. The mechanics are actually smooth but he can definitely lose them at times. I'm hopeful that cleaning up his footwork and developing some consistency in his mechanics will ease some of those accuracy problems. I usually hate to look past accuracy issues but I actually think his might be correctable with work. If Urban and company can get him to widen his base, I think he'll be more accurate.

My biggest question with Lamar has always been his intelligence. In interviews and such, he definitely doesn't come off as the smartest guy. With that being said, he was asked to change a lot at Louisville over the years and handled it pretty damn well. I've watched pretty extensive tape on him because part of me thought he was going to be a legitimate possibility. Normally I only stick with the previous year plus maybe a game or two from the prior year. I started Lamar early and worked up to the 2017 season and I really loved how easily you could see his progression over time. He was raw as hell when he first started out at Louisville and over the years, you could see the understanding of the game. He was reading defenses and progressing through multiple reads. He absolutely still needs work but I always find it encouraging when you can see the progress in a QB on tape and it doesn't just halt.

I typically hate to throw out player comparisons after being burned on them in the past but man, Lamar does have a lot of Mike Vick to his game. It might be the cheap and lazy comparison but I don't care - there are a lot of similarities there to me. I've read up on Vick when he first came out and he had more of the natural talents down but needed work learning to run an NFL offense. I think Lamar is a little more developed there but needs more work on the physical side of things. I think at worse case, you have a Tyrod level player which isn't the worst thing in the world although you'd much rather get Vick out of him. I think Vick would have done some absolutely crazy things if he didn't lose those couple of years of his prime.

One thing I really liked about Lamar last night was seeing him having a good time in the green room even after falling further than expected. He had this attitude that he was going to enjoy the night no matter what happened because whatever was supposed to happen was going to fall into place. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder but he wasn't the guy in the green room getting mad or upset. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but I love that mental side of him. Competitor but doesn't really let his emotions get the best of him.

Lastly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we carry 3 QBs this year. RG3 is actually a really good mentor to Lamar as far as skill set goes. I think those two could work very well together. That RG3 signing makes a ton of sense now. Say what you want about his skill but RG3 has always been regarded as an intelligent QB and I believe he could also be a good teacher.

Great review. I like your last 2 points. I also noticed his mood sitting in the Green Room and could not help but compare him to Rosen. Rosen was looking pi**ed almost looked like a spoiled kid in a huff by the time his name was called. Would have been interesting to see how he handled it if he had to sit for another 5-10 picks.

Love the idea of RG3 working with Lemar. I can see the team doing this. Would show even more commitment to our future by the organisation as would be tough keeping 3 QBs on the books. Someone would lose out elsewhere.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Just watched the Ravens "Inside the War Room" clip and the excitement in the room for Lamar was pretty crazy. Every single person in that room had a huge smile, Bisciotti included.
where did you find that

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
RG3 never was injured on designed runs though and according to PFF, 73% of LJ's runs were designed runs and not impromptu scrambles to evade pressure.

RG3 never learned how to slide and when he did it was so awkward. I agree, he has to learn how to protect himself and if he does the sky is the limit with his potential.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
What's your problem and what's your point?
How about your reading comprehension?
Am I supposed to bitch about, hate the player and wish for him to bust out because I'm not convinced he's a good pro fit?
Just saying. You had a totally different tune last night. It's just laughable to me. No need to get defensive about it. I just thought Lamar was a 3rd round bust, is all.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
First thinking Flacco isn't awful doesn't make him "my boy" whatever that means.

Second the "future" is at least year or two away. This years starter is not in doubt and they wouldn't have waited if they thought otherwise
Whatever you say, apologist. I thought we would take Lamar in the 3rd as a backup as a best case, according to you last night.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Right back at you hater
I appreciate Flacco and everything he's done, but it seems as if the front office has sided with us "haters" by picking up our next franchise QB. Also, want to address the "3rd round as a backup for best case" shit you spewed last night?

Tank

Hall of Famer
Two years actually. That could end up being the same for Jackson.
3 years. Drafted 2005 and didn’t start until 2008 when Brett retired the first time.

There’s a lot of assumption/supposition going on here that really has no basis in fact. I think the plan is probably there is no set plan and any timeline for actions is fully dependent upon Joe’s performance and Lamar’s development. I think all we know for sure is that they have their back up QB for 2018 with the hope they can develop him into a starter sometime in the future.

Last edited:

NYSE5

Practice Squad
I appreciate Flacco and everything he's done, but it seems as if the front office has sided with us "haters" by picking up our next franchise QB. Also, want to address the "3rd round as a backup for best case" shit you spewed last night?
A bit premature for people to have Jackson heading to Canton, OH already but I expected that.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

First buddy lets drop the authority bias because we both know if they hadn't done it you would be here saying how bad they screwed up.

Second, I had him in the 3rd round because I had a late 2nd early 3rd round grade on him, not because he is bad but because he is a project who is not ready to play year 1and I don't like 1st round projects.

The FO who you covet doesn't appear to disagree that he isn't a year 1 ( or possibly year 2) starter or they wouldn't have played around and traded back so far. I hope he develops well but he needs a year or two to be ready.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Just saying. You had a totally different tune last night. It's just laughable to me. No need to get defensive about it. I just thought Lamar was a 3rd round bust, is all.
I'm not defensive, I still think (and I said that couple posts ago) he's a big question mark, at the very least. Is that the reason to hate the guy and wish him to bust, so I can tell in couple years "what did I tell you"?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Definitly loved the pick of Hurst. I was really hoping for Gesicki being a Penn St fan and all but we need that guy that can work the middle of the field plus Hurst is the better blocker. Just keep him off the pitching mound. Better as a catcher. ^_^

Went to bed and woke up and seen we got a QB. Wasn't too happy at first but thinkin about it most of the day and warming up to it. Can learn for a couple yrs but I also believe he can can be situationly used these 1st 2 yrs out of wilcat or change of pace in case Joe sucking it up again. Anyways the compensation was more on our side imo since we seem to miss a lot in the 2nd and we get the value of the 5th yr option which is key especially with Jackson.

RG3 never was injured on designed runs though and according to PFF, 73% of LJ's runs were designed runs and not impromptu scrambles to evade pressure.

RG3 never learned how to slide and when he did it was so awkward. I agree, he has to learn how to protect himself and if he does the sky is the limit with his potential.
Going down 3-4 yards short of the hit is what Jackson will need to do ... and he will need to do it every - damn - play. One mistake is all it takes.

I was at the game that spelled the beginning of the end for RGIII. It wasn't a slide .... he decided to dive for the 1st in front of a freight train named Haloti Ngata, who had a full head of steam. That's a recipe for disaster and is a good way to end a career. If he can be disciplined about going to the turf and can work on mechanics to improve his accuracy, he could be a special talent. The prospect of that is exciting.