• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Hayden Hurst and Lamar Jackson

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I just watched Lamar vs Clemson and Florida State and I'm gonna need someone to talk me down the ledge and tell me why we picked this guy. From these two games Lamar Jackson just looks like Joe Flacco with wheels and a read option system. For real this guy's decision making and accuracy might even be worse than Joe and that's saying some shit
Lamar whole thing is potential.people are hoping like they do every other player that he will reaches his potential. Tbh i dnt like the pick but im just going with the flow and hope he reaches a high level.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I just watched Lamar vs Clemson and Florida State and I'm gonna need someone to talk me down the ledge and tell me why we picked this guy. From these two games Lamar Jackson just looks like Joe Flacco with wheels and a read option system. For real this guy's decision making and accuracy might even be worse than Joe and that's saying some shit
I haven't watched those games or don't remember them, but Lamar had the worst supporting cast in all of college football. When you play loaded DLs like FSU and Clemson you're alone in a cage with lions.

I haven't watched those games or don't remember them, but Lamar had the worst supporting cast in all of college football. When you play loaded DLs like FSU and Clemson you're alone in a cage with lions.

Dodd, Watkins, Ferrell, Lawson would man handle basically any college Oline alone.. without accounting for S/LB blitzes.
Then you have sticky ass CBs to cover a pair of future undrafted WRs.. you need a miracle to get anything going against a disciplined, superior D.

I´ve watched like 10 tapes now and I can´t help but feeling excited about Jackson. Sure, he ain´t Brady accurate but he has the skills to develop into a franchise caliber player. He doesn´t always step up on throws (and, like someone else already mentioned, he doesn´t possess a nice, wide base to help the throws´ momentum) but he´s not a bad decision maker. I honestly saw him once, ONCE, throwing a football while falling on his back and thus risking an INT. Aside from that he´s an insane prospect and, with no bias, one of the most exciting to watch.
Idk how he´s any comparable to stone-feet Flacco. They sit pretty much on the opposite sides of the QB skills spectrum, I would say.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Catcher for sure; athlete I´m not quite sure.
he might be. i was a HUGE gesicki fan, he and ridley were my guys for the first, and i thought gesicki was the most natural athlete, but ill say this..

i think you have it backwards. gesicki seems to be a more natural catcher than hurst, as he is more likely to make an insane catch and frankly he did that at a rate that ive never seen before, it seemed like gesicki made a sky-high spine contorting catch every fucking time he was targeted lol, hurst is less likely to do that, but hurst is a lot more controlled with his motions and bursty with his change of direction, gesicki has the verticals, he has the long speed, but hurst has him beat in general athleticism like agility and quickness and sharpness.

gesicki has the higher ceiling just due to his acrobatics, but hurst is currently a far better route runner and still has room to improve while i dont think gesicki can ever reach hursts potential for route running.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I just watched Hurst for the first time (after watching a few games from other tight ends) and he is so much freaking faster than the other guys like Gesicki and Andrews. Like damn I see why he played WR for a little while...he looks the part. I love it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
t
So I just watched Hurst for the first time (after watching a few games from other tight ends) and he is so much freaking faster than the other guys like Gesicki and Andrews. Like damn I see why he played WR for a little while...he looks the part. I love it.
thats what i came away with too, i watched him earlier today and didnt remember just how explosive and agile he looks. i watched him a while back and have barely watched since, but when i watched him months ago i got into a debate with someone here and said he reminds me of crockett like hes just a big strong oaf who isnt really athletic or special... i clearly wasnt paying any attention to his film, because comparing his film to gesicki and goedert and even andrews, he is so much faster and quicker.

ill go as far to say that his game speed looks faster than ian thomas.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
t

thats what i came away with too, i watched him earlier today and didnt remember just how explosive and agile he looks. i watched him a while back and have barely watched since, but when i watched him months ago i got into a debate with someone here and said he reminds me of crockett like hes just a big strong oaf who isnt really athletic or special... i clearly wasnt paying any attention to his film, because comparing his film to gesicki and goedert and even andrews, he is so much faster and quicker.

It was me you were arguing with and I do my hw

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
t

Yeah I now see why we picked him in the first. He is going to be an absolute matchup nightmare with his speed and size.

Simba

Staff Member
I'm a little more optimistic about him now so thanks, but I'm not jumping up and down just yet. Lot of promise though

I think this is the simplest way to look at it. There's a ton to like if he can put it together but it could also be a complete disaster.

Yuleofellalum

Practice Squad
I saw every game Lamar played at UL. He came in as a low 3 star recruit no other team was willing to give a shot at QB. He didn’t,t even have a real playbook in high school. Let just say I do not believe he was ever pushed academically or on the football field to truly develop.

In 3 years he made dramatic improvement s in reading defenses, learning to stay in the pocket, looking off safeties, footwork, line calls, etc. Petrino did not take it easy on him and give him a simplified version. Every time he improved on a skill he was given more to work on.

I have no doubt he will continue to develop his game. Y’all are in for a real treat. Watching the facial expressions of the defense is worth the ticket price by itself. The red zone is particularly good forlamar. 8 in the box to stack the run is almost an automatic TD for him if he is given a run/pass option.