• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Hayden Hurst and Lamar Jackson

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I think his narrow base is his main problem. Smooth delivery overall although it does get away from him on occasion. I know it's not the only thing to work on, but I think the main focus should be on his mechanics and footwork. I feel like that's when his accuracy gets away from him the most.

The one thing that does kind of concern me about him is that for a mobile QB, he doesn't throw well on the run. They're going to be working hard on the mechanics in the pocket and I hope that the mechanics on the run don't slip through the cracks.
He'll definitely need to learn to get rid off the ball quickly if he plans to stay healthy in pros.

He'll definitely need to learn to get rid off the ball quickly if he plans to stay healthy in pros.
And maybe to get out the fucking bounds instead of lowering his shoulder every second run. He's an amazing runner but has to understand that success (and money) requires a certain amount of health. He really takes a ton of unnecessary hits.
This said, I absolutely love him.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Jackson got a lot potential, but so does every other qb. Everything is based on “ if”. Dont get me wrong im excited af about him but im just not sure

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
With drafting lamar, We have the coaching staff in place for him. We know the plan is for him to sit a year. Now if we suck and miss the playoff again, is harbs (and his coaching staff) gone? Is he still on the hot seat? Or will drafting lamar give them an excuse to keep harbs around?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think his narrow base is his main problem. Smooth delivery overall although it does get away from him on occasion. I know it's not the only thing to work on, but I think the main focus should be on his mechanics and footwork. I feel like that's when his accuracy gets away from him the most.

The one thing that does kind of concern me about him is that for a mobile QB, he doesn't throw well on the run. They're going to be working hard on the mechanics in the pocket and I hope that the mechanics on the run don't slip through the cracks.
you dont think he throws well on the run? maybe i need to go back and watch more. but yeah he needs to do better with dropping to his back foot and transferring his motion to his front with a smooth backwards then forwards motion, bringing the back foot up along with the proper hip swivel. he puts so much of his throwing motion into his arm and front foot that its really easy for him to let a ball get away from him, he isnt throwing from his body, hes throwing from his arm and left foot/knee, but when he DOES drag that back foot forward and transfer his weight properly he tends to drop dimes, he just lets those mechanics get away from him and thats where his errant throws come from.

working on a consistent delivery where he learns to bring the energy from back to front, seriously doesnt sound like a daunting task for a kid whos willing to learn, and hes proven that he can learn with his playbook changes. i hope falling to 32 lit a fire under his ass, and hes blowing up coach urbans phone asking to take more reps. i hope sitting for a year is tearing him up inside and he busts his ass to get on the field. if hes half as fiery as the game hes talking right now, he could be really special.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jackson got a lot potential, but so does every other qb. Everything is based on “ if”. Dont get me wrong im excited af about him but im just not sure
i see a lot of these posts from you, but you have never once gone into detail and explained in football terms why your opinion is right or wrong. can you tell us what you see?
With drafting lamar, We have the coaching staff in place for him. We know the plan is for him to sit a year. Now if we suck and miss the playoff again, is harbs (and his coaching staff) gone? Is he still on the hot seat? Or will drafting lamar give them an excuse to keep harbs around?
i feel like steve has a ton of faith in harbaugh and he understands that the talent has been lacking and the team health has been snakebitten, and another losing season basically means fans will call for heads to roll, unless one big thing happens... you draft the new era for the coach to start over with.

at this point, it wouldnt be wise of steve to fire harbaugh even if we go 6-10 or some horrid shit, at that point he tells harbaugh and marty to start implementing the future playbook asap and he will judge from there.

I get the feeling that Andrews will be a better TE than Hurst and we’re going to regret not taking Calvin Ridley hope I’m wrong though

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I get the feeling that Andrews will be a better TE than Hurst and we’re going to regret not taking Calvin Ridley hope I’m wrong though
i dont think andrews will be better. i think gesicki was the most natural receiver, but hurst pound for pound was probably the most freakish athlete in this entire class, at 6'5" 250 with raw power like a jeremy shockey, yet the burst and agility of an eric ebron-esque TE. his game speed is just ridiculous, he clocked a 4.67 but on film he looks much faster than a lot of TEs who run faster times. andrews simply doesnt look anywhere near as fast or quick on film, hurst also just plays the ball a lot more aggressive and physical. andrews appears to work his positioning better, and appears a slight bit more savvy and crafty in his routes, but hurst has lightyears more room to grow in the route department.

i do think we regret not taking ridley though. because when jacksons tenure starts our FA additions will have either flamed out, or be towards the end of their deals, and our draft picks at wr likely bust, i just odnt have faith in them, so we simply wont have the horses at wr.

but the good news is we likely wouldve had to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks regarding our offense anyway. defense is generally set, and the offense will need resources pumped into it, so we should liukely be targeting wrs next few drafts anyway

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i dont think andrews will be better. i think gesicki was the most natural receiver, but hurst pound for pound was probably the most freakish athlete in this entire class, at 6'5" 250 with raw power like a jeremy shockey, yet the burst and agility of an eric ebron-esque TE. his game speed is just ridiculous, he clocked a 4.67 but on film he looks much faster than a lot of TEs who run faster times. andrews simply doesnt look anywhere near as fast or quick on film, hurst also just plays the ball a lot more aggressive and physical. andrews appears to work his positioning better, and appears a slight bit more savvy and crafty in his routes, but hurst has lightyears more room to grow in the route department.

i do think we regret not taking ridley though. because when jacksons tenure starts our FA additions will have either flamed out, or be towards the end of their deals, and our draft picks at wr likely bust, i just odnt have faith in them, so we simply wont have the horses at wr.

but the good news is we likely wouldve had to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks regarding our offense anyway. defense is generally set, and the offense will need resources pumped into it, so we should liukely be targeting wrs next few drafts anyway
Why haven't you created "Too Early Prospect Watch" thread yet?

The thing about Gesicki was that he tested well at the combine, but he has long strides how often will he get a chance to reach full speed in the NFL?, his hands aren’t that great either sure he has those jump ball skills, but he lead all draftable TEs with drops(13). With Jackson if we insert an RPO style offense like Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz have with their teams, it leaves huge open passing lanes. Ridley on his own creates a ridiculous amount of separation at the top of his routes, just saying having Ridley in an RPO offense would just double his value as a receiver.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And if he doesn't pan out, we get Tua in couple years time!
this is exactly what i was hoping for. i think tua is bound to be seriously special, like future first overall... i specifically was hoping we rode it out to the bitter end with joe and we had a 3-13 type of season in 2020 and ended up drafting tua.