• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 1st half, The Refs and The Collapse

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm getting the general consensus is that the defense was good, but the Bills had costly drops consistently in the first half and of course the two turnovers.

I had a sinking feeling after the Bills scored right before half that it was a sign of more to come. The Bills, obviously, moved pretty effortlessly in the second half and really just abused the defense.

I find it kind of odd that they fixed their drops as the rain got heavier, but they did. And that seemed to be the difference for them.

I just didn't feel like the defense played well. It felt more like the Bills made critical mistakes and the Ravens caught breaks that, when corrected, would stop existing.

turnovers are a critical part of this though and it's not like those opportunities to have turnovers disappeared in the 2nd half - ravens just didnt take advantage of them

but that moment to end the 1st half was critical - the DPI call on Robinson was just massive... ravens are driving with just over 2 minutes on the half with a chance to at least get in FG range and worst case bleed clock away from the bills knowing that they get the ball in the 2nd half

refs with the no call, ravens get no points, bills drive the length of the field and get 7 and what could have become a 4 score game with the ravens getting the ball after the half becomes just a 10 point game and hands all momentum to the bills... and the ravens never got it back

not saying the defence played amazing, but they did enough

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Much respect to Jimmy. I’ll love him forever. He was an example of play like a Raven. If you missed out, his tribute video has been released. It’s posted on RSR if anyones interested

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rossihunter2

Staff Member

obviously the lack of finish is disappointing but Allen does that to everyone...

but also look what happened when we played a team that doesn't do much pretending to run and Oweh had fewer SAM responsibilities... he had 6 pressures and a sack (and probably could have had 2 more sacks)

almost like when a guy is allowed to get in rhythm he's able to work

also wild that he played over 90% of the snaps yesterday

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm curious, under Harbs tenure, how successful we've been converting 4th downs inside the 5-yard line/ 2pt Conversions. I can only remember the Seahawks game from 2019, but I feel like there were a few more successful plays that year. Unfortunately, this year seems genuinely terrible. I don't recall us ever being this bold pre Lamar.

I said earlier in the thread we will go back and forth blaming the offense and some the defense. Truth be told both coordinators lack to make the correct adjustments and that is the responsibility of the coach. If his coordinators are undeperforming that blame again falls on the coach. A whole half without any points and 127 yards if I'm not mistaken is both a lack of execution and lack of adjustment. We get away from what seems to be working Gro gets in his bag of ass plays.

We are constantly seeing the LBs over pursuing and taking bad angles and MM needs to correct that shiz in practice.
But! There's hope we somehow seem to dominate the heavy weights even if it's for a few quarters so there's that. If we can somehow balance out we will be contenders.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

obviously the lack of finish is disappointing but Allen does that to everyone...

but also look what happened when we played a team that doesn't do much pretending to run and Oweh had fewer SAM responsibilities... he had 6 pressures and a sack (and probably could have had 2 more sacks)

also wild that he played over 90% of the snaps yesterday

Of all the plays to be mad at from Oweh that's damn near at the bottom of my list. That's just a great play from Allen.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

My issue with this is Allen dropped back 47 times(fact check? I just went off passing attempts and non designed runs). So to play 90% or the snaps but generate pressure on roughly 3% of those drop backs is not ideal. Maybe that's a bad way to analyze it, I'm not the stats guru, but he needs to be better in year two.

I get the value in pressures, but at some point we need to turn them in to sacks.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Of all the plays to be mad at from Oweh that's damn near at the bottom of my list. That's just a great play from Allen.
I think it's plays like this where we get to feel what other fanbases feel like when their defenders are about to get a sure sack on Lamar and Lamar does what Lamar does to escape it.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I think it's plays like this where we get to feel what other fanbases feel like when their defenders are about to get a sure sack on Lamar and Lamar does what Lamar does to escape it.
True. This specific play I can't be mad at. There were probably another 2 or 3 where he had a clear line to the qb and just took some of the worst angles I've seen.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm curious, under Harbs tenure, how successful we've been converting 4th downs inside the 5-yard line/ 2pt Conversions. I can only remember the Seahawks game from 2019, but I feel like there were a few more successful plays that year. Unfortunately, this year seems genuinely terrible. I don't recall us ever being this bold pre Lamar.
The stat on ESPN this morning was that Lamar is 27/36 in converting 4th and 2 or less. So its basically right at 75%. I think Orlovsky referenced 80%.
That doesn't equate for area on the field, though.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Some interesting things from the snap counts:
1. Hamilton didn't play much on defense. Only 17 snaps. Guessing the Ravens played more Nickel than Dime this week, since Peters/Marlon/Stephens were nearly every down players.
2. Pierre-Paul played an absolute ton. 86% of defensive snaps in the first week. Oweh played 91% too. Gotta hope we find a better rotation there because I don't think many teams play OLB groups at that level, and you've got no shot of getting late-game pass rush with those numbers.
3. Travis Jones with only 16 snaps also
4. Nick Boyle didn't play a single offensive snap

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

didnt block in college, they've been trying to ease him into it with very inconsistent results and limited success
would be huge for him in 2023 if he can become even just a mediocre blocker

Some context would help here though. Like he played 26 snaps this week... what were the formations and what's the down/distance? If most of his snaps are coming on 3rd down, why are you concerned about telegraphing whether its run/pass? Not like defense doesn't know already.

One thing to note in context of snap counts... Andrews missed only four snaps the whole game. I'm not sure I really want him playing 95% of snaps. That's a lot of blocking and route running.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My issue with this is Allen dropped back 47 times(fact check? I just went off passing attempts and non designed runs). So to play 90% or the snaps but generate pressure on roughly 3% of those drop backs is not ideal. Maybe that's a bad way to analyze it, I'm not the stats guru, but he needs to be better in year two.

I get the value in pressures, but at some point we need to turn them in to sacks.

90% is a ridiculous number of snaps for an EDGE to play
the fact that he was creating pressure this late in the game despite playing that many snaps in unfavourable weather for pass rushing is a positive

6 pressures is significant
also if allen dropped back 47 times then the maths there is wrong lol - would be a pressure on ~12% not ~3%

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The stat on ESPN this morning was that Lamar is 27/36 in converting 4th and 2 or less. So its basically right at 75%. I think Orlovsky referenced 80%.
That doesn't equate for area on the field, though.
This is still great info and something the fire Harbs crowd needs to consider. Frustrating not to convert, but more often than not its working in our favor.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
90% is a ridiculous number of snaps for an EDGE to play
the fact that he was creating pressure this late in the game despite playing that many snaps in unfavourable weather for pass rushing is a positive

6 pressures is significant
also if allen dropped back 47 times then the maths there is wrong lol - would be a pressure on ~12% not ~3%
Uh yea your right 12%. Don't blame me, blame Baltimore public schools lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Some interesting things from the snap counts:
1. Hamilton didn't play much on defense. Only 17 snaps. Guessing the Ravens played more Nickel than Dime this week, since Peters/Marlon/Stephens were nearly every down players.
2. Pierre-Paul played an absolute ton. 86% of defensive snaps in the first week. Oweh played 91% too. Gotta hope we find a better rotation there because I don't think many teams play OLB groups at that level, and you've got no shot of getting late-game pass rush with those numbers.
3. Travis Jones with only 16 snaps also
4. Nick Boyle didn't play a single offensive snap

travis jones snaps i imagine are somewhat situational - bills are not a heavy personnel team nor a run-heavy team - not as much need for a massive nose tackle all game

the JPP and oweh numbers are frightening - the fact that copeland only played 7 snaps is surprising too... i get that he's not a game-changer but surely just to spell oweh or JPP for a few snaps here and there you'd think he'd get more than 7

nick boyle is becoming the most expensive special teamer in the league