• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 1st half, The Refs and The Collapse

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is still great info and something the fire Harbs crowd needs to consider. Frustrating not to convert, but more often than not its working in our favor.

people get mad because they remember the ones we dont convert in high leverage moments and there's a recency bias too with the dolphins troubles at the goal-line

they forget most of the high leverage ones we make - outside of seattle which is only remembered because of the moment with harbs and lamar, and maybe the chiefs one to seal the win last year in week 2

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
travis jones snaps i imagine are somewhat situational - bills are not a heavy personnel team nor a run-heavy team - not as much need for a massive nose tackle all game

the JPP and oweh numbers are frightening - the fact that copeland only played 7 snaps is surprising too... i get that he's not a game-changer but surely just to spell oweh or JPP for a few snaps here and there you'd think he'd get more than 7

nick boyle is becoming the most expensive special teamer in the league
Boyle also doesn't even play all ST apparently. I only see 7 snaps. I'm guessing he's not on the punt team, but I'm not watching his snaps either...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Boyle also doesn't even play all ST apparently. I only see 7 snaps. I'm guessing he's not on the punt team, but I'm not watching his snaps either...

oh yeah he's eminently replaceable - the things that made him a great special teamer are the same things that made him a special blocking TE - if he hasnt physically been able to return to do those things as a blocker, it's unlikely he's able to do those same special things as a special teamer either

if this really is it for boyle on offence then he's clearly right now just a placeholder on the gameday actives for the guys who are currently not healthy enough to factor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pretty sure he was only in as a protector on the FG unit yesterday
That's what I thought. But I didn't think Tucker had 7 PATs + FGs yesterday. Should have been four, right? Five if you count the false start on the one FG. Still doesn't get me to 7, though.

Either way, yes, basically he's only playing ST on plays that don't involve running.

Edit: I guess he's on the FG block group as well.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
My issue with this is Allen dropped back 47 times(fact check? I just went off passing attempts and non designed runs). So to play 90% or the snaps but generate pressure on roughly 3% of those drop backs is not ideal. Maybe that's a bad way to analyze it, I'm not the stats guru, but he needs to be better in year two.

I get the value in pressures, but at some point we need to turn them in to sacks.
They only should only count the pressures if it forces the qb to throw an incomplete lol.. i used to hate yannick and his “ he pressures the qbs alot” fans..

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

Some interesting things from the snap counts:
1. Hamilton didn't play much on defense. Only 17 snaps. Guessing the Ravens played more Nickel than Dime this week, since Peters/Marlon/Stephens were nearly every down players.
2. Pierre-Paul played an absolute ton. 86% of defensive snaps in the first week. Oweh played 91% too. Gotta hope we find a better rotation there because I don't think many teams play OLB groups at that level, and you've got no shot of getting late-game pass rush with those numbers.
3. Travis Jones with only 16 snaps also
4. Nick Boyle didn't play a single offensive snap

This is a huge problem to me. Everyone is clamoring about the coaches this and the coaches that.

However it is not normal to play that much.

For example, the Bucs top OLB played 50% and 58% of total snaps.

Matt Judon played 57% of snaps his last game.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is a huge problem to me. Everyone is clamoring about the coaches this and the coaches that.

I agree. Though, again, lack of options is driving that. No Houston, no Ojabo, no Bowser. You get Houston back you can at least play more of a 3 man rotation, so maybe each is playing 2/3 of snaps instead of like 80-90%.

If healthy, this should dramatically improve over time. But in short term, yes, its an issue.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
One thing we have excelled at in short yardage situations is the shovel pass dump offs the chiefs and Steelers have ran for years. I will give credit where due there

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
They only should only count the pressures if it forces the qb to throw an incomplete lol.. i used to hate yannick and his “ he pressures the qbs alot” fans..
yea for sure. I think pressures are nice but also a highly overrated stat. Feels like this team has been talking about pressures for years , but at some point you have to turn those into consistent sacks

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Let me say though, I'm an EXTREMELY impressed with his long term prospects

oh he's viable and while we probably would have liked not to see him playing yet, he's gonna be much further along in his development because of the last 2 week

he's already a net positive in the run game and he's shown the traits (inconsistently) to get out there and be a good pass protector - he's not ready yet and got a ton of help from ricard yesterday which obviously reduced the ability of the bills to get sacks (and also lamar escaped out of a couple) but if we're thinking developmentally, it's hard not to be absolutely thrilled with him so far

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
oh he's viable and while we probably would have liked not to see him playing yet, he's gonna be much further along in his development because of the last 2 week

he's already a net positive in the run game and he's shown the traits (inconsistently) to get out there and be a good pass protector - he's not ready yet and got a ton of help from ricard yesterday which obviously reduced the ability of the bills to get sacks (and also lamar escaped out of a couple) but if we're thinking developmentally, it's hard not to be absolutely thrilled with him so far
Well said

Look at this quote from Von Miller:

Some of the tendencies that we had maybe thought of throughout the week, they were a little bit different, so we kind of understood, just throughout the game, that if they were in certain formations, if they were in certain personnel groups, this is what they were doing. Early on in the game, we were still trying to figure it out, but as we got through the game, and you started to see plays repeat itself, we were able to kind of settle down and see the same plays over and over again, and, like I said, make the plays when we had to.

Seems to me this is the reason we come out guns blazing then stall in the second half. Coming from the horses mouth the same plays are repeated over and over so the opposing team adjusts and stops the offense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

oweh's young and athletic and good in both phases - but when we get up above 80-85% the level of difficulty is going to increase massively

bowser was able to do that in some games last year but he's also got a lot of off-ball/coverage responsibilities which are a little different energy-wise to some of the trench-work

it's not going to change for oweh at all until we get houston and bowser back - if we can just get him back down below 80% i think we're gonna be in the sweet spot