• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Jaleel Scott and Jordan Lasley

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
The ravens could have taken Auden Tate or Marcel Ateman. They did not and they clearly preferred Scott to either of those prospects by a wide margin.

If you put it up, he will win. Excellent hands and ability to win fades and jump balls. He will need to improve and find new ways to gain separation if he is to be a more complete receiver but his abilities now to win the contested throw and to catch anything within his massive wingspan provide a decent enough launch.

Lasley, I have just begun to watch. His issues with drops are well documented. He does however strike me as someone who can take a game over. He can gain separation....he does win against press. He is good after the catch and can get deep. Hindsight being what it is, It is fairly evident that he is a superior prospect to Perriman coming out and could turn into a number one receiver. We will likely have to live with the occasional drops and he could bust for reasons off the field but he is naturally talented right now and the upside is substantial.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lasley's USC film is really really impressive. They had no answer for him.
I hated on the Lasley pick at first (still upset we took him over Wilson) but If he can stay out of trouble and even fix his hands a little he will be a good receiver. He's an electric receiver and there's a lot to like. I'm just so tired of this team dropping passes it's hard to get on board with him.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Lasley will be alright given that he caught nearly seventy passes in a nine game stretch. It wouldn't shock me if he does as well here as Torrey did. As for Scott, as much as I liked Tate, Scott might be better in the long run. We'll see.

I think Lasley will be alright given that he caught nearly seventy passes in a nine game stretch. It wouldn't shock me if he does as well here as Torrey did. As for Scott, as much as I liked Tate, Scott might be better in the long run. We'll see.
I thought of Torrey as well in terms of projection. Hands will hurt him and he may not be a number 1 but he can bring big plays.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Early on in the offseason I started watching film of Lasley and I'm a big fan, but I'm well aware of his drop issues. He's dropped the most balls in the last two years in college football. That being said, he has some electric ability and if and if he can stay out of trouble and get a better set of gloves, then he has some serious potential. I'm glad we took a chance on Lasley.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Lasley has some real TY in his game. There are concerns yes, but to get that sort of upside in the 5th is truly great. You'll read about him during camp trust me.

Simba

Staff Member
The Lasley pick is intriguing to me. For a team that has spent all offseason focusing on guys with strong hands, I wouldn’t have thought Lasley would have even been in consideration.

With that being said, the boom potential is there for him. He’s a big play guy but you’re definitely going to have to live with drops. With 12 picks, I’m more than alright taking a chance on him. I think you can afford to take the risk that he overcomes the drops (to a reasonable extent) and his off-field issues.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Think we needed a big play guy anyway, the only deep threats behind Smokey were BP and Moore... Not ideal with Smokey' injury potential

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is ironic...so is the incessant negativity.

Find some positive man. Just because we're optimistic doesn't make us sheep or lemings.

I just feel with the number of picks we had we didn't make anywhere near the most of it.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
From what I'm reading, Lasley carried a huge load of passes in less than a full season of games. I'm sure it doesn't account for all the drops, but when you are targeted a metric shit ton of times, perhaps that can lead to a higher percentage of drops? I'm an optimist, BTW. I absolutely love this draft.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
What i found sad is that we passed up on some really awesome prospects just to get a bunch of meh ones. The more i look at this draft i can say with quite a bit of confidence it falls in line with typical raven rosters. Average to above average at best. no special talent or steal, just solid starters..around 2-3 but nothing that made our franchise special on D for instance back in the glory years.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
What i found sad is that we passed up on some really awesome prospects just to get a bunch of meh ones. The more i look at this draft i can say with quite a bit of confidence it falls in line with typical raven rosters. Average to above average at best. no special talent or steal, just solid starters..around 2-3 but nothing that made our franchise special on D for instance back in the glory years.
I think hurst has a really strong chance to be that level of elite you speak of. Then we have andrews who is a really good talent as a flexed TE. Brown who has elite power, length, and general ability but lacks athleticism, and Lamar fucking Jackson lol, I'd say we got some really good players with elite transformative potential, and great depth pieces and a few potential serviceable starters.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
From what I'm reading, Lasley carried a huge load of passes in less than a full season of games. I'm sure it doesn't account for all the drops, but when you are targeted a metric shit ton of times, perhaps that can lead to a higher percentage of drops? I'm an optimist, BTW. I absolutely love this draft.
As a guy who watched a ton of UCLA games.. More than anyone here guarenteed...

It's not entirely part of the problem, but this did inflate the problem. Lasley did put too many easy ones on the ground for my liking but the notion that he wasn't a draftable player by a few others was just bullshit. Lasley was the only WR worth a damn and he did a lot of things very well and has a higher floor than a lot of people give him credit for. At the very worst the dude is a potent deep threat.. And honestly, his hands aren't as bad as the drops indicate. Catch Lasley in stride and he usually comes through. He sucks at the 50-50 balls but that's not his game anyways. But with the ball in his hands he's a legit player. His hands were more akin to Torrey Smith or Mike Wallace. Not good, but not going to utterly fuck you over either. Difference is... Lasley is far more willing to go over the middle than Torrey was and is super explosive himself

Simba

Staff Member
I know this has all pretty much been said to this point, but I'll kind of repeat it. I had some time to look into Lasley a bit more today and this might actually be one of my favorite picks in the draft. The drops are certainly there, as well as the reported maturity concerns. However, it's known that he's a big play waiting to happen. What I like most though is the swag. The guy just oozes confidence and even though you might have some pains to go along with it, he just brings some excitement.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I know this has all pretty much been said to this point, but I'll kind of repeat it. I had some time to look into Lasley a bit more today and this might actually be one of my favorite picks in the draft. The drops are certainly there, as well as the reported maturity concerns. However, it's known that he's a big play waiting to happen. What I like most though is the swag. The guy just oozes confidence and even though you might have some pains to go along with it, he just brings some excitement.
Was there anything else on the maturity side of things or just being caught with fake ID while trying to buy some booze? I mean, who hasn't done that?