• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Jaleel Scott and Jordan Lasley

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
a lot of people are saying to take the good with the bad, but dude, i dont want a drive stalling because some jackass drops a wide open pass that hits him square in the hands, or once again a pass bouncing off his hands and into a defenders.

the guy is a risk to have on the field, a HUGE risk. i dont care about his potential, that makes it even scarier because that means he will get opportunities that he shouldnt get. lasley is the one pick i really did not like.
I think in the 5th round you have to take that risk. Those drops are really bad though....but like i said. In the 5th round, its worth taking a guy like that. If he was taken on day 2 of the draft im not sure id be happy with a risk like that

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think in the 5th round you have to take that risk. Those drops are really bad though....but like i said. In the 5th round, its worth taking a guy like that. If he was taken on day 2 of the draft im not sure id be happy with a risk like that
but if you think about it all the way through, dropped passes are devastating, it shows an effective play in your playbook tipping your hand, yet its wasted, it kills drives, its disheartening, and dangerous as it leads to picks. in my eyes, you dont field a WR who drops the ball, idc how big of a playmaker they are, and maybe im biased because im a ravens fan, but its just how i see it now. so why spend a pick on a guy who shouldnt be playing? for me, catching the ball is a prerequisite to playing WR in the NFL. and i know there are elite receivers who have high drops, i dont care, im talking about drafting players, if im drafting a wr its gonna be one who can catch the ball consistently first and foremost.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
but if you think about it all the way through, dropped passes are devastating, it shows an effective play in your playbook tipping your hand, yet its wasted, it kills drives, its disheartening, and dangerous as it leads to picks. in my eyes, you dont field a WR who drops the ball, idc how big of a playmaker they are, and maybe im biased because im a ravens fan, but its just how i see it now. so why spend a pick on a guy who shouldnt be playing? for me, catching the ball is a prerequisite to playing WR in the NFL. and i know there are elite receivers who have high drops, i dont care, im talking about drafting players, if im drafting a wr its gonna be one who can catch the ball consistently first and foremost.
I mean he was still Rosens #1 target and if he has drop problems in camp and pre season i doubt hell get much playing time

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Certainly better than drafting a WR with a case of the "dropsies" in the 1st (fuck you, Perriman). Some players actually improve their catching ability when they get to the NFL, so if Lasley can do that then has some potential to be a threat. If he doesn't? Not like we spent a high pick on him and we're also not relying on him to become a starter anytime soon either.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would begin WR reps this year for Lasley. Based on what I've seen he is likely THE guy if any one of Crabtree, Brown, or Snead either go down or under perform.

Simba

Staff Member
Fuck it just go ahead and put me on team Lasley for favorite 3rd day pick. The hands are questionable but I can't get over how much of a threat he is as a deep receiver. I'm not sure he'll ever get over the drops but I'm willing to live with them as long as the big plays come. He kind of reminds me of a slower Will Fuller. He might frustrate you at times, but you're also going to absolutely love him at times. That is, if he can kick the off field stuff too. I'm really happy with this "risk" in the 5th round.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I'm not saying he and Torrey are the same in the hands department, but Torrey wasn't exactly hands catching (Fitz style) the lights out of the ball day in and day out. At worst, if we could get the same PI production from Lasley it's a steal and if he can figure the drops out, game over.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Torrey Smith was not the surest hand catcher at all but he was a playmaker. Mike Wallace was the same for The Steelers but do you think they weren't worth seeing the field? . Yeah it's true that there have been elite receivers in this league that have had high drops or inconsistent at catching the ball . Terrell Owens who is a Hall of Famer comes to mind . Julio Jones did not catch the ball consistently in college but still got drafted in the first round. Martavis Bryant was not consistent at catching the ball in college but he still got drafted in the fourth round.Even though we are talking about drafted players there's no way these coaches and scouts can't look at Torrey Smith , Mike Wallace, Martarvis Bryant or Terrell Owens and think they can some how work with similar players from the draft.

I get it that a wide receiver should be able to catch the ball consistently and be dependable but not every receiver is going to have hands like Jerry Rice. If anything I think a slot receiver should have the most dependable hands especially if they aren't the fastest and etc. When it comes to outside receivers with the ability of Jordan Lasley or better then I think a team can live with the drops and work with the player to see if their drop issues can get better over time.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Torrey Smith was not the surest hand catcher at all but he was a playmaker. Mike Wallace was the same for The Steelers but do you think they weren't worth seeing the field? . Yeah it's true that there have been elite receivers in this league that have had high drops or inconsistent at catching the ball . Terrell Owens who is a Hall of Famer comes to mind . Julio Jones did not catch the ball consistently in college but still got drafted in the first round. Martavis Bryant was not consistent at catching the ball in college but he still got drafted in the fourth round.Even though we are talking about drafted players there's no way these coaches and scouts can't look at Torrey Smith , Mike Wallace, Martarvis Bryant or Terrell Owens and think they can some how work with similar players from the draft.

I get it that a wide receiver should be able to catch the ball consistently and be dependable but not every receiver is going to have hands like Jerry Rice. If anything I think a slot receiver should have the most dependable hands especially if they aren't the fastest and etc. When it comes to outside receivers with the ability of Jordan Lasley or better then I think a team can live with the drops and work with the player to see if their drop issues can get better over time.
guys like torrey and wallace werent aggressive catchers, didnt fight for the ball/didnt pluck it/lacked body control, but typically caught the ball when it hit them square in the hands. lasley drops balls that hit him square in the hands, wide open pitch and catch, without the catch. and he does it often.

sorry not sorry, ive had enough of that shit, dropped passes have snakebitten this franchise so badly, the last thing i want is a guy you can watch film on with multiple games with multiple wide open drops. this isnt a case of him not being a ball attacking wr with boldin like catching, this is about flat out dropping the damn ball a ridiculous amount.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
guys like torrey and wallace werent aggressive catchers, didnt fight for the ball/didnt pluck it/lacked body control, but typically caught the ball when it hit them square in the hands. lasley drops balls that hit him square in the hands, wide open pitch and catch, without the catch. and he does it often.

sorry not sorry, ive had enough of that shit, dropped passes have snakebitten this franchise so badly, the last thing i want is a guy you can watch film on with multiple games with multiple wide open drops. this isnt a case of him not being a ball attacking wr with boldin like catching, this is about flat out dropping the damn ball a ridiculous amount.

I'm not going into deep detail of drop passes but did Torrey Smith have moments where he frustrated fans due to his drop passes in games ? Yes he did . I even remember him dropping what would be considered easy catches. This is the same Torrey Smith that had a season where he caught 40 percent of his passes at one point in his career. I get Ravens fans are tired of drop passes from receivers but they signed three free agent receivers that have pretty good hands and then they drafted two tight ends in this year draft that are known to catch the ball consistently to go along with a fourth round receiver that's not too shabby with catching the ball either. The fact that they drafted a wide receiver in the fifth round that had issue with catching the ball consistently but was a playmaker in college doesn't bother me. A playmaker is something The Ravens need bad on offense because that's been missing element since Torrey Smith and Steve Smith Sr departure.

I don't think The Ravens are in a situation where they can be picky with offensive talent. I get your dislike for Jordan Lasley but it's not like was drafted in the first round by The Ravens.After what The Ravens did before drafting Jordan Lasley why should I or anyone trip over this?. One major problem last year with The Ravens offense was not only the drop passes but they literally didn't have any other receivers on their team that could balance it all out. There really wasn't any dependable receiver like a Anquan Boldin, Dennis Pitta, Steve Smith Sr , Derrick Mason, and etc to be a reliable pass catcher to balance out the drop passes. Having a receiver that's inconsistent with catching the ball is alot worst when their is no reliable receivers on the field to balance it all out.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
It does worry me when Lasley has Rosen as his QB since that guy was one of the most accurate guys I saw. I think Lasley was a dart throw by the franchise hoping we strike gold.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It does worry me when Lasley has Rosen as his QB since that guy was one of the most accurate guys I saw. I think Lasley was a dart throw by the franchise hoping we strike gold.

what im seeing on film from lasley is 2 different kinds of drops:

1 is the straight up concentration easy drop where he either takes his eye off the ball or he lets the ball through his hands and bounce off his chest on a catchable ball - those are inexcusable and remind me a lot of perriman at times

2 is the rosen delivering the ball under pressure - all other rookie qbs dont get that ball even close and rosen puts the ball in a spot that only lasley has a chance at it but its a tough chance and more often than not he cant make the miracle play - this was a surprising proportion of the drops just because of how much pressure due to awful OL play rosen was facing - but when pressured more often that not rosen would target lasley and put the ball in a place where only lasley had a chance and sometimes he'd come through with it and sometimes the ball would fall off his fingertip

the 2nd type of drops i think inflates his numbers just because of how many targets went his way and arent necessarily a negative stat per se
the problem is they are compounded by the 1st type which are easy drops - but unlike some guys in the class he's not double catching the ball or letting it come to him - he seems to hands catch the ball with good technique so my hope is that he can eliminate the concentration drops

however that's the exact same hope i had with perriman and it has led us nowhere

he seems to already be building nice chemistry with jackson though and seems to be a vocal but supportive voice on the sidelines already - it sounds like those maturity issues that dropped him even further than the drops have are not an issue at all - the drops may be a problem and its only shorts but he reportedly hasnt dropped anything yet and that's all we can ask for so far

if he pans out it's a master stroke - if he doesnt pan out it was a 5th round pick - my hope is that we find out one way or another soon rather than be left in a purgatory of false hope like we were for 3 years with perriman

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2 Yeah I can’t blame them for taking the chance and who was there that was drastically better we could’ve taken? I don’t remember being wow’ed by anyone at that point so it’s whatever. The guy is a 5th round pick so while we’ve had success there let’s not act like this is drafting Correa here

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 Yeah I can’t blame them for taking he chance and who was there that was drastically better we could’ve taken? I don’t remember being wow’ed by anyone at that point so it’s whatever. The guy is a 5th round pick so while we’ve had success there let’s not act like this is drafting Correa here

i mean personally i loved equanimeous st brown but hearing post-draft that he had some awful meetings with teams does worry me - but he was personally one of my top 5 wrs based on projecting off the tape and had a 2nd round grade from me but i understand us not taking him - although i think i would have adored this draft even more if we swapped out jaleel scott with st brown...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm not going into deep detail of drop passes but did Torrey Smith have moments where he frustrated fans due to his drop passes in games ? Yes he did . I even remember him dropping what would be considered easy catches. This is the same Torrey Smith that had a season where he caught 40 percent of his passes at one point in his career. I get Ravens fans are tired of drop passes from receivers but they signed three free agent receivers that have pretty good hands and then they drafted two tight ends in this year draft that are known to catch the ball consistently to go along with a fourth round receiver that's not too shabby with catching the ball either. The fact that they drafted a wide receiver in the fifth round that had issue with catching the ball consistently but was a playmaker in college doesn't bother me. A playmaker is something The Ravens need bad on offense because that's been missing element since Torrey Smith and Steve Smith Sr departure.

I don't think The Ravens are in a situation where they can be picky with offensive talent. I get your dislike for Jordan Lasley but it's not like was drafted in the first round by The Ravens.After what The Ravens did before drafting Jordan Lasley why should I or anyone trip over this?. One major problem last year with The Ravens offense was not only the drop passes but they literally didn't have any other receivers on their team that could balance it all out. There really wasn't any dependable receiver like a Anquan Boldin, Dennis Pitta, Steve Smith Sr , Derrick Mason, and etc to be a reliable pass catcher to balance out the drop passes. Having a receiver that's inconsistent with catching the ball is alot worst when their is no reliable receivers on the field to balance it all out.
Because cedrick Wilson offers even more upside without the brick hands

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2 Yeah I can’t blame them for taking the chance and who was there that was drastically better we could’ve taken? I don’t remember being wow’ed by anyone at that point so it’s whatever. The guy is a 5th round pick so while we’ve had success there let’s not act like this is drafting Correa here
I don't hate the pick but I would rather have gotten Ishmael or Cedrick Wilson.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I guess if Lasley at least gets open so that he can have the opportunity to drop balls its an improvement over last year.