• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Bengals Edition

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I know but I don’t think he’s ready yet in the NFL . I hope I’m wrong .losing Williams is horrific .
I've seen Hamilton get chewed out far too many times so far by the secondary for mistakes in coverage to feel comfortable having him in a single high, even two high, role.

Is it mental mistakes of not understanding the assignment? Is he not adjusted to the speed and not respecting the fact that guys will get over top of you if you give them that window? I don't know.

But he hasn't inspired confidence to me, yet, as a deep safety. I think he's fine as a third safety that plays a robber role and drops into the box, but that's about all I'm asking of him at the moment.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kyle is going to learn by fire now.

I have seen a few flashes of what I think he can be. He has graded well among rookies. I thought that hustle strip fumble was impressive.

Can't wait to see him in action.

Simba

Staff Member
With Marcus going down, I do wonder if Stephens slots back at S a bit more. They tried the whole outside CB thing and we didn't get much traction there (one good game and a couple of bad ones), and he's been playing a lot more slot since the health at outside CB has returned. But now with Pepe stepping up a lot more, maybe Stephens gets a shot to go back and play that hybrid S/sCB role that he was in last year. I think he's a much better player in that role.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I do quite consistently. It gets ignored and dismissed.

But even if I don’t offer analysis, your definition of troll is piss poor. I support this team no matter what. Even if I completely disagree with you about how we get there, I always find a way to watch and want us to win. Call me an idiot fan fine. I’m not in tune as most of you are.
The whole reason this discussion started was this: you bring up having Justin tucker as our kicker being the factor that should stop us from trying to convert fourth downs, I propose the question “what if it is just about points rather than who is your kicker? Do you now understand why going for it gives you a better chance?” And you chose to ignore this part of the discussion. It’s all hypotheticals about points scored and who possesses the ball to end the game, if you go for it on fourth and convert then you keep the ball and don’t give the other team a chance and preferably it ends with 7 instead of 3, if you take then you give the ball back and count on your defense, that’s literally all the analytical discussion is about when we’re talking about kick or go for it.

You ever think maybe people are just trying to communicate their thoughts with you and see their perspective? Or do you think every thoughtful exchange shared with you is an insult or an attack because you feel differently? Seems when we get into the fourth down talk you get real snappy and shitty at the idea of not taking the points lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do quite consistently. It gets ignored and dismissed.

But even if I don’t offer analysis, your definition of troll is piss poor. I support this team no matter what. Even if I completely disagree with you about how we get there, I always find a way to watch and want us to win. Call me an idiot fan fine. I’m not in tune as most of you are.
Ehh, I mean, I think in a lot of these instances you're not actually taking the "contrarian view"... you're actually taking the majority view. The majority of fans, regardless of whether they support the team or not, overreact to literally everything they see, and typically react only to the most recent thing they see.

Like RSR is a notoriously over-reactionary site. Everybody is either terrible or great, depending on the last thing they saw. Every week we lose we need to fire X person or cut Y person or bench Z player for somebody else who already couldn't win the job. Week in, week out, same bullshit.

This just happens to be one of the few sites where the sky is not, in fact, falling every week. There's posters on here who think it is, and the gameday thread scares this shit out of me, because some of you guys don't even realize the level of inconsistency and stupidity in some of your posts on a play-by-play basis, but I've just learned not to read the gameday thread barely ever. It's magical.

I think most people would say your points of view aren't actually your points of view. They're taken from what others, like RSR, generally believe. Namely, we think that you think Hamilton sucks because he botched two plays terribly against Miami. And that unless he finishes the year with like 10 INTs, its unlikely you're going to move off that "take" anytime soon.

You can have that opinion if you want. You just can't expect others to agree with it, and can probably expect others to mock you for it. On other sites, you'd be preaching to the choir.

But don't worry... 5 minutes on Twitter makes even the dumbest posters on here look like future GM's of this team.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Given the resources spent and the gameplan that they utilized, I'm starting to concede that these are the types of games Lamar is gonna have against them. They made it their mission to build their defense to contain Lamar ever since he has been quite literally running all over them season after season.
yes, but he will hit on those passes, unlike last night. Two of those passes, the one to Robinson and the one to Wallace are the ones he normally doesn't miss on.

marklar

Pro Bowler
Short takes:
- Marlon is the best CB in the league. Fight me!
- McDonald deserves a lot of credit for a defensive game plan that actually worked. Long time since we saw that
- The tackling in the run game has got to improve. If it takes 3 guys to bring down any of the opposing RBs, that's not much to be proud of
- <joke> We need to stop signing players to large contracts, they immediately go to IR when we do </joke>. And 2 or our 3 external FAs this year on IR now. I want to cry.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ehh, I mean, I think in a lot of these instances you're not actually taking the "contrarian view"... you're actually taking the majority view. The majority of fans, regardless of whether they support the team or not, overreact to literally everything they see, and typically react only to the most recent thing they see.

Like RSR is a notoriously over-reactionary site. Everybody is either terrible or great, depending on the last thing they saw. Every week we lose we need to fire X person or cut Y person or bench Z player for somebody else who already couldn't win the job. Week in, week out, same bullshit.

This just happens to be one of the few sites where the sky is not, in fact, falling every week. There's posters on here who think it is, and the gameday thread scares this shit out of me, because some of you guys don't even realize the level of inconsistency and stupidity in some of your posts on a play-by-play basis, but I've just learned not to read the gameday thread barely ever. It's magical.

I think most people would say your points of view aren't actually your points of view. They're taken from what others, like RSR, generally believe. Namely, we think that you think Hamilton sucks because he botched two plays terribly against Miami. And that unless he finishes the year with like 10 INTs, its unlikely you're going to move off that "take" anytime soon.

You can have that opinion if you want. You just can't expect others to agree with it, and can probably expect others to mock you for it. On other sites, you'd be preaching to the choir.

But don't worry... 5 minutes on Twitter makes even the dumbest posters on here look like future GM's of this team.
gameday thread isn't that bad anymore, although it used to be.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Short takes:
- Marlon is the best CB in the league. Fight me!
- McDonald deserves a lot of credit for a defensive game plan that actually worked. Long time since we saw that
- The tackling in the run game has got to improve. If it takes 3 guys to bring down any of the opposing RBs, that's not much to be proud of
- <joke> We need to stop signing players to large contracts, they immediately go to IR when we do </joke>. And 2 or our 3 external FAs this year on IR now. I want to cry.
Really good third point. Especially IF playing a lot more two-deep safety looks is going to be the norm. I don't know if it will, because against teams like the Giants, for example, I don't really see the point. But when you're playing Buffalo, Cincy, KC, Miami, etc., it's clear (and it should be) that the emphasis is on not giving up big plays.

Two deep safeties and even zone coverages means less guys in the box, which means teams should run the ball more against us. We need to be able to at least moderately stop that. Poor tackling or poor gap discipline will lead to BIG runs when you're playing shell coverage.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With Marcus going down, I do wonder if Stephens slots back at S a bit more. They tried the whole outside CB thing and we didn't get much traction there (one good game and a couple of bad ones), and he's been playing a lot more slot since the health at outside CB has returned. But now with Pepe stepping up a lot more, maybe Stephens gets a shot to go back and play that hybrid S/sCB role that he was in last year. I think he's a much better player in that role.

that's an interesting thought i hadnt considered
would make a ton of sense with how much they trusted pepe in this one at slot ahead of stephens - albeit maybe that's more of a matchup thing idk

rossihunter2

Staff Member

gameday thread is fun but it's not a serious place lol
but that's fine because it's not supposed to be