• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The DL, The Lamar and Another Blown Lead

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I called this play out earlier. I was screaming at the TV for about 10 mins straight after this. It's early in the game, so it gets lost, but its a pretty big mistake by Lamar on this play.

Lamar is prone to these poor reads on the option the less we run it it seems, too many times he thinks he’s gotta be the guy that makes the play

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar is prone to these poor reads on the option the less we run it it seems, too many times he thinks he’s gotta be the guy that makes the play
I agree. This one is just so egregious to me, mostly because like its the EXACT read you want as a QB. DE comes crashing down, and your RB is already outside the edge defender at the mesh point.

OC's that run the zone read literally dream for this alignment and reaction by the defense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I agree. This one is just so egregious to me, mostly because like its the EXACT read you want as a QB. DE comes crashing down, and your RB is already outside the edge defender at the mesh point.

OC's that run the zone read literally dream for this alignment and reaction by the defense.
Someone needs to get it into Lamar’s head that football is a team sport, not that he’s a selfish player or lacks accountability, just that he’s gotta trust his teammates and just let go sometimes.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Someone needs to get it into Lamar’s head that football is a team sport, not that he’s a selfish player or lacks accountability, just that he’s gotta trust his teammates and just let go sometimes.
I'll go to my grave not understanding his thought process there. It's probably just a flat out mistake. It's early in the game. No reason to think you "have to do it all" at that point. Take what the defense gives you.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And I'll stop beating a dead horse in a second, but final thoughts on this...
These are the exact kind of things that drive me crazy about fans. This play is getting very little discussion. Practically none on social media. Instead, we blame coaching for not running the ball inside the 5 (which is a mistake), and we think coaches are responsible for dumb penalties, missed assignments, etc.

This play right here is a microcosm of our season. Has literally nothing to do with coaching. Lamar's ran this play probably 500 times in his life at various levels. It's just poor execution. Worst case scenario, its 3 points off the board, as Tucker's lining up for a FG inside of 50 yards. Realistically, it's a first down, and optimistically, it might have gone for a TD, because the blocking down field is excellent in that view.

It's quite literally a game-altering play, and it 100% has nothing to do with coaching. It's just players not executing plays that they've been coached to run, and run successfully, hundreds of times before.

3-4 of these in a game (and we had more than that on Sunday) make the difference in the game.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

I agree with this. But I will say that I've noticed several times this year where he has thrown the ball away rather than try to squeeze it in or take a loss. That's progress to me.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
And I'll stop beating a dead horse in a second, but final thoughts on this...
These are the exact kind of things that drive me crazy about fans. This play is getting very little discussion. Practically none on social media. Instead, we blame coaching for not running the ball inside the 5 (which is a mistake), and we think coaches are responsible for dumb penalties, missed assignments, etc.

This play right here is a microcosm of our season. Has literally nothing to do with coaching. Lamar's ran this play probably 500 times in his life at various levels. It's just poor execution. Worst case scenario, its 3 points off the board, as Tucker's lining up for a FG inside of 50 yards. Realistically, it's a first down, and optimistically, it might have gone for a TD, because the blocking down field is excellent in that view.

It's quite literally a game-altering play, and it 100% has nothing to do with coaching. It's just players not executing plays that they've been coached to run, and run successfully, hundreds of times before.

3-4 of these in a game (and we had more than that on Sunday) make the difference in the game.
I agree. Lamar could have and maybe should have given the ball to Drake on that play however, my major props go to Wink for dialing up that exotic blitz package of the 3 defenders lined up behind one another to disguise it. I loved it!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree. Lamar could have and maybe should have given the ball to Drake on that play however, my major props go to Wink for dialing up that exotic blitz package of the 3 defenders lined up behind one another to disguise it. I loved it!
OK, but that blitz looks dreadful if Lamar hands the ball off. That would be a typical Wink gamble that backfires in a big way if you simply hand the ball off. Leaves you no backside protection and the RB is in the second level before the Corners even turn around.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
OK, but that blitz looks dreadful if Lamar hands the ball off. That would be a typical Wink gamble that backfires in a big way if you simply hand the ball off. Leaves you no backside protection and the RB is in the second level before the Corners even turn around.
He misread it, it sucks but sometimes I’m impressed at how well Lamar reads these, so I can understand some misses as painful as they look.

Simba

Staff Member
I'm a little late on this. Travelled to the game in NY and had to do the walk of shame out of the stadium.

Not much to comment but Lamar was pretty bad all game, but was also getting 0 help from the receivers as well. Drake showed up really well and was a big reason the offense was actually moving (along with Mark). Felt like the defense did fairly well from top to bottom, but damn they just cannot get a stop when it matters most.

It always feels like an L when Tucker misses.

You can feel and see the frustration on the sidelines and that's my big concern right now. They need to right the ship and do it quick before it all falls apart. I don't think it's at a breaking point based on the visuals but the cracks are certainly showing.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm wondering where the issue is. For as much credit as we gave Harbaugh for keeping us competitive last year, I think he has to get blame here because the team doesn't seem to be mentally resilient. I have no idea if it's him or elsewhere but there is an issue somewhere in the coaching staff IMHO. The team doesn't look right mentally, and I don't know where that issue resides but it is somewhere on the coaching staff. Players got to play but the players don't have that energy and fun they had previously like in 2019. Obviously winning helps with that but there's other stuff happening here I think.

Simba

Staff Member
I'm wondering where the issue is. For as much credit as we gave Harbaugh for keeping us competitive last year, I think he has to get blame here because the team doesn't seem to be mentally resilient. I have no idea if it's him or elsewhere but there is an issue somewhere in the coaching staff IMHO. The team doesn't look right mentally, and I don't know where that issue resides but it is somewhere on the coaching staff. Players got to play but the players don't have that energy and fun they had previously like in 2019. Obviously winning helps with that but there's other stuff happening here I think.
I'm of this opinion. Blame coaches all you want but they aren't the ones out there failing to execute. My bigger issue coaching wise is what you alluded to - they just don't have that resilience that you've seen even when we were at our lowest. The fight isn't there, and that's on the coaching to bring those spirits back up, Harbaugh especially. You're going to win games and you're going to lose games, but the trend we're seeing of blowing late leads and the cracks in the locker room starting to appear is very concerning right now. It's not at meltdown level from an optics perspective but they have to change that culture fast if they want to prevent it, especially going into a short week here very soon.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
LOOK AT ROBINSON'S ROUTE!!! I don't think Likely was really that open like the tweet says but God damn DRobs route is hot garbage.