• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The DL, The Lamar and Another Blown Lead

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ok, cool RM. But, we ain't passing out any participation trophies. This team looks bad and plays poorly. 6 games in and with what, like 11 more to go? They are showing (at least to me) that they are nothing special at this point.

Yes but at the end of the day you evaluate a team based on the units. OLine looks very good, RBs look good, WR looks bad, but expectedly so, TEs look great, QB looks inconsistent, DLine is great, LBs are bad, secondary seems to be playing better the past couple games, and the ST is usually great. The Outside LB problem will resolve itself so its largely just an interior issue on defense and the offense just needs more consistent QB play.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I honestly still don't care what happens until week 10 and over as long as we can keep along .500. No point in caring right now, this team is clearly far from it's final form and I'd rather get hot at the right time. Look at the Rams last year midseason and the Bucs the year before. get your stupid losses and lessons out of the way. Get me Bowser OBajo and M Williams back. Also get me Dobbins and Gus healthy with this line coming together. Then I'll care

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I think it's really funny how D line and O line were two of the biggest worries coming into the year but instead its our run game keeping leads and our defensive backs not being good. Crazy sport this is..

I called this play out earlier. I was screaming at the TV for about 10 mins straight after this. It's early in the game, so it gets lost, but its a pretty big mistake by Lamar on this play.

Yup I instantly commented why didn't he hand of to 17. He would of been gone green grass in front of him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
My takes:

This one stings for me more than the other two, because its not really technique or personnel that causes the problem. It's just sloppy mistakes. Really dumb penalties, really poor execution of simple concepts.

Definitely one of Lamar's weaker games. He completely mis-reads the zone-read in the first quarter that would have gone for a solid play, but instead goes for a big loss and takes Ravens out of field goal range. Its first quarter, so it goes unnoticed, but its a huge play in the game.

Also completely misses the RB in the flat on 3rd down that would have, at least, made Tucker's 56 yard FG a few yards shorter, and may have even resulted in a first down. Again, two early plays in the game that tend to not be noticed as much, but they have material impact on how the rest of the game is played.

A lot of people criticizing Lamar for the INT, which I agree, was a world-class bad decision, BUT, I actually sort of preferred that they got the ball in such favorable field position, since it allows us to get the ball back quicker and have a shot to win the game. Of course we literally fumbled that opportunity away.

The illegal formation on the QB sneak is just laughably stupid to me. Like that's the dumb shit winning teams don't do. The most simplistic of tasks to execute and we can't do it.

Also, somebody tell Oweh that waving around another players helmet like you just killed a soldier in Sparta is fucking dumb also, and its an obvious penalty for the officials.
I disagree with one part of this take. The part where you state you are glad the interception gave us favorable field position. I understand that statement for the most part, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't make sense. It's not like the Giants were running or passing the ball all over us. There one other touchdown prior to that point was a 13 yard drive, on a short field after the kr, that was aided by an unsportsmanlike penalty on oweh.

Everything else I totally agree with

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I disagree with one part of this take. The part where you state you are glad the interception gave us favorable field position. I understand that statement for the most part, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't make sense. It's not like the Giants were running or passing the ball all over us. There one other touchdown prior to that point was a 13 yard drive, on a short field after the kr, that was aided by an unsportsmanlike penalty on oweh.

Everything else I totally agree with
Right. I'm mostly just laying a silver lining to it. Realistically, you'd punt, and then they'd have to go about 30-40 yards to get into FG range, and probably 70 yards for a TD score.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I called this play out earlier. I was screaming at the TV for about 10 mins straight after this. It's early in the game, so it gets lost, but its a pretty big mistake by Lamar on this play.

it feels like we had 3-4 plays that put us out of field goal position all self inflicted (false start or sack)

we are horribly stupid at situational football for a team that is so heavy on "analytics"

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s been known that his plays got long ass names to it. But shoot, Lamar prolly repeats it 2-3x in the huddle, who knows.

Wished we went no huddle more and just keep defenses on their heels

ive seen this come up in this thread a few times now

was a problem against the jets in week 1

has not been a problem since - lamar's been getting the team to the line consistently early enough to be able to make multiple checks and audibles at the line both at home and on the road - when we're snapping the ball close to the 0 since the dolphins game it's mostly because lamar's been making checks late in the play because he's noticed something like a blitz pressure etc.

been one of the most impressive progressions from lamar this year... how much control he's taking of this offence at the LoS - he and Roman are working so well together with the playcalls and audibles and checks to give us the best possible chance of being in the right play on any given down

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor

yea I was listening on radio at this point and they were saying he made the wrong read, nice to see it in visual format

rossihunter2

Staff Member

should have taken a shot on the fade
i get that the safety's over the top but if he takes proche to the sideline the safety has no shot

it's not a super high percentage throw but proche wins straight away off the line which opens up a bit of separation to make that throw

the rest of the play is a bunch of guys

based on where the progression is there's no way he gets to the out on the near-side - would have to check into that pre-snap based on the defender playing so far off and you can definitely criticise him for not making that choice especially as this wasnt 3rd down

i will say this though... if that's bateman at the bottom instead of duvernay, lamar might check it pre-snap or he'd take that shot to duvernay on the slot fade (my assumption being that he would replace proche in the slot if bateman's at x) - either way if bateman's on the field here i think lamar throws this before the pressure becomes an issue (and he still should have done)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
It's crazy how many differing opinions you see on the boards right now. Hear me out before you just start attacking. And I know some won't so let me just put the conclusion out before the points. This team is going to start playing better football really soon.

I think your biggest culprits so far for the failures of 2022 are:

EDC roster construction
MM soft defensive play calling
Undisciplined and poor execution by players

Imo Eric fucked up 4 positions.
Pass rush
WR
RB
ILB

The lack of just any pass rush has completely ruined what should be a rather elite or at least upper echelon defense. The lack of WR depth was always understood (see Proche and Wallace snap counts) and nothing was done about it. We're lucky Bateman didn't go down for the year. Right now we have only 1 NFL caliber WR3 and he's our WR1. The team bringing in Isabella and Jackson for a workout is an obvious acknowledgement that unit is insufficient and such an indictment on the roster construction. RB they also knew was way behind schedule and until Drake got cut, Davis was the only contingency plan. Now Dobbins has something popping up again. ILB was very bad last year and was totally unaddressed in any way. That's a lot of big mistakes because WR and Pass Rush are PREMIER positions. And for the Ravens RB is also premier and they were just unaddressed.

MM is used to calling a defense with 2 ELITE pass rushers. Right now he's got actual garbage. And clearly there's been no adjustment to play to the strengths of the defense. The defense is soft and it capitulates every 4th quarter when the other team adjusts.

Finally, despite all that above stuff the Ravens have a tremendous number of unforced errors both pre and post snap. Pre snap is unacceptable. Post snap like missed reads on options and over throws are also unacceptable but slumps happen and I expect both of these to naturally clear up.

With all this being said, I think the team will continue to gel and reduce errors. Bowser and Ojabo may help in pass rush. Bateman coming back will help the receiving. Gus can help the rushing. I think these combine to mean more wins incoming.

Last edited:

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes but at the end of the day you evaluate a team based on the units. OLine looks very good, RBs look good, WR looks bad, but expectedly so, TEs look great, QB looks inconsistent, DLine is great, LBs are bad, secondary seems to be playing better the past couple games, and the ST is usually great. The Outside LB problem will resolve itself so its largely just an interior issue on defense and the offense just needs more consistent QB play.
And with all of that unit evaluation of things that you say are "good", this team still finds ways to lose games that they were leading by double-digits. To me, that reveals a chronic issue on both sides of the ball. The offense can't seem to continue to score TDs once they reach the red zone to further stretch their lead and the defense can't seem to close out teams when they have been given more than a 10+ point lead. Those are lingering issues that there is a disconnect somewhere. And until those issues have been dealt with, I expect to see more of the same from this team going forward. Just my view.