• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Way-Too-Early Prospect Watch: 2019

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it also makes it easier to key on the linebacker for the zone read as well as allowing cutback lanes for the rb - makes it easier to sell play action as well
Only problem I have with it is it’s so damn hard to execute it seems, at least in the time that we’ve tried to use it

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t see biadasz as a pure power guy in the nfl, I wasn’t super impressed with what I saw from him as a mauler, but I do like his ability as an inside zone guy, seen a few blocks where he anchors down and let’s the DT in, stalls him, then gets to his side and easily shoves him aside.
I wouldn’t call him a mauler as much as Gaillard but he can maul a guy. I guess when you’re watching Skura you forget sometimes what a mauler is lol so maybe I’m giving him more credit

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some meta-analysis from Daniel Jeremiah after tonight's game:

"Tonight was a bad night for highly rated run stuffing DTs in the upcoming draft. If you can't rush the QB, your value just isn't the same in the current NFL. Obviously, that has been the case for awhile but tonight reinforces that belief."

and an example from Chris Wesseling:
"Vita Vea played 18 snaps in a 38-35 loss to the Giants."

It has never been more important on defence to have a pass rushing interior DL, it has never been less important on defence to have a run stuffing interior DL. The problem for front offices will be parsing out which college DL have pass rushing traits that will transfer. Is this particular player winning just because he's bigger and stronger than everyone else or is he actually good at pass rushing?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Run stuffers will still get drafted and used, but they definitely aren't going high anymore. If you're primarily there to work on the run, you have to at least be able to push the middle of the pocket back a bit. Even if you aren't getting direct pressure you need to be able to keep QBs from stepping up to make a throw.

Derrick Brown might be the only DL that can get pressure that'll be available to use in the first, given our possible draft position. It could be like having another Pierce, though Brown is a bit quicker and better at batting passes. I'd be happy with him, but I think Sweat might also be available and a better choice.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Run stuffers will still get drafted and used, but they definitely aren't going high anymore. If you're primarily there to work on the run, you have to at least be able to push the middle of the pocket back a bit. Even if you aren't getting direct pressure you need to be able to keep QBs from stepping up to make a throw.

Derrick Brown might be the only DL that can get pressure that'll be available to use in the first, given our possible draft position. It could be like having another Pierce, though Brown is a bit quicker and better at batting passes. I'd be happy with him, but I think Sweat might also be available and a better choice.
Quinnen Williams is a must.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Idk about medias opinion or how high you guys are on him. I currently have him in the top 3. I don't think there's any chance he gets out of the top 10.
Absolutely dominant on every phase.
There were glimpses of him last season that opened my eyes and I've been tooting that trumpet since Aug/Sep. Being a run or pass play, being double or triple teamed - it just doesn't matter. He gets to the ball.

Far as his draft stock goes, my hope is that the teams will jump on offensive players early and that moves him down a bit. That's if he declares at all.

There were glimpses of him last season that opened my eyes and I've been tooting that trumpet since Aug/Sep. Being a run or pass play, being double or triple teamed - it just doesn't matter. He gets to the ball.

Far as his draft stock goes, my hope is that the teams will jump on offensive players early and that moves him down a bit. That's if he declares at all.

I hope so too.. But which offensive players are even worth a top 20 pick this year? Ok J.Williams. but even with Herbert declaring and with all the love I may have for Harry, is there any offensive player worth it?
I'm really asking because I don't quite have an idea this time.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I hope so too.. But which offensive players are even worth a top 20 pick this year? Ok J.Williams. but even with Herbert declaring and with all the love I may have for Harry, is there any offensive player worth it?
I'm really asking because I don't quite have an idea this time.
Me neither but it seems that there's way more 2nd year guys on the offensive side of the ball that look like starts, QBs in particular.
So, yep - not very likely we have a chance at taking him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I would cry tears of joy to see a big bodied sure handed YAC monster like nkeal Harry paired with lamar, that is just so damn dangerous in an RPO and an offense that will likely use a good bit of jet sweeps.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I would cry tears of joy to see a big bodied sure handed YAC monster like nkeal Harry paired with lamar, that is just so damn dangerous in an RPO and an offense that will likely use a good bit of jet sweeps.

from watching the live games ive been intrigued by harry but ive not done any tape study on him so cant really say whether that impression will hold up over time

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
All the mock in the world seem to have Devin white in the late teens early 20s... can anyone give a reason why because I see a top 10 guy

If he falls to us, Suggs retires, ZDS leaves, we can then go to a 4-3 with Kenny, white, and bowser as the LB corps, Tim Williams, pierce, Henry, and Judon as the front 4, and I would really like it. I’m disappointed in bowser but I still think he has no business playing on the line and needs to be off the ball and used as a full time SAM in a 4-3. He’s a blitzer and a cover guy, not an edge rusher. I think that could be a dangerous lb corps with a shitload of speed, range, blitzing, and coverage ability.

Last edited:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
All the mock in the world seem to have Devin white in the late teens early 20s... can anyone give a reason why because I see a top 10 guy

If he falls to us, Suggs retires, ZDS leaves, we can then go to a 4-3 with Kenny, white, and bowser as the LB corps, Tim Williams, pierce, Henry, and Judon as the front 4, and I would really like it. I’m disappointed in bowser but I still think he has no business playing on the line and needs to be off the ball and used as a full time SAM in a 4-3. He’s a blitzer and a cover guy, not an edge rusher. I think that could be a dangerous lb corps with a shitload of speed, range, blitzing, and coverage ability.
If White is top 10, where do you see Mack Wilson?

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

In a weak WR class, teams Gon reach for n’keal Harry. I see him going like early teens. Maybe even 7-10 range. I think we’ll be drafting late teens again.
I don’t see a lot of first round WR talent

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
What do you guys think of Marquise Brown, the WR from Oklahoma? A bit on the small side, but he's incredibly explosive and is used to moving around and getting used all over the offense. He's a bit like Deebo Samuel in that regard.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If White is top 10, where do you see Mack Wilson?
Idk man, I like Mack Wilson, he’s not lacking in any department, he’s fast, instincts are stellar, he slides right off of blocks when moving laterally, and violent as fuck, but Devin White is just more appealing to me, he just strikes me as more of a playmaker and slightly more of a modern nfl LB. if white is a top 10 guy to me then Mack is a top 16 guy. If they were both on the board where we pick, id be hard pressed to think of a player I’d take over white, I can’t say the same for Wilson.