• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Way-Too-Early Prospect Watch: 2019

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
As far as WR's go, I still want Deebo Samuel the most. He's just such a talent and explosive weapon on the offense. If Lamar can hit him in stride he can take any short to mid range pass to the house, and he'll be a team's worst nightmare when doing crossing routes while Lamar is in the bootleg.

Though I think the best player available will likely be a front seven guy, and our defense really needs someone that can become the guy in that group.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Grim like I said I like brown but not for us. Brown strikes me as a guy who is a first rounder for the right team and a 2nd rounder for most teams. A team with a legitimate passing qb who can make every throw and has a legit OL could take him as a first rounder, the eagles, lions, rams, Steelers, browns, patriots, chiefs, and with the recent improvement in the OL the colts all come to mind. Discounting other WRs these teams have, he would fit and would be valuable enough as a round 1 guy, his ability as a burner is undeniable, he should be able to beat any cb in the league deep by the time he refines his get-off enough to beat nfl press, and he tracks and catches those balls extremely well, he’s not just a breadbasket type catcher either, he’ll adjust to one that isn’t perfectly placed, he’s got focus to catch them if a db trying to recover gets a hand up in his vision. I honestly like brown quite a bit, but I don’t see him as a guy who can do much of anything for lamar.

Honestly, use our TEs much more, like target them with at least a third of our attempts with plays designed to use TEs well(boots, jumbo formation play action, chip plays etc.) and use Chris Moore as the deep guy. After that Snead and another big bodied sure handed guy would be excellent, that’s why I like nkeal Harry, he can take a slant to the house with his excellent YAC and his big bodied grown man style of play makes him someone who could become a reliable target in traffic
Not a fan of Parris Campbell? I really like how he gets YAC and I think he has good speed and has some explosiveness and he’s thick so he doesn’t look like an injury waiting to happen unlike Marquise Brown. Brown is good and very very fast but he looks like he could be knocked out of a game. He definitely needs to add some quick twitch muscle. I need to see more on Harry

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not a fan of Parris Campbell? I really like how he gets YAC and I think he has good speed and has some explosiveness and he’s thick so he doesn’t look like an injury waiting to happen unlike Marquise Brown. Brown is good and very very fast but he looks like he could be knocked out of a game. He definitely needs to add some quick twitch muscle. I need to see more on Harry
Harry worries me. Despite his size, he's not great at handling press coverage, and he doesn't seem to get a separation that much against man coverage. He does have strong, reliable hands and is good at yac, but it feels like you have to scheme him open. Personally, I wouldn't take him until the 2nd round, but someone is going to overdraft him based on combine results.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Harry worries me. Despite his size, he's not great at handling press coverage, and he doesn't seem to get a separation that much against man coverage. He does have strong, reliable hands and is good at yac, but it feels like you have to scheme him open. Personally, I wouldn't take him until the 2nd round, but someone is going to overdraft him based on combine results.
So scheme the guy open like all competent coordinators do lol. Since Harbaugh is gonna be gone I worry a lot less about that sort of thing. Of course assuming that we hire the right guy.

Harry needs work but he’s one of the more gifted natural receivers in a while. He’s a size/speed specimen, and while that term usually turns me off big time, he’s also a powerful natural hands catcher.

Honestly, if I had to make a comparison based on what they were coming out of school... Julio. He doesn’t do as much in the deep ball department but as far as size/speed/natural catcher goes, yeah. Like I have no concerns with him dropping a ball whether open or covered.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

So scheme the guy open like all competent coordinators do lol. Since Harbaugh is gonna be gone I worry a lot less about that sort of thing. Of course assuming that we hire the right guy.

Harry needs work but he’s one of the more gifted natural receivers in a while. He’s a size/speed specimen, and while that term usually turns me off big time, he’s also a powerful natural hands catcher.

Honestly, if I had to make a comparison based on what they were coming out of school... Julio. He doesn’t do as much in the deep ball department but as far as size/speed/natural catcher goes, yeah. Like I have no concerns with him dropping a ball whether open or covered.
So this reply is to both of you here but my initial impression after watching a lengthy highlight film is that Harry has things you like and things you don’t. First, he has great hands and great hand-eye-coordination. His vision is also good for finding soft spots in coverage sort of like a RB. I still think Parris Campbell is better at YAC but that’s from a smaller sample size. He adjusts to the ball very well and seems to display solid catching radius to make him a sort of safety blanket for errant throws. He has long speed, however, and isn’t explosive and doesn’t do a good job against press or man coverage despite his larger body size. He pushes off more than I would like to see and I feel that could lead to some OPI calls in the NFL. I do not see Julio Jones at all when I watch him but I would say his floor is Rueben Randle and his ceiling is somewhere close to Alshon Jeffrey. I need to watch actual games to confirm these initial impressions but that’s what I see so far.

Taze

Practice Squad
I’m not a big fan of Harry. He certainly does some things really well, but I don’t see him getting consistent separation in the NFL and to me that’s the most important skill in a WR besides catching the ball. Just so much more you can do with a guy who gets open

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve been saying it’s a terrible qb class since last yr. Definitely puts teams in need of a qb behind the eightball. I’m looking at you Giants. As good as Barkley is, picking a top qb in the 2018 draft would have been the better way to go.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve been saying it’s a terrible qb class since last yr. Definitely puts teams in need of a qb behind the eightball. I’m looking at you Giants. As good as Barkley is, picking a top qb in the 2018 draft would have been the better way to go.

Barkley is great but this was so predictable - literally everyone except the broncos, giants and dolphins seemed to realise the direction the league was going and probably saw the dearth of quality in next years draft too

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Barkley is great but this was so predictable - literally everyone except the broncos, giants and dolphins seemed to realise the direction the league was going and probably saw the dearth of quality in next years draft too
Tebow, Osweiler, Lynch and Kelly. I can understand why Elway doesn't recognize QB talent.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Imagine the ravens drafting P.Campell or Hollywood Brown. We're all hyped, but as soon as they're in the castle they can't catch anymore.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Parris Campbell is having an great game today vs Michigan

Ohio State has the most points scored against Michigan.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don’t think stidham is gonna be a good nfl qb. He just doesn’t seem very accurate and isn’t the quickest guy mechanically or mentally. He’s better than mason Rudolph who got a lot of hype(which I REALLY didn’t understand) but I see a third rounder at best.

Not sure where his hype came from. He’s like a Blaine gabbert type, destined to be a 2nd stringer.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I find it so weird that Alabama has this tough and physical identity, yet always has WRs who are speedy finesse route runners. I’m waiting for Alabama to have a top recruit who’s like 6’3” + and big and physical as hell