• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agree, but we are in a completely different system that should benefit him. That being said, I don’t want him learning on the fly, I’d rather move Hurst to LG, play Zeus jr at RT. We can keep Lewis as a backup

my hope is that we have a decent record by week 5 and can pull off a trade for a quality C/G.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thing is, Lewis wasn't good in his rookie year IMO. He was okay in pass pro but lousy at run blocking. He's basically a Jah Reid quality player but we're giving him the benefit of the doubt :/
I never claimed he was very good or anything, but I think he can be a competent starter. That’s really all we need honestly. Even if he struggles with run blocking I’m fine with him being ok pass blocker. Not everyone on your line is going to be great.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I never claimed he was very good or anything, but I think he can be a competent starter. That’s really all we need honestly. Even if he struggles with run blocking I’m fine with him being ok pass blocker. Not everyone on your line is going to be great.
As a run first team, we need to be able to run block. Lewis is grading put as the worst in the league.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
As a run first team, we need to be able to run block. Lewis is grading put as the worst in the league.
We aren’t really a run first team and don’t need to be. I promise 1 poor run blocker doesn’t ruin the run game singlehandedly. Several poor run blockers do and that’s what we have

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
2019 draft has awful qbs. Most thought it would be a wr or ol. We ended up taking Brown and he will most likely end up being a steal. We also got Lamar in the perfect spot. Give him a couple yrs to learn under Joe......patience
The 2019 draft doesn't have that Goff or Luck, but they have some decent options in the first.

The Greek

Veteran
To be fair to Lewis he hasn’t played in like over a year. He’s bound to be very rusty. As is yanda.
true. they now have 10 days to work some of the kinks out with these guys or work on different combinations to get the running game going and improve pass protection

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
well, I'm not sure I agree with that, but we shall know soon enough.
I wholeheartedly disagree with that. There's 2 decent options imo(Herbert and Thorson) and that's it. There's guys with talent that will be projects but it's not kind to QBs. I might not care if we have Lamar, if someone like Clayton Thorson is there in the third round, I'd take him to be totally honest. I think Lamar is going to be a very good QB moving forward, but never a bad idea to have insurance.

I like this offensive line class, and we need to draft multiple guys.
We aren’t really a run first team and don’t need to be. I promise 1 poor run blocker doesn’t ruin the run game singlehandedly. Several poor run blockers do and that’s what we have
I still think once we put Brown into the lineup the team will be decent. Don't tell a certain member this though. Must have an all-madden level team and Ozzie sucks for not having an all pro at every position.

skura and lewis have been the 2 worst lineman for us thus far according to the grades
Unfortunately, we have to play one of them. So the question is which one makes the best center. We've acted like Skura is that guy, so it may make sense to leave him there and put Lewis on the bench.

Bottom line is we need to get Hurst off the edge and we can't have 2 poor performing interior linemen and the 2017 version of Hurst at LG looks like a better option than what we've seen from that position so far.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
still think once we put Brown into the lineup the team will be decent. Don't tell a certain member this though. Must have an all-madden level team and Ozzie sucks for not having an all pro at every position.
Honestly if we don’t have 99 rated madden players at every position we aren’t good. Where’s the edit player button in real life

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I wholeheartedly disagree with that. There's 2 decent options imo(Herbert and Thorson) and that's it. There's guys with talent that will be projects but it's not kind to QBs. I might not care if we have Lamar, if someone like Clayton Thorson is there in the third round, I'd take him to be totally honest. I think Lamar is going to be a very good QB moving forward, but never a bad idea to have insurance.

I like this offensive line class, and we need to draft multiple guys.

I still think once we put Brown into the lineup the team will be decent. Don't tell a certain member this though. Must have an all-madden level team and Ozzie sucks for not having an all pro at every position.
decent in my mind isn't as good as some of the guys that went in the first round this year. I don't mind taking another guy in the 3rd round, but definitely not in the 1st round. That being said, I believe LJ will be a very good qb in this league for a long time, as long as he can stay healthy, and I'm thrilled we drafted him. He does need to learn how to slide though.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I believe the team will be much more than decent. Once chemistry builds and Yanda takes off his rust, our running game will improve and our passing game is already better. I don't doubt we will make the playoffs and I feel we will win the division still.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we're talking OL, I think we need 1 for each spot--1 T, 1 C, 1 G. We need a back-up T who can play LT if needed, and a starting-caliber G who has the upside to be elite. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not as worried about Skura as I am about G because I don't know if we can fix the G position at this point. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Yanda could just up and retire. The guy just turned 34-years-old yesterday and will be 35 next year for his final year of his contract. I don't think he'll be playing that much longer at least not beyond his current deal. There's some good OL coming out next year, so I am hopeful we can get one in the 3rd for the interior to replace Marshal when he goes.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I believe the team will be much more than decent. Once chemistry builds and Yanda takes off his rust, our running game will improve and our passing game is already better. I don't doubt we will make the playoffs and I feel we will win the division still.
We need to sign Cooper if you ask me. If we don't, I don't know what we're thinking. He played well down the stretch in Dallas, only allowing six pressures in his final six games with the Cowboys. Who also run a power scheme.

Sign Cooper, put Brown in the lineup.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
IF we dedicate our offseason to building the O line as a number 1 priority it will be a different team.

We won the suberbowl because our o line was

A motivated Bryant Mckinnie, Osemele, Birk, Yanda, Oher

that is an o-line which is impervious to bullrush.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
IF we dedicate our offseason to building the O line as a number 1 priority it will be a different team.

I definitely think we’ll look different as I suspect Stanley is struggling due in part to the LG position. We definitely need to shore up our guards because Yanda is near the end

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I definitely think we’ll look different as I suspect Stanley is struggling due in part to the LG position. We definitely need to shore up our guards because Yanda is near the end
It's usually the case. Moving Hurst to LG is probably the move here that fixes this shit... Even if the fanbase has overrated his guard play. Lewis looked all game. And frankly that's going to kill us going forward.

Literally a good portion of the oline's problems are solvable here if WE JUST MAKE A FUCKING SMART COACHING DECISION.

Harbaugh better be on fucking notice. I'm so sick of his policy with rookies.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

Osemele was not the KO we knew with Gary Kubiak that year, he got his ass kicked.. A lot. Even during the playoff run. Oher was below average, and Birk was solid. We just had three good olinemen in that lineup and a LG with immense upside... and Oher.

We've got Stanley, and Yanda doesn't look old, he looks rusty. Those two should be fine moving forward with the extended rest. Even Stanley himself admitted that he was fine in the post-game interviews. Even if he misses a practice here and there, we should be good. Orlando Brown needs to start immediately and we need a guy who is a passable LG. So Cooper is my favorite of the choices. But if we are so inclined to suck up to Harbaugh's favorite son on offense, Hurst would probably be better than Lewis at this point too. And any upgrade counts.

We don't need a dominant line, we just need a good one. We don't have that right now. It looks like we have two good starters, one mediocre C, two liabilities including a guy who is a "passable" starter playing out of position making him an utter shitshow.

We solve this RT problem we can probably establish a run game. We do that, we'll be fine. The Bengals game was an abberation and they tend to own us even when their roster is less talented. Marvin Lewis just has our number, and we usually split with them anyways. With how bad the Steelers look and Cleveland still being Cleveland(in that they have a talented roster that just finds ways to lose).

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If Skura isn’t the problem and Alex lewis is, while hurst at Rt is also a disaster... hmmmmm how can we fix this....... HMMMMMMMMMM I WONDER
There's only one logical solution.

Put Orlando Brown at LG. We put KO at RT his rookie year. Why not put him at LG where he totally doesn't belong?

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Osemele was not the KO we knew with Gary Kubiak that year, he got his ass kicked.. A lot. Even during the playoff run. Oher was below average, and Birk was solid. We just had three good olinemen in that lineup and a LG with immense upside... and Oher.

We've got Stanley, and Yanda doesn't look old, he looks rusty. Those two should be fine moving forward with the extended rest. Even Stanley himself admitted that he was fine in the post-game interviews. Even if he misses a practice here and there, we should be good. Orlando Brown needs to start immediately and we need a guy who is a passable LG. So Cooper is my favorite of the choices. But if we are so inclined to suck up to Harbaugh's favorite son on offense, Hurst would probably be better than Lewis at this point too. And any upgrade counts.

We don't need a dominant line, we just need a good one. We don't have that right now. It looks like we have two good starters, one mediocre C, two liabilities including a guy who is a "passable" starter playing out of position making him an utter shitshow.

We solve this RT problem we can probably establish a run game. We do that, we'll be fine. The Bengals game was an abberation and they tend to own us even when their roster is less talented. Marvin Lewis just has our number, and we usually split with them anyways. With how bad the Steelers look and Cleveland still being Cleveland(in that they have a talented roster that just finds ways to lose).

You're huffing and puffing. I can say with absolute confidence that KO was far better than alex lewis even in his rookie year. I can say with confidence that yanda was better than he is now, I can say with confidence that Oher was better than James hurst, I can say with confidence that matt birk was far superior to skura.

Also, Stanley of course is going to say ''I'm fine''.. The wrath of John Harbaugh would stop anyone from disclosing that they are hurt.

Yes, if what we have is what we have then we'd be best served to have hurst at LG where he might just about be average and put brown jr at RT. Ideally we could pull off a trade by week 5 at C or LG for a clear upgrade.

Last edited: