• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
ALI Marpet is worth more than a 3rd and a 5th. If they took that it would be a steal
This is the same Bucs team that took a kicker in the second round so....
They did just get Ryan Jensen in the offseason. And I can guarentee you that they'd rather trade stuff for Marpet than lose him for nothing. They're going to have to pick between him and Kwon Alexander, and next year Jameis Winston.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is the same Bucs team that took a kicker in the second round so....
They did just get Ryan Jensen in the offseason. And I can guarentee you that they'd rather trade stuff for Marpet than lose him for nothing. They're going to have to pick between him and Kwon Alexander, and next year Jameis Winston.
You can’t guarantee anything. That’s a ridiculous statement. Stranger things have happened and with the cap going up substantially at the end of 2020, they could work some cap magic.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
You can’t guarantee anything. That’s a ridiculous statement. Stranger things have happened and with the cap going up substantially at the end of 2020, they could work some cap magic.
Except it's not a ridiculous statement. It's a fact that they'd rather trade him for assets than lose him for nothing in return. It's just common sense. If we aren't going to offer him a fat contract, some other team will, and most other teams can pay significantly more than the Bucs can

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Except it's not a ridiculous statement. It's a fact that they'd rather trade him for assets than lose him for nothing in return. It's just common sense. If we aren't going to offer him a fat contract, some other team will, and most other teams can pay significantly more than the Bucs can
And besides they wouldn’t get nothing, they will end up with a 3rd round comp and the use of him for this yr, especially since they won’t be able to be players in free agency due to the cap

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
And besides they wouldn’t get nothing, they will end up with a 3rd round comp and the use of him for this yr, especially since they won’t be able to be players in free agency due to the cap
And they could get more than that if they traded him... If their season is going down the trade by the trade deadline we need to pounce. Having him vs. Skura is literally the only thing besides starting Brown holding this team back from a competition standpoint.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ali would be cool but you’re banking on him coming in and being a starting center pretty quickly. This isn’t a LT here. The center needs to be familiar with the plays and have chemistry probably more than any dude on that OL. No offense but that’s a bit of a tall task to ask him [Marpet] to come in and be our starting center like that. I’m not sure that’s realistic.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just went back and watched both games (1 and 2) and I have to say I don't know if Skura is the real problem. I think the real problem is Alex Lewis. He has been getting abused since he came back and has not looked good at all. Yanda has been OK but not his normal self. Actually, I think Skura isn't bad in either category. I wouldn't call the guy elite here but I think he's at least a good enough C to compete. I know that isn't a popular idea but I do think he is. Obviously this OL will take some time to gel, but it could surprise people. As I recall, this staff is the same as it was last year when we had Jensen the only difference is Yanda is here and Jensen isn't and we have Lewis. We have the same coach for the OL and the OL last year wasn't bad at all. That tells me a few things: first, we need time to build chemistry on this OL; second, we do need to think about shuffling guys around if there's no improvement. Maybe move Yanda to LG to protect his shoulder if it's still bothering him any, because when Yanda was next to Stanley both looked awesome. Then you could put Hurst in at RG, and leave Skura at C with Brown at RT. I don't think that's necessarily a bad line-up one bit. Obviously, I'm not the coaches here and they get paid to do this. Just some thoughts.

I just went back and watched both games (1 and 2) and I have to say I don't know if Skura is the real problem. I think the real problem is Alex Lewis. He has been getting abused since he came back and has not looked good at all. Yanda has been OK but not his normal self. Actually, I think Skura isn't bad in either category. I wouldn't call the guy elite here but I think he's at least a good enough C to compete. I know that isn't a popular idea but I do think he is. Obviously this OL will take some time to gel, but it could surprise people. As I recall, this staff is the same as it was last year when we had Jensen the only difference is Yanda is here and Jensen isn't and we have Lewis. We have the same coach for the OL and the OL last year wasn't bad at all. That tells me a few things: first, we need time to build chemistry on this OL; second, we do need to think about shuffling guys around if there's no improvement. Maybe move Yanda to LG to protect his shoulder if it's still bothering him any, because when Yanda was next to Stanley both looked awesome. Then you could put Hurst in at RG, and leave Skura at C with Brown at RT. I don't think that's necessarily a bad line-up one bit. Obviously, I'm not the coaches here and they get paid to do this. Just some thoughts.
I looked back on the film and I totally agree though Skura did get beat for a sack, I spotted Lewis struggling more on his assignment on Atkins. He got tossed and moved around like it was nothing. He was the guy who struggled the most and PFF gave his grade a -4.7 which was worst among all linemen which I deem accurate.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I looked back on the film and I totally agree though Skura did get beat for a sack, I spotted Lewis struggling more on his assignment on Atkins. He got tossed and moved around like it was nothing. He was the guy who struggled the most and PFF gave his grade a -4.7 which was worst among all linemen which I deem accurate.
I mean, Skura went against some good talent so if he got beat for a sack in his first real game as an NFL C I'll give him a pass there. It takes time and I'm not going to stress over a guy in week 2. I'm more worried about Alex Lewis but not really there, either. I just want the OL to be its best, whatever that formation is. I don't think Hurst is terrible because if you look around the NFL most OL are eh. The OL from NCAA aren't what they used to be and that is hurting the NFL's product. I'm thinking Lewis' issue is having such a long break from football. He was out all of last year pretty early, and I feel like he missed time towards the end of the year before that. He could just be rusty as Hell. I'm worried about Stanley, but not from a talent perspective but just wondering why he left the game. That still kind of bothers me, but Stanley was pretty good last year (despite what some say) so I'm going to wait on him. I'm sure they'll all improve as we go.

I mean, Skura went against some good talent so if he got beat for a sack in his first real game as an NFL C I'll give him a pass there. It takes time and I'm not going to stress over a guy in week 2. I'm more worried about Alex Lewis but not really there, either. I just want the OL to be its best, whatever that formation is. I don't think Hurst is terrible because if you look around the NFL most OL are eh. The OL from NCAA aren't what they used to be and that is hurting the NFL's product. I'm thinking Lewis' issue is having such a long break from football. He was out all of last year pretty early, and I feel like he missed time towards the end of the year before that. He could just be rusty as Hell. I'm worried about Stanley, but not from a talent perspective but just wondering why he left the game. That still kind of bothers me, but Stanley was pretty good last year (despite what some say) so I'm going to wait on him. I'm sure they'll all improve as we go.
I think chemistry is a big deal in this case. Yanda pointed out that this unit has never played together so it’s understandable. Lewis should be rusty as he did miss a lot of time but at best he’s really only solid which is why I worry if he has just flat out regressed. Yanda should revert back to his old self once he gets healthy.

I pointed this out before but I don’t think Hurst is the worst on the OL, but if we can upgrade from him to Brown then I would hope to see us do it as long as it provides a spark in the run game. RTs aren’t really all that great when you look around the league but it would still be nice to see if this line can upgrade on the fly with Brown because RT is the only spot we can realistically upgrade at.

FWIW, I can imagine a scenario where we move Brown Jr to RT and James Hurst to LG which would send Alex Lewis to the bench. I feel like this is best as it would allow us to run more effectively to the right side since we don’t have to move Yanda anywhere.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
FWIW, I can imagine a scenario where we move Brown Jr to RT and James Hurst to LG which would send Alex Lewis to the bench. I feel like this is best as it would allow us to run more effectively to the right side since we don’t have to move Yanda anywhere.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind that scenario. I think that's why Stanley could not be playing well either because of Lewis' struggles. I haven't gone back to watch it that closely, but just something I picked up on during my second watch. Lewis has been bad and I'd agree with PFF if they rated him our worst lineman because he absolutely was. I don't think Hurst is really that bad anymore. He actually reminds me of Chris Chester--an OK OL, not great but decent enough to win with him if you

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
T
Fuck it. I'd trade a draft pick for Ali Marpet, he's a FA next year, and the buccs likely cannot afford to keep him. They'll have to pick between him and Kwon Alexander, and we're going to have more room. They took Jensen from us, we take Marpet from them. Put him at C. Then bench bad Hurst, and start Brown and the line will be fine this season and moving forward.
The Bills have to WANT to trade Marpett. Have to keep a close eye on their record.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
With Wesley Johnson, Hroniss Grasu and Jordan Morgan in for workouts, the team obviously has some concerns with the line. I worry about the team being overly reactionary to the Bengals game, and am not sure bringing in a guy off the street over Bozeman or Siragusa- who know the system- is worthwhile.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If Skura isn’t the problem and Alex lewis is, while hurst at Rt is also a disaster... hmmmmm how can we fix this....... HMMMMMMMMMM I WONDER

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
With Wesley Johnson, Hroniss Grasu and Jordan Morgan in for workouts, the team obviously has some concerns with the line. I worry about the team being overly reactionary to the Bengals game, and am not sure bringing in a guy off the street over Bozeman or Siragusa- who know the system- is worthwhile.
There’s definitely a problem on the OL. I’m not sure I would trust any of those guys to be plug and play at C maybe G