• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens worked out 10 OL today: G Jonathan Cooper, G Dillon Day, G Jamil Douglas, C Hroniss Grasu, C T.J. Johnson, C Wesley Johnson, G Jordan Morgan, G Austin Pasztor, G Ian Silberman and OT Darrell Williams.
Crowded group and mostly interior guys, DeCosta and Ozzie got the message.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens worked out 10 OL today: G Jonathan Cooper, G Dillon Day, G Jamil Douglas, C Hroniss Grasu, C T.J. Johnson, C Wesley Johnson, G Jordan Morgan, G Austin Pasztor, G Ian Silberman and OT Darrell Williams.

shame it's a few months too late. I wouldnt touch wesley johnson ( awful, sheer awful). Maybe give cooper a chance? This was a really silly mistake by the FO. Reminds me of 2013 all over again. I said before the season started..bad O line = no playoffs..simple as that

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Hopefully its a scare tactic. None of those guys are improvements.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I looked back on the film and I totally agree though Skura did get beat for a sack, I spotted Lewis struggling more on his assignment on Atkins. He got tossed and moved around like it was nothing. He was the guy who struggled the most and PFF gave his grade a -4.7 which was worst among all linemen which I deem accurate.
You do realize what you just said right? You just said he was struggling against Atkins. Geno Atkins. One of the best pass rushing DTs in the league Geno Atkins. There’s not a single G in the NFL that won’t struggle.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah those guys are all bad sans maybe maybe Cooper. I wouldn’t trust any at C I think they’re all guards.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Too little, too late. Could have worked out few of us from the board, would have been a same outcome.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
shame it's a few months too late. I wouldnt touch wesley johnson ( awful, sheer awful). Maybe give cooper a chance? This was a really silly mistake by the FO. Reminds me of 2013 all over again. I said before the season started..bad O line = no playoffs..simple as that
Cooper was having a really solid year before he got injured last year. Granted, he didn't play much at all, but he looked to be turning the corner. Maybe he just needs a shot.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that scenario. I think that's why Stanley could not be playing well either because of Lewis' struggles. I haven't gone back to watch it that closely, but just something I picked up on during my second watch. Lewis has been bad and I'd agree with PFF if they rated him our worst lineman because he absolutely was. I don't think Hurst is really that bad anymore. He actually reminds me of Chris Chester--an OK OL, not great but decent enough to win with him if you
It really is Lewis who is struggling the most. In fact, he's been a downgrade from Hurst these past two games and a shuffle of Hurst from RT to LG with Brown at RT just makes much more sense. Hurst has versatility, experience and was at least decent there not to mention you just extended him so you want value from him. Lewis doesn't have much of that going for him and is playing really bad through these first two games.

FWIW, we could be overreacting here, I wouldn't be suprised if we see a dramatic improvement from the line and a spike in the run game since this is better unit then last year. It could all come down to chemistry. Stanley and Yanda just have to play up to par and the line would see a drastic improvement. I don't think Hurst is the biggest problem honestly and critism of him has kind of been unfair, I haven't really noticed him much and I wouldn't be upset if we kept him at RT honestly, I think the bigger problem lies in Alex Lewis and Ronnie Stanley who have been massive disappointments.

You do realize what you just said right? You just said he was struggling against Atkins. Geno Atkins. One of the best pass rushing DTs in the league Geno Atkins. There’s not a single G in the NFL that won’t struggle.
Everyone knows Atkins is great, no duh. The point is how easily he got beat by him on a consistent basis and it completely ruined much of what the offense tried to do. I think the coaching staff could've done a better job but Lewis was flat out dominated and that didn't help. No one expects Lewis to completely win his match up against Atkins, that's fine, but you can't let him consistently get into the back field with complete ease over and over again. There's no excuse for that for any linemen in the league.

Atkins will beat anyone, the point is making sure that he doesn't beat you off the snap for the entire game. No one expects Alex Lewis to put Atkins on strap, they just ask of him not to get beat off the snap for the entirety of the game, that's why his grade is so low and his poor play is singled out.

This whole thing is disturbing. All this flap to shore up the O-line ... and we've not even sustained an injury. Just imagine the disarray if a key member gets hurt. The guys they listed are very unlikely to be an upgrade.

I have to think the performance of the line should speed the inclusion of Brown into the mix. Of course, that relies on Brown having shown enough to trust starting him, but it feels like we need to shake this up a bit and get him out there to see how he can do.

I have not seen the PFF grades (I know some of you hate them, but for me - a non-analyst of tape, I have little else to go on) ... but how did Skura and Lewis grade out? My sense all along that our best configuration would be Stanley-Hurst-Lewis-Yanda-Brown, but I don't know if that really is a rearrangement of the Titanic deck chairs if Lewis is getting worked. I don't know much, but I think most here agree that we just can;t have Hurst on either edge.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think if there’s any time this season that we add Brown to the lineup it’s now. We have 10 days for him to be ready. If he’s “not ready” yet than wtf ever.

The Greek

Veteran
too late now but i believe a lot of us on the site expected us to go o-line pretty early especially after letting jensen go. we could have drafted a qb later in the draft or in 2019. hopefully it all gets worked out soon.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
too late now but i believe a lot of us on the site expected us to go o-line pretty early especially after letting jensen go. we could have drafted a qb later in the draft or in 2019. hopefully it all gets worked out soon.
2019 draft has awful qbs. Most thought it would be a wr or ol. We ended up taking Brown and he will most likely end up being a steal. We also got Lamar in the perfect spot. Give him a couple yrs to learn under Joe......patience

The Greek

Veteran
This whole thing is disturbing. All this flap to shore up the O-line ... and we've not even sustained an injury. Just imagine the disarray if a key member gets hurt. The guys they listed are very unlikely to be an upgrade.

I have to think the performance of the line should speed the inclusion of Brown into the mix. Of course, that relies on Brown having shown enough to trust starting him, but it feels like we need to shake this up a bit and get him out there to see how he can do.

I have not seen the PFF grades (I know some of you hate them, but for me - a non-analyst of tape, I have little else to go on) ... but how did Skura and Lewis grade out? My sense all along that our best configuration would be Stanley-Hurst-Lewis-Yanda-Brown, but I don't know if that really is a rearrangement of the Titanic deck chairs if Lewis is getting worked. I don't know much, but I think most here agree that we just can;t have Hurst on either edge.
skura and lewis have been the 2 worst lineman for us thus far according to the grades

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
this Alex Lewis love affair by the boards and our FO has always had me puzzled.
Maybe we'd have been best served by trading with the eagles and taking will hernandez instead.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
To be fair to Lewis he hasn’t played in like over a year. He’s bound to be very rusty. As is yanda.

Thing is, Lewis wasn't good in his rookie year IMO. He was okay in pass pro but lousy at run blocking. He's basically a Jah Reid quality player but we're giving him the benefit of the doubt :/

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thing is, Lewis wasn't good in his rookie year IMO. He was okay in pass pro but lousy at run blocking. He's basically a Jah Reid quality player but we're giving him the benefit of the doubt :/
Agree, but we are in a completely different system that should benefit him. That being said, I don’t want him learning on the fly, I’d rather move Hurst to LG, play Zeus jr at RT. We can keep Lewis as a backup