• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Just @ me next time, but while he's not Gino levels of bad.. Let's not mistake him for passable either. He's well below average and was a big reason we could not get the run game going with Joe. At all. If we settle for him a starter next year, even with Lamar everything is going to struggle including the run game. It's just a classic example of us settling for mediocrity. And we need to stop it.

We have only had 25 sacks, which is 7th best in the league. Would I like improvement, no question, but he is not below average as a pass blocker, he could improve as a run blocker without a doubt, but then again look who is playing to his left.

I’m aware that doesn’t tell the whole story

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
He stopped drinking when he got to the states, but shouldn’t have started again.
I've gotten drunk a total of 3 times since I've been back. Once at a wedding, once after finals, once at thanksgiving when a literal dick measuring contest in the family
We have only had 25 sacks, which is 7th best in the league. Would I like improvement, no question, but he is not below average as a pass blocker, he could improve as a run blocker without a doubt, but then again look who is playing to his left.

I’m aware that doesn’t tell the whole story
We get the ball out ridiculously quickly when Flacco was the QB and Lamar is now a hard guy to catch for sacks. Pass protection is important but when you are that god awful at run blocking like Hurst, Skura, and Lewis are, you become one dimmensional and are going to struggle. Let's not mistake what we have for a good offensive line. We have a below average LG and a liability and bad football player at C, and future hall of fame RG who could retire any day. If Yanda retires I won't even get mad. I'll laugh. He deserves it, he's been carrying the unit for years and deserves much better then the talent we've surrounded him with. Words cannot describe how fucked we will be if he retires because the two players next to him aren't "average", they're poor. Chase Rouileer is an average C and he'd be a godsend here. We could've fucking spent our money we spent on Brandon Williams, when Pierce has become a FAR superior player, on Larry Warford. Enough is enough.

This is the problem with the team. All the money in all the wrong places and shit priorities. Fuck this team

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've gotten drunk a total of 3 times since I've been back. Once at a wedding, once after finals, once at thanksgiving when a literal dick measuring contest in the family

We get the ball out ridiculously quickly when Flacco was the QB and Lamar is now a hard guy to catch for sacks. Pass protection is important but when you are that god awful at run blocking like Hurst, Skura, and Lewis are, you become one dimmensional and are going to struggle. Let's not mistake what we have for a good offensive line. We have a below average LG and a liability and bad football player at C, and future hall of fame RG who could retire any day. If Yanda retires I won't even get mad. I'll laugh. He deserves it, he's been carrying the unit for years and deserves much better then the talent we've surrounded him with. Words cannot describe how fucked we will be if he retires because the two players next to him aren't "average", they're poor. Chase Rouileer is an average C and he'd be a godsend here. We could've fucking spent our money we spent on Brandon Williams, when Pierce has become a FAR superior player, on Larry Warford. Enough is enough.

This is the problem with the team. All the money in all the wrong places and shit priorities. Fuck this team

So since we have 25 sacks you aren’t going to give them credit because we get the ball out quickly. Guess we shouldn’t give the Patriots or Saints any credit either because they get the ball out too quickly.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This Ken McKusicks breaks each player down on the OL

Per @Filmstudy

A running tally of the Ravens offensive line grades by game. These graphs offer a visual representation of play consistency and break down the player’s performance into raw score (purple) and a subjective adjustment (red) I make before assigning a grade. This adjustment is for other elements not captured by the scoring system, primarily quality of competition above the replacement level. Of note are the different grading scales by position which is the reason for the difference in the grade lines in the charts. ~ Ken McKusick

https://russellstreetreport.com/201...hs-charts/2018-offensive-line-grades-by-game/

rossihunter2

Staff Member
on the subject of OL Grades...

DuU_II_WwAcCUGB.jpg:large

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So since we have 25 sacks you aren’t going to give them credit because we get the ball out quickly. Guess we shouldn’t give the Patriots or Saints any credit either because they get the ball out too quickly.
The Patriots and the Saints can run block, and have actual quality olinemen on the interior. Outside of Yanda, we don't. This isn't a valid argument. In no universe would Skura be considered a quality or even average option.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I said that backwards and fixed it. It’s lost that thinks Skura is Gino level bad.
Don't put words in my mouth. I have repeatedly said that he is not at Gino levels of bad. Gino was the worst C in the entire league. If you're going to debate me(and btw.. You're wrong), debate what I have actually said. Skura sucks, but in no way was he at Gino levels of atrocious.

But he's not even anywhere close to average. I've gone back and reviewed the tape, hell even during game time a few of us go "fucking Skura" because he makes two or three dumbass plays a game that cost us in the run blocking. Those grades don't take into account that we have been fortunate enough to avoid tougher defenses... And even if the "individual grades" are not that bad, then what explains the fact that we... I don't know, COULD NOT RUN THE BALL AT ALL. An average center would not be anywhere close to being the liability that Gino has been in the run game. Lewis was also bad too, but the C position is EASILY the most important in Greg Roman's scheme. Where he is "average" is in pass protection. Nothing more. When you're average in one facet, and terrible in the other(and yes, he's a terrible run blocker).

I hope I am wrong about Eric. But if we move into next season with Skura at C, have fun. Enjoy. Lamar isn't ready yet as a passer and even with his rapid development, I don't see him taking the leap from rookie QB to Russel Wilson in just one year, even at his growth rate he has a ways to go. But if he doesn't improve, defenses will figure out that 95% of this has been from Jackson. Enjoy. Now instead of the one dimmensional offense we have had all throughout this season, we will have a NO dimensional offense. '

I never said he was Gino. But I will say this. He sucks. He's not average, if he was average we would've been able to run the ball with Flacco. JENSEN was average last season. Yes, even with Lewis next to him. One thing is for certain and a lot of people agree. We need a big time upgrade.

This shit from the FO has been inexcusable.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Graphs posted by @Filmstudy suggest otherwise
Seriously? Watch the film, and come to your own conclusion. I do. PFF supplements my opinion. PFF has given him an "average" grade(but they also gave that to Jensen who was ranked 10th overall in the league), but he's 22/32 possible starters. That says a lot and automatically proves my point of below average. Not to mention we can all agree that oline talent in the league has hilariously diminished. Being 22nd isn't just below average, it's pathetic. "But Ryan Jensen". Ryan Jensen is on a team where they are misusing everyone! EVERYONE! Kotter is a horrible coach. If they hire a good offensive mind they have the pieces to install a solid rushing attack.

There are too many rushing plays in particular where BOTH Skura and Lewis have screwed up royal. Even if the line has improved slightly since Lamar, most of that is the team switching to the read option and running a significant amount of plays out of the pistol. That alone can generate a run game as if Lamar is left neglected, there is potential for a 40 yard gain. With a real center, an average one, we would've never had problems in the run game with Joe... Plain, and simple. But nope, we choose to settle for Skura because he's dirt cheap and he played hard last year, even though it is totally obvious that he is far and away the worst player in the starting lineup and has been blowing it for us numerous times. At least Lewis is actually good in pass protection. Skura is only average.

I'll have to post a film breakdown later.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Seriously? Watch the film, and come to your own conclusion. I do. PFF supplements my opinion. PFF has given him an "average" grade(but they also gave that to Jensen who was ranked 10th overall in the league), but he's 22/32 possible starters. That says a lot and automatically proves my point of below average. Not to mention we can all agree that oline talent in the league has hilariously diminished. Being 22nd isn't just below average, it's pathetic. "But Ryan Jensen". Ryan Jensen is on a team where they are misusing everyone! EVERYONE! Kotter is a horrible coach. If they hire a good offensive mind they have the pieces to install a solid rushing attack.

There are too many rushing plays in particular where BOTH Skura and Lewis have screwed up royal. Even if the line has improved slightly since Lamar, most of that is the team switching to the read option and running a significant amount of plays out of the pistol. That alone can generate a run game as if Lamar is left neglected, there is potential for a 40 yard gain. With a real center, an average one, we would've never had problems in the run game with Joe... Plain, and simple. But nope, we choose to settle for Skura because he's dirt cheap and he played hard last year, even though it is totally obvious that he is far and away the worst player in the starting lineup and has been blowing it for us numerous times. At least Lewis is actually good in pass protection. Skura is only average.

When it comes to OL, I'll trust @Filmstudy

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I do watch the film. I watch the all-22 and so does fimstudy for that matter. You don’t have to agree with it, but I also trust filmstudy. I’m not even worried about pff at all. I only used that as a comp from Jensen to Skura.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I do watch the film. I watch the all-22 and so does fimstudy for that matter. You don’t have to agree with it, but I also trust filmstudy. I’m not even worried about pff at all. I only used that as a comp from Jensen to Skura.
I can't watch OL film.
Eyes always move with the football.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I haven't paid close attention to Skura for awhile but he has never looked more than serviceable...sometimes less than serviceable. Definitely need to upgrade the center position.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I haven't paid close attention to Skura for awhile but he has never looked more than serviceable...sometimes less than serviceable. Definitely need to upgrade the center position.
Even though he has “gotten better” recently, he still gets consistently bulled into the pocket multiple times a week. He needs to be replaced.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don’t know why anyone is arguing against lost here, and frankly I do not care in the slightest what filmstudy grades on skura, because a player can get wrecked on one snap after another but if it doesn’t fall in line with the grading system then it’s flawed and the grade can be misleading. And tbh I don’t remember filmstudys grading system, but I do remember finding it flawed and too black and white.

Skura is quite obviously a disaster, and the absolute worst starter on this entire team, and most backups at every position on both sides would be less of a liability to the team than skura.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I don’t know why anyone is arguing against lost here, and frankly I do not care in the slightest what filmstudy grades on skura, because a player can get wrecked on one snap after another but if it doesn’t fall in line with the grading system then it’s flawed and the grade can be misleading. And tbh I don’t remember filmstudys grading system, but I do remember finding it flawed and too black and white.

Skura is quite obviously a disaster, and the absolute worst starter on this entire team, and most backups at every position on both sides would be less of a liability to the team than skura.
If we had a real center we would've been able to run the ball with Flacco. Hell, if we had an AVERAGE center we could run the ball. Sure, Flacco made his mistakes, but make no mistakes at all. Skura was the biggest detriment on this offense and it's not even close. He made the offense way too one dimmensional. Had we had an average center we probably are able to establish the run more and we probably win the division handily with how pathetic the Steelers look, how injured the Bengals are, and how young the Browns are. But nope, the FO continues to neglect the oline and Skura is a high character guy so Harbaugh loves him and probably told the FO "nope, we don't need to replace Jensen".

Skura is average my ass. With an average center, next to Yanda nonetheless, we would've been able to run the ball with Lamar. This FO sucks and Harbaugh needs to go.